XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

So, three new 5V power supplies, 1 for J6 (NVE), 1 for RX, 1 for TX. Is it correct?

I was thinking two 5V power supplies, NVE and TX would be combined on one board and would be supplied by their own LDO.

I don't entirely understand the LVDS solution here but I was wondering if there was the possibility that the output of this daughter board would still provide u.fl connectors?

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Rod, your card have DFU implemented, no problem! It would also had the new daughter board if it would made in time. :eek:

@ Corpius and juanitox: thank you for confirming the delivery of your cards. It will make my life easier as tracking registered parcels often it proves quite difficult from my side.

Yes, for non-isolated I2S outputs. I see you've done that later :)

Now, regarding the updates: besides DFU (for which I have to upload some files in the driver's package and is done) I want to build a daughter card to improve the SQ by retiming the I2S signals while adding isolation between the outputs and WaveIO board itself. This new card is designed explicitly for actual WaveIOs as the revision will not need it. I'm now in schematic stage, searching for parts that offers a fair balance between quality and performance. Moreover, to keep costs down this board will be build in Q's over 50 pcs. or more. If there's any interest in it among actual WaveIO owners please contact me through PMs.

Kind regards,
L

What is DFU:confused:?

@Lucian:

I would like to sign up for the daughter board as well ... but it would be great to know fist your thoughts on the following possibility: synchronous/asynchronous connection to a Buffalo II/III DAC

As you well know, Ian´s re-clocking FIFO board can be connected in both modes to a Buffalo DAC. I´d love to see something similar in your daughter board

Cheers
Pepe

Hello, Lorien.

I got few questions concerning your famous board:

1 Can Your board be clocked with 36.864MHz generator? In my DAC project I use SM5847AF digital filter and PCM1704 DACs. SM5847AF can work only with 36.864MHz (192fs) at 192 kHz sampling rate.

2 Does the board provide any output signals suitable for sampling rate indication?

I do not know how famous it is but thank you for your kind words :)
1. The simple answer is: no :(... and that's because WaveIO needs two type of Master Clock signals for I2S output ports: 44.1 Khz and 48 Khz families clock sources. I only got 48 khz from your generator (by dividing with 768) but what happens if you play 44.1 file or from the same family?

2. Yes, it does! Looking at the pictures on the the first post of this thread you'll see J9 pin-header (on the bottom-left corner of the card). There are signals for 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192 sample rates. In addition you'll have "Host Active" (when plugged into USB port and detected by host) and "Audio Stream" (when play something).

Hi Lorien

count me in for 1 x daughter board.

sounds interesting:)
Noted, thank you!

So, three new 5V power supplies, 1 for J6 (NVE), 1 for RX, 1 for TX. Is it correct?
No :) There will be separate PSUs for each section. The goal is to provide double isolation to the I2S signal. I would say more but I'm afraid of saying stupid things in case that this new board will no work as expected :D.

I don't entirely understand the LVDS solution here but I was wondering if there was the possibility that the output of this daughter board would still provide u.fl connectors?
Yes, there will be U.FLs as they are now in WaveIO. I'm thinking to add W.FL as well (in the same Footprint - hoping that it will work!). We will see.

I guess that having LVDS connectivity you´ve got galvanic isolation between the WaveIO card and the FIFO reclocking buffer ... am I right Lucian ?
Cheers
Pepe
Yes.

LOrien, What about the DSD firmware?

You have email.
Got it. I cannot use that binary code as it's designed for stock XMOS board and WaveIO is 0.1% different (other pin assignments and so on) thus it will definitelly Not work. I have to make it my own. One at a time...

Hi Lorien :) ,

count me in for 1 daughter board.

Thanks.
Noted, multumesc :)!

Kind regards,
Lucian

Last edited:
@Lucian:

I would like to sign up for the daughter board as well ... but it would be great to know fist your thoughts on the following possibility: synchronous/asynchronous connection to a Buffalo II/III DAC

As you well know, Ian´s re-clocking FIFO board can be connected in both modes to a Buffalo DAC. I´d love to see something similar in your daughter board

Cheers
Pepe
Even if I do love both designs: BIII + Ian's FIFO and have great respect for the designers, my daily job didn't allowed me more free time to look over these designs in searching for this synchronous approach thus it's a little over my head. I saw something here:
Update on Oversampling Bypass H i F i D U I N O
(I hope I'll not break any DIYaudio forum rules)
.. and under "Synchronous Clock" I read some details quoted below:
Thorsten: Further, the Sabre uses asynchronous sample rate conversion on all input data and converts into a clock rate of 40MHz.

Dustin: Again true but not the whole story. You can use the ASRC if you like – or not by simply clocking the XIN pin synchronously (at an integer multiple) to the BCLK. Then the ASRC drops itself out, reverting in this case to a more conventional method as the other DACs I’m aware of do
…The ASRC is automatically disabled if in addition to having synchronous clocking, the clock is also an even multiple of the bitclock. (As an example of a synchronous and even multiple clock, for a sample rate of 352.8KHz, the bitclock is 22.5792 MHz. If we feed the DAC with a frequency of 4X, we get 90.3168 MHz)
Thus in order to support all sample rages up to 352.8Khz and 384KHz material, with oversampling ON and with the ASRC disabled, we need two oscillators of 90.3168 MHz and 98.304 Mhz (that can automatically switch depending on the incoming sample rate).
Okay, if there's need for a master clock signal, synchronous to incoming BCLK then it can be provided but @ what freqs?: I could source (22.5792 and 24.576 MHz) or (45.1584 and 49.152 MHz). Unfortunately 90.3168 or 98.304 MHz are way over what I'm thinking off. I need some help here... :confused:
Thanx! L

Double speed mode is not crucial for synch mode, just that anecdotal evidence for the es901x ESS dacs has been that sound quality improves with higher clock frequencies.

You can apply the modification to the BII/BIII and connect the WaveIO and you will only miss 384kHz and 352.8kHz sample frequencies.

Lucian has said it may be possible to modify waveio to have faster 45.1584 and 49.152MHz clocks which would give you the equivalent of Ian's 'double speed mode'. Is that what you're asking about? These faster clocks might be a default option on the daughter board for the waveio but still are not mandatory for 'synch mode'.

There isn't much magic to synch mode from what I know, other than that the off the shelf oscillators are not in convenient frequencies above 50MHz. It is a matter of preference and how much you trust the ESS internal oversampling and re-clocking or a compromise on a lower MCLK.

Last edited:
Thank you for the explanation @hochopeper, it is really appreciated. That is exactly what I am looking for, 45.1584 and 49.152MHz clocking (maybe doubling the frequency at the daughter board).

To me the final judge is my ear and so because I tested syn versus async with the Buffalo ... I prefer sync at 50Mhz than async at 100 Mhz, it simply sounds nicer to me.

cheers and thank you again
Pepe

Not sure...

Double speed mode is not crucial for synch mode, just that anecdotal evidence for the es901x ESS dacs has been that sound quality improves with higher clock frequencies.

You can apply the modification to the BII/BIII and connect the WaveIO and you will only miss 384kHz and 352.8kHz sample frequencies.

Lucian has said it may be possible to modify waveio to have faster 45.1584 and 49.152MHz clocks which would give you the equivalent of Ian's 'double speed mode'. Is that what you're asking about? These faster clocks might be a default option on the daughter board for the waveio but still are not mandatory for 'synch mode'.

There isn't much magic to synch mode from what I know, other than that the off the shelf oscillators are not in convenient frequencies above 50MHz. It is a matter of preference and how much you trust the ESS internal oversampling and re-clocking or a compromise on a lower MCLK.

Well, ESS says that for proper operation at 192 kHz in sync mode, the masterclock should be >192fs, so that means >36.864 MHz. 45.1584 and 49.152 oscillators should work well for 176.4 and 192, and double those rates if one wants to have "proper" performance at 352.8/384. That said, I am using an XMOS based interface right now, with 22.592 and 24.576 oscillators and it does work with the Buffalo, sync mode, at 176.4 and 192 rates.
Remember also, with the ESS chip one is still "trusting" ESS' oversampling abilities, even in sync mode, as the DAC is still oversampling to much higher rates, it is just not using its async sample rate converter stage.
I am pretty sure that Russ at TPA is planning on using ~90MHz rate oscillators for his XMOS based design, in order to get the best possible performance out of the ESS 9018 all the way up to 384 sample rates.