XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Thanks for getting back to me Lorien. I had read differing reports about whether +5v needs to be connected either at all, just for handshake, or continuously and I am trying to get to the bottom of it.

The reason I'm interested is (similarly) I've read various reports about the benefits to sound quality with the +5v disconnected - but obviously GND left - (or even disconnected after handshake) and I wanted to test these for myself.

I can't get the card to be detected without +5v connected and if I leave +5 connected until after handshake (a few seconds) and then disconnect, then the card is immediately no longer detected.

I've just spent many many hours neatly routing USB cables (with the 5V line chopped out) to the J1 pin header on my WaveIO, only to find that OS X (and presumably any OS) doesn't recognize the WaveIO without the 5V USB line intact. Damn and blast!

Is there any known work-around for this?

Hi guys.

I have an Eastern Junior with xmos interface which had 6.60 firmware. I thought it could be flashed to upgrade to 6.61 using any files from other companies, and tried one from m2tech, and now the DAC is not recognised using usb interface, so it must be bricked.

Can I revert the firmware some way???

:(

@ merlin el mago: did you get your WaveIO board?
@ Hacker & Crom: Stubborn issue! :mad: Sadly there's no solution yet hence the lack of my replies on this matter! I'll continue to investigate hoping the hardware will cooperate!
@ vmanuelgm: wrong thread, I'm sorry!
@ bigpandahk: here is the link to what are you looking for with a small difference: you now have to use "TUSBAudioDfu.exe" found in WaveIO's installation directory to upload new firmware images instead of old path through TUSBAudio Control Panel.

Off topic: After a couple of years of building WaveIOs, I might came to the feeling to design something new...
I thought to post the news here first to see if there's any interest in it before moving on and pollute this nice forum with a new boring thread!
I'm speaking about a new board which is basically a pilot for me regarding a couple of reasons (almost all are technical). I'll not get you bored with unwanted details unless you really want to! but to tell that it's a simple USB to SPDIF Interface built to fulfill requests I got from some of my friends.

Anyway, this new board is built with my knowledge about WaveIO in mind + ~six years after :p As you can see in the attached pictures, this new board is split almost evenly in two. The input side where the XMOS resides is powered form the host (PC/MAC/Linux/etc.) while the output side can be powered form two places: host OR external PSU. Obviously, I recommend the second choice!
Moreover, the "audio oscillators" are now placed after the isolator, on the so called "quiet" side of it! It is quiet enough for my oscilloscope, better than actual board... I must say I'm quite happy about the outcome!
I'm sorry if this PCB pictured here isn't "prepared" as should be... It's my test board.
As for slaving it to external clock sources, this can be easily done since there are two U.FL.s present there for this purpose. If you're going to use external clocks then you can switch off "audio" oscillators on the main board... both of them simultaneously.
Speaking of oscillators, are the finest NDKs I could find, as I always use for all boards I made. As usual, drivers are genuine, made by Thesycon and customized for this new board.
The first batch is a small one! Now I have nine boards here for spare, excluding the "test" one which will be kept for "just in case" situations. Price is set at 89 Euro each, including Paypal, shipping and VAT charges.
Any questions are welcomed!
If there's some interest please put your name here along with the number boards you want to have but please remember that I only have 9 of them.

Kind regards,
L

Edit: TOP and Bottom pictures of it:

Attachments

• BluWaveTOP.jpg
    BluWaveTOP.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 426
  • BluWaveBOT.jpg
    BluWaveBOT.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
Lorien,

Why not !

Better isolators and best LDO regs from today ? New generation XMOS chip? Uf-l plugs also on the isolated side ? MCLK uf-l plug always ?

Same XOs frequencies or a little highers ? (read at IanCanada inputs who likes using 40/44 Xos even with NOS id=f I understood) !

Maybe a good idea is to make it even more universal and allow also I2S uf-l inputs because many of us are using RaspBerry like boards but still need a good clock with good isolator chip !

So just as an idea (and it seems to me you will have even more sells...)

Add it 3 uf-l plugs inputt (with Sussumu resistors very low noise if needed in serie or zero ohms strap for further tweak and desoldering to choose the R value one needs)
Putt : 2 uf-l MCLK outputt plugs (one for BBB boards eggs or SD card drivers) and one for the people who use IanCanada PCM boards or have personnal DAC mainboard with MCLK injection needs)

+1 in this case (the game being to make a good versatil Clock board in fact where the main option is USB but not only :) and I promess you even more sucess than the last one I like a lot :) )

Kind regards

Eldam ( humble free consultant as having no job yet but tons of ideas !)

(If you need beta tester for the sound behavior I'm in too)

@ Eldam: this board wasn't meant to "break" every barrier in therms of performance but, hopefully, to be an affordable USB to SPDIF interface with a fair price/performance ration - at least my version of it!
All the ideas you have are very good but some cannot be applied here.. as the PCB is already made. In fact, I start this board with the idea to design it as cheap as possible. Well, over time, I began to change few things here and there knowing that if I'll add few parts things will get 'better' so, the "cheapest board available" trophy I'll leave for others. :)
Anyway, the "few parts board" idea I had at the beginning got more complex and this is it the limit I set for this design. Obviously I can go way more but I'l step over the desired price range.
So, should I understand from your post that you're interested in one such a board?

1 x carsten.witt
1 x Eldam ???

Kind regards,
Lucian

Last edited:
Hello Lucian,

May I ? It's not aboutt trophy, it's about versatility ! It was the concept which made the sucess of your Waqve I/O ! Needs as DIY are in conStant evolution ! I don't think you will break the frontier of your last price which was near 100 USD/euros by adding some uf-l plugs and a trace or two ! (btw the price of 4 layers boards are far lower than some years and luckilly it can be seen in your new planned price)

I can rephrase it : a this actual price and option (so the same as the previous) you are in direct concurrence with all the others : the well known italian board, the JLSound one, the DIYhink, etc (there are others) ! Even more, one may take the idea for him :eek: ! 2 possibility : make the price constant but staying the Hermes of hand made cutt or follow the others but at the risk to be lost in the Cloud !

Maybe a poll here in a new thread to have a clearer vision ?

to answer to you not + 1 if the same Wave I/O with just better scope improvement, + 1 if more versatil on inputs/outputs.... like I/O the second part of the product name :)

OF COURSE WILL ALL MY HUMILITY IT DESERVES TO YOUR EXCELLENT JOB AND GREAT AFTER SELL SUPPORT (I am in the personn who always advised to buy your product ;) )

Last edited:
Lovely work Lorien. I don't use SPDIF but if it had I2S and measured better than my current WaveIO I'd have one!

The ability to (easily) use external clocks is fantastic and the isolation updates look great.

+1 for Eldam's suggestions too.

+1 for breaking every barrier in terms of performance ;-)

Yep, as I think it's also a good clock already ! For instance I use my 2015 Wave I/O with the non isolates side I believe to be better as some said already with its MCLK outputt to feed just the Ian PCM simultaneous board and just this two devices sound good together... was possible thanks the Versatility :)

I use also it with the full Ian front end but oddly maybe because my speaker or DAC I find this last better without PCM board ! This last being in my setup better direct with Wave I/O at low speeds < 192 K Hz (DAC TDA1541A with uf-l plugs from Pedja Rogic... don't ask who asked him to add the uf-l plugs... your servitor ;) )

Last edited:
I don't think you will break the frontier of your last price which was near 100 USD/euros by adding some uf-l plugs and a trace or two ! (btw the price of 4 layers boards are far lower than some years and luckilly it can be seen in your new planned price)

to answer to you not + 1 if the same Wave I/O with just better scope improvement, + 1 if more versatil on inputs/outputs.... like I/O the second part of the product name :)

OF COURSE WILL ALL MY HUMILITY IT DESERVES TO YOUR EXCELLENT JOB AND GREAT AFTER SELL SUPPORT (I am in the personn who always advised to buy your product ;) )

Thank you again Eldam; your words and positive attitude are a bit overwhelming. :eek:
As you said, few more traces and a couple of U.FL. sockets will not make this board expensive BUT this is a part of what I had in mind. Obviously, the PCB must be designed properly to support the features I might want to add to my future projects still, that's not all! I would gladly share all my knowledge with all you guys but I would rather keep them for myself now and show to you when time is come, properly implemented - again, as I see it! I'm tired to see guys out there trying to implement some ideas in a "fast" method by adding one decoupling capacitors and a specific oscillator on a poorly designed PCB and claiming that the output jitter of their board is the lowest possible on this planet. :)

Lovely work Lorien. I don't use SPDIF but if it had I2S and measured better than my current WaveIO I'd have one!

The ability to (easily) use external clocks is fantastic and the isolation updates look great.

+1 for Eldam's suggestions too.

+1 for breaking every barrier in terms of performance ;-)

Thank you Crom! For the moment I have to live with this one but later on who knows...

Lorien what frecuency are the oscillators?
Since it's SPDIF only (with 192 KHz maximum sample rate), 22.5792 MHz and 24.576 MHz clocks are enough for this board to run properly. Anyway, in software I can change it to double of above freqs. (not tested yet though) Sadly, my 4x.xxx clocks are still ordered and I have none here to put on these 9 boards.

Speaking of boards, here is the updated list:
1 x carsten.witt
1 x Eldam
2 x Chii (thank you)

five more to go.
Kind regards,
L

Last edited:
@ @ bigpandahk: here is the link to what are you looking for with a small difference: you now have to use "TUSBAudioDfu.exe" found in WaveIO's installation directory to upload new firmware images instead of old path through TUSBAudio Control Panel.

Hi Lorien

When I click "here" to the linked page and click "here" in item B to download the driver, "Webpage not found" shown.