XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Dear Luican,
I'm using Arch Linux OS, it don't required drivers for WaveID board, it's working fine. But, is there new or lastest driver for my OS ?
Many thanks.
Quite a bit late to answer but as far as I can tell, there's no need for drivers on Linux, at least not like those that are used in case of Windows OSes.

Have connected my WAVEIO to an OPUS DAC and have got everything working, however I have 2 question. When connected to a windows laptop, when first switched on the 48khz LED is lit until it starts playing, is this the default? Secondly when being driven by a Raspberry Pi there is no sample rate indication. I seem to remember seeing that this is normal but just wanted to check.
1. Yes, 48 fs LED is enabled by default even if there's nothing streaming on USB Bus! That's because the 'default' sample rate at boot time is set to 48 kHz.
2. There are still some issues with sample rate indicators meaning that aren't working as I wish. Please ignore this behavior until I'll have a proper solution for it.

Hi guys,

Just want to add a testimonial : I had a very good result with the Wave I/O outputting with the non isolated side with true uf-l 50 ohms cable feeding directly the PCM board of IanCanadafor simultaneous mode ! It seems that the crystals of the Wave I/O boards feeding with the Mclk the Mclk input of the PCM board makes a very good job ! Good combo !

If you have a PCM dac chip (TDA1541A, PCM1704, etc), this two boards combo works just fine to my ears ! Despite it doesn't use the isolated output.

cheers
Thank you! :)

Nice work on the board. Am I correct that there is no I2S input available? I am going to be working on a PC based audio project soon and am looking for a good 32/384 capable USB receiver. Would want to hook an ADC up which would be accessible by the PC though.
Sadly this hardware version does not support I2S nor SPDIF input. Only outputs: two ports for each kind.

Hello,

Just a little question,
Does the USB/I2S wave IO have a S/PDIF input ?
If yes, does it support 192kHz sampling rate ?
I need to replace my recently dead ESI Juli@ that i used with my external ADC with SPDIF interface. Any recommendation ?
Regards.

Frex
Hello Frex! As I said above, SPDIF input is not available on this hardware version of WaveIO. I'm sorry about that!

@ PJN: looking at your pictures (and avoid upsetting anyone) I would say that the main source for your issue is poorly made wring. At least for I2S...
Let me add few reasons to sustain above statement:
1. As I can see, you wired the V+ pin (power supply of the output side of the isolator) to the +5V external PSU of WaveIO. This is NOT recommended since doing so, you will bypass this chip and its main function = to isolate grounds. The related "isolated" ground (which is reference for all i2S signals) is directly wired to Otto. So, since the I2S signals are NOT differential, there has to be a returning path back to WaveIO's main GND (as long as you powered the output side of the isolator with +5Vdc from J13 screw-type connector). Is there such a connection between the, let's say, GND of Otto (which is also GND of the output side of isolator) and main GND of WaveIO? Check this connection with a multimeter!
If so, how long this connection is? I ask because, for speedy I2S signals it really does matter! My assumption is the GND connections is made through power supplies... and if I'm right... this is a reallllly long path...
2. Secondly, I strongly advice you to bypass Otto - but only for testing purposes! After you'll solve your issue you can freely add it to your system!
3. Check if all your I2S wires have the same lengths and are as short as possible!
4. The simplest solution I see now is to bypass Otto and add a +5Vdc (or +3.3Vdc) wire from anywhere else than J13 making sure that main power supply rails of WaveIO (connected at J13) does not have a direct contact to anything else following output side of the isolator!
As for drivers, firstly I want to thank to Nick for his support but I would suggest you to try first at least one of above HW changes before reinstalling drivers!
Please keep me posted,
L

Hi Lorien,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm not offended by your critique of my wiring, I'm just glad for the help. As you can see this is a pretty crude DIY affair and it was really tough to rearrange the pieces to squeeze in another trafo, PSU and the Wave IO.

I am definitely very confused on the wiring, in the guide it says to hook up power to the V+ pin on J6, I thought I had the correct pin based on the picture. I wanted to run off of ext pwr so a poor laptop PSU would not be an issue. I interpreted the this to mean hook up external power to J12 and hook an additional +5 v power line to the J6 pin, and I thought taking it from J12 was easy.
1.) Do I have the correct pin ?
2.) Do I need to hook the +5vdc power to the pin J6 only and not at J12, just hook the PSU gnd to J12 ?
3.) Do I need another separate PSU just for the isolator chip, + J6 + to pin, - to one of the J6 isolated gnd pins ? If so I can just run the board off of USB pwr and disconnect J12 and hook the 5 vdc psu to the pins at J6,

I took a look at the data sheet but didn't get any guidance from it that I could use. I would greatly appreciate it if you could post a wiring diagram to straighten me out.

I did checked the gnds as you suggested with a multimeter. As wired gnd of the OTTO is connected to the main pwr gnd of the Wave IO at J12

The I2S lines from the Wave IO to the OTTO are ~ 3.8 cm in length the wires from the otto to the DAC are ~ 7.5 cm, I tried to keep them about the same length where possible. The wires from the ASRC are much longer at ~ 11.5 cm from the otto, no issues with the ASRC signal. I don't know how much shorter I can make them, all of the bits inside the case are about as close as I can get them.

Once my wiring confusion is straightened and I have that corrected I'll try bypassing the otto.

Thanks,

Paul

Attachments

• Wave btm.JPG
    Wave btm.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 288
@ PJN: Paul, I'm sorry for this delay and, with your approval, I'll switch over PMs since our post are growing bigger and bigger. Please PM me with your email to avoid confusing them.

@ ljufa: just remember that to switch between power supplies you have to use only J12 jumper. The other one close to USB socket (J8) leave it put on "BRD" position since its main purpose is to multiplex USB inputs. J8 does have nothing to do with power source for your WaveIO!

@ Crom: I know, I know! :)
@ Felipe: I got your WaveIO yesterday and was immediately connected to my old trusty laptop (Aspire 8930) and worked like a charm! Soon I'll send you few photos with it running in full load. It seems there's a problem with your Windows installation or something... Anyway, later on I'll put my scope on its outputs and fully test it.. hoping to find the source of your problem (if there's any).

Last edited: