XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

At the risk of being proven incorrect, i believe this is a dac related issue. If you are using Placid supply, maybe try shunting a bit more current....something in my ever foggier memory says this might fix.:confused:

Hi nick,

Thanks. Not using any of the pear audio stuff other than BIII. PSU has loads of grunt and my Wave io is stacked (via an intermediate PCB) underneath a the BIII so I2S tracks very short. I do however digitally MUX these through a 74HC244 so I can accept another I2S input. Planning to get scope out and look at the clock purity. Don't have another DAC to test to see if its the BIII or WaveIO or some other issue. So could I ask if you can play DSD256 OK through your setup?

Cheers,

Steve

Hi nick,

Thanks. Not using any of the pear audio stuff other than BIII. PSU has loads of grunt and my Wave io is stacked (via an intermediate PCB) underneath a the BIII so I2S tracks very short. I do however digitally MUX these through a 74HC244 so I can accept another I2S input. Planning to get scope out and look at the clock purity. Don't have another DAC to test to see if its the BIII or WaveIO or some other issue. So could I ask if you can play DSD256 OK through your setup?

Cheers,

Steve

I'm pretty sure it checked out ok, but my current setup is strictly DoP. Let me switch it over to Foobar temporarily and verify. I will post back a bit later today.

N.

Hello,
i read somwhere that it would bring an sound improvement to the i2s output to remove parts of the spdif.

Does it also work the other way around? My active speakers have SPDIF in and so i wont need i2s.

Any mods to get the best possible SPDIF-Out? I also read of some guys using recklocker there - is that useful, or just waste of time/money?

Merry Christmas everyone.
Best regards
Daniel

Using new driver 3.26 and firmware 6c6 on win7 with Foobar2000 1.39 and Sacd_input 8.4 and Asio_Proxy 8.3 or Audirvana 2.2.5 on Mac Osx Lion or newer has anyone noticed SACD/DSD right and left channel reversed?

PCM playback is fine. PCM files converted to DSD in Foobar L and R Channel playback reversed.

DAC is Buffalo32s for current testing.

Anyone else experience this?

Would also like to confirm Lucian's recommendations on correct current values for power supply for WaveIO and for DAC in addtion to ensure I2S connections are short and proper along with USB cable otherwise lots of problems for playback at higher rates with new firmware and drivers.

Regards,
Dave

Hello guys,
I'm sorry for my absence as lately I took the opportunity to stay closer to my family and leave professional live for second place, as I imagine you all did in this time of the year!
Still, I have few moments to answer to some of your questions / posts (last chance for 2015 though :)):

@ Luke and Scobham: oh, the driver story again.... :h_ache: Well, despite the fact that almost all the XMOS-based products are backed up with "Thesycon drivers" (as one can usually see on product related web pages), in fact the real story behind many of this, how should I carefully say... lies, is way frightening compared to what it looks at the first sight (with some exceptions though!). In my case, I'm proud that I took my chances and pay Thesycon starting with early days of WaveIO so I now have access to full version of their Windows drivers. I say all this only because my professional relation with Thesycon will grow up and I look forward to see the long-awaited changes in their driver packs so all the problems I'm facing now will be over, hopefully next year (2016).
Thus, based on their promises, I would rather take the opportunity and related time spent on build up different ways to access WaveIO drivers on more productive paths. Nevertheless, we'll see what will happen as I'm still not fully convinced about this change until I'll 'see' it!

Hello,
i read somwhere that it would bring an sound improvement to the i2s output to remove parts of the spdif.

Does it also work the other way around? My active speakers have SPDIF in and so i wont need i2s.

Any mods to get the best possible SPDIF-Out? I also read of some guys using recklocker there - is that useful, or just waste of time/money?

Merry Christmas everyone.
Best regards
Daniel

@ Daniel: Yes, if you'll remove the SPDIF reclocking Flip-Flop the sound is improved in I2S cases... at least this is what've read from WaveIO users but didn't had the chance to experiment it for myself, I'm sorry! Either way I'm fully trusting their word so there's no need for additional experiments on my side!
Still, the I2S port does NOT allow this mod because there's nothing to remove from there! In this case, all the I2S signals are coming directly from the processor so there's no surrounding logic which would do the difference (and be removed).
Reclocker: there's one stage already present on WaveIO board so, usually, you won't need another one, with one exception: actual reclock circuitry on WaveIO for SPDIF signal does have common ground with the whole board so all the garbage from USB Bus will go to output through ground layers.
A better way to do this is to add a custom made reclocker circuitry AFTER any isolation WaveIO might provide for local SPDIF signals (here I'm speaking about the pulse trafo Isolated SPDIF port).

@ Dave: you gave me some reasons to think about it :eek:. I hope I didn't messed up things second time in a row! Still, if this already happened then I'll build up another firmware, with properly made correction!
First time I had troubles with DSD signals, now it seems there are some with DSD channels, I'm wondering what's next until I see it properly done! :confused: :Olympic:

In the end, firstly I want to THANK YOU VERY MUCH for all your time, patience and understanding spent with me!! I know I'm a lazy guy in sending out boards but, after more than four years, I'm still debating if I should make WaveIOs in a more "speedy" manner or preserving all the related (for others = usually redundant) work just to make it shine better (joints, USB connector, mounting holes and so on)...
Anyway, since I don't have any answers to this dilemma I'll keep my habit for now and wish to all of you to live your lives at maximum level with lots of pleasure when listening your favorite music!

Have a Happy and Fruitful New 2016!

Respectfully,
Lucian

Last edited:
Hello Lucien,

thank you for your answer.
I dont understand exactly - do i have to use the isolated spdif out and put a reclocker after that? -

What custom made reclocker unti do you think of? Do you have something in mind?

Best regards and a happy new year.
Daniel

@ Daniel:
...Reclocker: there's one stage already present on WaveIO board so, usually, you won't need another one, with one exception: actual reclock circuitry on WaveIO for SPDIF signal does have common ground with the whole board so all the garbage from USB Bus will go to output through ground layers.
A better way to do this is to add a custom made reclocker circuitry AFTER any isolation WaveIO might provide for local SPDIF signals (here I'm speaking about the pulse trafo Isolated SPDIF port)...

Using new driver 3.26 and firmware 6c6 on win7 with Foobar2000 1.39 and Sacd_input 8.4 and Asio_Proxy 8.3 or Audirvana 2.2.5 on Mac Osx Lion or newer has anyone noticed SACD/DSD right and left channel reversed?

PCM playback is fine. PCM files converted to DSD in Foobar L and R Channel playback reversed.

Would also like to confirm Lucian's recommendations on correct current values for power supply for WaveIO and for DAC in addtion to ensure I2S connections are short and proper along with USB cable otherwise lots of problems for playback at higher rates with new firmware and drivers.

Regards,
Dave

I guess it's possible channels are reversed but i don't think so.:confused:

Really need a confirmed DSD source that is true to the PCM mapping to be sure. Foobar could easily have this incorrect as I believe a channel swap is part of the conversion?

Anyone?:D

Regards,
Dave

Check the link below regarding channel mapping in foobar. Could this be the issue....sure hope so:eek:

[wiki=https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2012/11/17/foobar-configuration-for-dsd/]%[/wiki]

@nickd. that is an old thread 2012 when foobar and amanero both had dsd channel mapping issues. foobar sacd plugins were fixed and amanero allows you to swap channel mapping in firmware to coorect. it was a short but frustrating time for those of us who lived through it. since that time 2012 problem was resolved and since has not been an issue with foobar sacd_input and asio_proxy.

so let's not confuse people with old resolved issues and focus on cuurrent WaveII observations. I did say same problem also heard with audirana on mac which olis different software and OS.

I was hoping someone with JRiver or another player would also report as audirvans does not convert pcm to dsd, which is one way to test reversed channel mapping during playback.

Testing is very easy if you have ripped hybrid sacd source to compare pcm and dsd playback. I also used stereophile channel id track in addition to known music in whick it is easy to hear left and right channels swapped.
Don't need special reference dsd material.

@lucien...thanks for considering my comments, not sure of your firmware code but it would seem the driver left and right output buffer to xmos pin mapping should be straight forward once you are convinced dsd l and channels are reversed.

playback sounds very good... with buffalo 32s and 80Mhz clock pcm 192k max and dsd 128 max for undistorted output. Buff users will know what i mean. also asio is being used natively with foobar modules.

also happy new year and thanks for efforts and glad you spent some quality time with your family.

Cheers,
Dave

Hello Lucien,

thank you for your answer.
I dont understand exactly - do i have to use the isolated spdif out and put a reclocker after that? -

What custom made reclocker unti do you think of? Do you have something in mind?

Best regards and a happy new year.
Daniel
Hello Daniel! I guess this could make things too complicated and, if not done properly, it will do more harm than good! But yes, you can use a reclocker after the pulse trafo so you can keep the galvanic isolation while syncing the output signal to master clock(s).

@ Dave: Nick also confirmed that the DSD channels are switched (thank you!) so I'll make the appropriate changes starting from tomorrow. It would be nice if you can test the new firmware version and report back if this new DSD thingy is finally implemented in a proper manner...
To all of you: I wish you a Happy new Year and a beautiful 2016!
Kind regards,
L

The Missing Link

Hi Lucian,

I can confirm that driver version 3.26 and Image 6C6 are working well under Windows 10 with maximum bitrate. Sounds really good.

Hi all,

Maybe this is off topic but I have to recommend the following component: Intona High Speed USB Isolator. I'm using this little gem for one week with waveIO now and it seems that this is the missing link for USB transport between PC and USB DAC. It gives real galvanic isolation with 480 MBit speed and the sound is fantastic! There is a special version with "NF modification" (LED blinking modified) which is available instead of the standard configuration. Intona-Products

P.S.: I'm not afiliated with that company ...