XLR/Jack stick generator?

Hello,

I look for a sine generator with calibrated output level for use in live/PA systems. Something simple like a stick that you plug on XLR or Jack in order to check level with enough accurancy.

any field feedback on a commercial product or a link to a diy design are welcome.

Thanks.

it might help if we knew why three digit resolution at millivolt level was needed for a live audio application....most of the time your lucky if you get a useful soundcheck in terms of getting levels let alone the kind of precision your looking for.

Last edited:
Okay, here's the story. I had level problems on microphone tracks of a mixer.
I first checked the input sensitivity setting on each channel. Then I swapped the cables and then the microphones, I ended up swapping the inputs. to find that the defect affected 3 tracks., The mixer was new.
That's why I'm looking for a generator whose output doesn't vary with battery wear.

so you have three bad channels on a new mixer?

i would be hard pressed do discern anything but gross differences in level between mic inputs...and without greater details like whether or not the inputs where fed all the same mics and checked with similar sources.

no chance pads are engaged? or that eq setting's are different?

Last edited:

Specifications​

Output Frequency​

700 Hz +20%, when terminated with 150 Ω

Output Level​

-41.5 +4.5 dBV (8.4 mV typical) when terminated with 150 Ω

Total Harmonic Distortion​

5% typical for any output termination greater than or equal to 150 Ω

Output Impedance​

Battery Type​

1.5 V (such as A76 alkaline, 357 silver oxide or 675 zinc-air hearing aid battery)

Temperature Range​

Operating Temperature-12°C to 50°C (10°F to 130°F)-29°C to 74°C (-20°F to 165°F)

Housing​

Steel with gray enamel finish

Dimensions​

19 mm (.75in.)diameter; 141 mm (5 17/32 in.) long

hope that helps...i'm still partial to the Q box's 440 hz output.

what mixer are you having this trouble with?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I found a schematic on an ad. Simple design topology with phase shift oscillator and transistor to lower output impedance. no stabilisation. it's not worth the price :(

Attachments

• shure.jpg
    shure.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 25