X-SOZ... just a dream for now

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
50 Watt X Soz

Hi, one year ago i planned to build a Soz, 50 watts, too

I bought heatsinks for two Monoblocks, which costs more than 1000 $ (Euro).
I think i will go for about 30-40 Watts, thats enough.
I dont want to burn my House or the in house Wires.

Really, the parts for such a monster are very expensive. And since i tried Henriks XSoz with XBsoz i know i will finish these monsters next time.

here some pics, how i will buid them.
Design leaned on Pass....

Meassurements: H: 36 cm, Width: 58 cm, depht: 75cm

Attachments

• jpgx soz1.jpg
    jpgx soz1.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 338
Giacomo Pagani

When you need to buy two of them, in germany you pay about 500 Euro/$ for both.

But then you need further the power resistors. I bought totally 64 pieces of 50 Watt Dale`s to share the heat to more of them.

1 Dale 50 watt costs about 10 Euro !!

Heatsinks, Resistors, Toroids and fine aluminiuim cases are the most costly parts.

Ralf

Ralf, that's almost the whole amp. :D

However, I know that the components are quite expensive... I'll start building it (don't know the power rating yet) in a far future, so I have a lot of time to look for components/bargains.

An another simple question: is a 10 amps wall plug good for a 50W SOZ monoblock, or there must be a 16 amps one as for Pass Labs X1000?

If a 50W SOZ monoblock draws 1200W, given Watts=Volts*Amps, it will draw 1200/230= 5,2 amps all the time, so there wouldn't have to be any problems for my house wirings. Is it right?

Thank you for your patience, as you can see some doubts always come to me.

Giacomo

Giacomo

Giacomo Pagani said:
Yes, that's right. But I have enough plugs, that's not the problem... my problems are bigger. Cost, dimension (placement), weight, WAF, skill for building the case (very hard I see), finding parts and maybe something else...

I think there's enough pain.... :xfingers:

Cheers
Giacomo

..yes, it will be a heavy duty mechanical job, you need equipment for making it. a solder gun, only is not enough. and you will need any Euro, the more power, the more expensive.
I calculated my X Soz for about 150 to 180 lbs -per channel!

I think a aleph x should be as good or better, and way cheaper.
Next time i start building my first aleph x.

Ralf

An Aleph-X?

I don't know, do you think it's better?

If a 50W XSOZ is too much for me, I would think about scaling down the output power, not changing amp.

I haven't looked at Aleph-X yet, is it still no-feedback?

I have to decide carefully, I thought that SOZ was the "cleanest" Pass Amp (simplest ecc. ecc.), with the only problems of little power and low damping factor... isn't it right?

I know that there are several versions of Alephs too...

I'll take a look on the thread.

Cheers
Giacomo

Giacomo Pagani said:
An Aleph-X?
I have to decide carefully, I thought that SOZ was the "cleanest" Pass Amp (simplest ecc. ecc.), with the only problems of little power and low damping factor... isn't it right?
Cheers
Giacomo
Little power and low dumping factor are not problems in itself, the just reduce the number of potential "marriages" with loudspeakers... they need the right mate... but you already have the right one.;)

ciao,
Roberto Amato

You're right Roberto, I know that I've got the right speakers for a SOZ. That's why I'd prefer it to an Aleph.

I'm seriously thinking about scaling down the power rating...
Maybe 20 or 30 watts, as Gnomus said.

I'd prefer something more than 10 watts, Ralf, so I'll be sure to avoid problems while listening to my favourite rock groups :D
I don't think that 20 watts is impossible.

As usual, thank you all for your kind attention.

Giacomo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.