x-over experiments, diff. orders etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
rabbitz said:
Did you try reversing the polarity on the tweeter, then the woofer, then both? 2nd order xo's normally have polarity reversed. Worth a try.
Hi rabbitz,

I've not really tried any polarity changes yet, other than absolute polarity a few times before, but in all honesty I couldn't put a finger on what I heard, certainly neither way seemed obviously superior. Perhaps the phase anomolies in my system as a whole are masking such subtle differences.

I will try the tweets in reversed phase when I get home, only about an hour or two to go!! :bawling:

Simon...

.. if you try a zeta 1.2 as your first try with the series x-o, I very much doubt you will have too much mids. Zeta 1.2 should form a shallow dip through the x-o region, very much like the old BBC dip , but because the slopes are a bit shallower, it will put a bit more strain on the tweeter. Seas tweets can handle this cos they are very well built !!

do try to make sure you use nice thick wire in the coil, to keep the dcr down as much as possible.

Have Fun.... if you do try it, please let me know the outcome.

Ok Andy, but it may be some time :(

BTW, I tried inverting the tweeters' phase, it sounded crap, so I guess they were 'correct' in the first place. I also popped on a little resistance on my tweeters, I think it's better balanced this way, but even a small MOX resistor takes a lot of life away :(

I've lost the resistors I bought for a zobel network, but I'll try one when I find them! At some point I'll put my mid/basses back on the original 2nd/order x-overs, to refresh me with my long-term reference... :idea:

But it's a Friday tomorrow, and my Fridays usually consist of work, gym, then :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

(if only I had enough money for Fri. nights *and* x-over parts!)

oh and.....

... while it is probably better to use zobels on the woofs in a series x-o, (and a parallel x-o for that matter) when working with a pair of 8ohm drivers in parallel you have to be pretty darn sure your amp can cope with low impedances. and it is probably wise to check with software of some sort if you can , just to see how low the impedance does drop when you put the zobels in, because they can lower the overall impedance even further !!!.

ie... be very careful !!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.