X-Calibre : Hot Rodding Mauro Penasa's LM3886 design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
salesmonster said:
I have a few questions regarding this design:

The BOM calls for 1n4007 and the silkscreen calls 1n4001. In this application, is there a functional (or sonic) difference? Any preference?

Also, the BOM specs a JQX-14fc1-c for the relay. I'm a newbie regarding relays, what equivalent parts would replace this part in form, fit, and function? A Mouser available part would be very helpful.

I hope to upload a BOM soon with Mouser sourced parts for the entire board.

Dave

you can use the OMRON GR2L 1-pole 24V unit
regarding the diodes. there is no sonic difference. you can use either

one more tweak...

Given you guys seems to be open to experiments, why not try this one?

Use a (possibly much) smaller value for R39,R40. I would try 220K, 100K, 47K and... "nothing", that is just short-circuit C34 & C35 so that you'll have about 22K (R43,R44) there.

(I would try the last option first. Not only it's the simplest & quickest hack to implement, but the most "extreme" setting too...).

Basically this mod. will reduce the gain of the 318 by applying more local NFB around its output stage (sort of). Its output impedance should be reduced accordingly, which should give more balance to the HCP "bridge" (good).

In turn this will increase the open loop output impedance of the HCP "bridge" (good) and reduce the amplifier overall loop gain (as a side stability should improve), deeply altering all the characteristics of the amplifier.

I would expect some rather evident sonic changes... perhaps in the right direction (but maybe not). Let' try it and let us know about the results... :cannotbe:

My interpretation of the X-Calibre:

This has been optimized to be manufactured by Olimex. It is set up to use only their standard drill sizes and their SSS Proto Panel (160mm x 100mm).

All silkscreen lines have been increased in size to meet Olimex's minimum specs. A few components have been moved as allowed by the component package size, to match the parts called for in the attached BOM. A few stray traces have been removed as well.

I have NOT produced this board yet, though I plan too. Use the files at your own risk, but hopefully it will help someone reach the goal of building this amp.

Included are the BOM, and a single and dual layer version of the PCB. The PCB files include the Excellon drill files, and the Gerber files for the copper, silkscreen, soldermask for both sides of the board. Also included are the Sprint .LAY files for anyone who wants to change things around.

Please feel free to make any comments. Hope it helps!

Attachments

• x-calibre bom.zip
    8.6 KB · Views: 202
The .lay files are Sprint files. You can find a viewer here: http://abacom-online.de/uk/html/dateien/demos/viewlayout50.exe

The .gbr files are Gerber files that are used by a lot of PC Board manufacturers to do the copper and silkscreen layers on a board.

The .drl file works with the Gerber file. It is a drill hole file. It indicates the size and location of each hole.

If there is any interest, I have tweeked the 1 Layer and 2 Layer boards to make for easier manufacturing. I used the DRM checker @ batchpcb.com to verify manufacturability (The one at 4pcb.com was driving me NUTS).

The size (100mm x 160mm) was chosen because it is a standard panel size at olimex.com. It looks like they can build the 1 Layer version for $26 and the 2 Layer version for $33. The only functional difference between the 2 versions is the use of wire links and zero ohm resistors.

With Olimex it looks like shipping to the US would be $9 for slow boat shipping.

BatchPCB.com looks like they may actually be a better choice if you are looking for a contact based in the US. They contract out to Asia for the manufacturing, while they are the re-seller.

Has anyone used either of these 2 companies?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.