(WW) MMTMM dipole – 4 vs 3 way / dipole benefit frequencies?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
bjorno said:

In my opinion...
1(4)

Hey, thanks for doing all that work again. Fantastic, and certainly worth a thorough read and digestion. Given that, I won't make any reply now - I'll start afresh with a cup of coffee and more hours in the day, rather than with a beer and running into overtime ;)

I've got far too confused about Latin and Greek this evening to make any sense of speaker design, if you're unlucky enough to read my post on Chilliapedes.

Paul W,
If you're still reading - just wondering what your thoughts are on the two woofers you used in the Mules:

Given you used a Sub too, what advantages did the 26 and 22 inch speakers give? I don't suppose you got any measurements as to whether just the 26s would do the job (perhaps without a sub for 2 way music) or whether 22s are fine (26 unnecessary) assuming a sub is also included.

I wonder if it was less to do with frequency handling of speakers, than about moving enough air without excessive cone movement (noting your comments about wanting low distoration)?

Hope you get this! Thanks in advance

The W22's were used as a lower mid, the W26's were the woofers doing the heavier lifting down to about 50Hz where they crossed to IB subs. Offloading the bass from the W22's below 200Hz reduced excursion (in pursuit of the cleanest practical midrange). SL uses the W22 up to 1.4k and, I think, down to 140Hz...so you'd want a clean sub driver to match with it. Because of the violent breakup, I wouldn't use the W26 much above 800...and then only with a waveguide tweeter to match radiation patterns. Both the W22 and W26 are exceptionally good drivers.

I don't have any measurements from the Mule days (I've lost two HDDs since then...one day I'll learn to back up). Here are a couple of W26 shots from more recent times on a different baffle.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thanks Paul. I guess a loss of driver either would be a comprimise.

Another comprimise is moving the woofers to the foot of the cabinet, more like SL's/or Jon Marsh's elsewhere. Potential for stronger bass with an H frame or such like, but probably a slightly poorer sound stage? If any layouts avoid need for a sub that would be positive.

From my experiments so far, I imagine any theortical differences are no more important than how each woofer layout interacts with the room and what any individual prefers.

I imagine the only thing I can do to decide is order my woofers and throw together both versions as crudely as this one - then work on a design with better between-driver distances based on the winner.

...unless anyone has any comments on the location of woofers in the meantime :)

Don't know your SPL requirements but, if you want to try to get away without a subwoofer, perhaps consider the Aurasound NS-12 for the woofers. Costs less, more displacement, and some of the guys have measured excellent performance. As long as you keep the xo low, I doubt you'll give up much in soundstage with both woofers on the bottom. With both woofers low, make sure you can still mount the tweeter at seated listening height...a "must do" for the symmetrical layout to work well.

Paul W said:
Don't know your SPL requirements but, if you want to try to get away without a subwoofer, perhaps consider the Aurasound NS-12 for the woofers.

That's Sunday's task. I'm going to try and pick out something suitable for either use on the panel top&bottom or in a sub.

...thanks for the suggestion, but as ever, Europe is void of comprehensive range of speakers (it looks like they have distributors, but that's for more mainstream products). I'll have to pick something from a supplier like BMM ... ordering from US isn't bad with strong pound, but given every other thing I buy has a fault these days, I don't fancy even the tinies risk of sending 12" woofers back and forth ;)

I did find a potential candidate to use instead of the warty mids (sorry, dome mids - I really don't like them aesthetically). A Davis speaker i'd not discovered was pointed out on this thread :)

Much obliged for your above advice, as ever!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.