wtfplay project - Linux based PC playback system

Intel NUC fanless

1685612429037.png

As far as different platforms and how they sound with WTF - I was using an INTEL i5 10400F so I could try the AVX instructions - not sure I heard much of anything better from that.

I have recently got a very fancy ASUS mb using an AMD CPU recommended to me by Blitz - it is a lavish board and the CPU has eight cores - absurdly over-engineered - but it does sound better than what I was using. This board has very trick filtering of the power to the CPU and one can never go wrong with that.

So I have gone from super simple boards with a two cores CPU to this - which was purchased for the intention of following Blitz's findings at his recommendation - one can say that WTF always sounds good no matter the platform but I remain convinced that it will always sound its best with a dedicated motherboard and a minimized BIOS and as pure a power supply as you can find. Even trick CPU power filtering benefits from a better supply - in my case the HDPLEX 400 watts linear.

Not at all - I got it on the recommendation of Blitz who used this as the basis of tickless kernel DIETPI based MPD player.

ASUS Crosshair VII - I did not get the one with wifi since I prefer to do this with a LAN to WIFI adaptor.

An AMD RYZEN 5700X CPU was part of the recommendation. I have written a compilation of Blitz's approach in this forum.

Being an admirer of WTF and its incredibly small size I am taken aback by the 1Gb this system requires.

There was just a general sense of more silence in the ground - the chokes in the CPU supply filter? Who knows?

The board is huge - my previous bias had been the smaller the board the better but that was based upon what I had experienced in the past. I have never owned a board like this one.

The BIOS is extensive and consequently it takes a surprisingly long time to enter "BIOS".

I had never used an AMD CPU before and maybe there is something to that?

The board was not bought to use with WTF but it was interesting to hear how it performed using WTF.

I have ground loop problem so have to use Adum3160 usb isolator. And when I play WTFPlay, it stutters horribly. Tried changing the buffer size and it's not working. Why this happened? is it because Adum3160 only supports low speed and full speed (12mbps)? The files I play are only flac 16/44.1. Should I use a high speed 480mbps usb isolator so that it doesn't experience stuttering on WTFPlay?

@phofman is correct. My current working hypothesis (which may be wrong) is that Topping E30 is UAC 2.0 only device with ASYNC feedback mode. This mode is available only on USB 2.0 bus. When you use the isolator, the the bus is degraded to USB 1.1 and the ASYNC feedback is not used. In consequence the DAC's clock is running free and the device experiences buffer xruns. Again - that is just an idea.

The best recommendation is to try USB 2.0 isolator if you have one available.

Hello

I'm just discovering this software and it seems that the quality is there.
However, I have a problem with my sound cards.
With the Sound Devices USB Pre2 I can only read files in 44.1 and 48khz. All files with higher frequencies do not read.
And with the Cranborne 500R8 no playback possible.

Unfortunately, I think it's a driver problem.
But I wanted to have your opinion.

Thanks

I've tried both sound cards with Linux Mint and i can play audio files at 96 khz.
is there a way for my sound cards to be perfectly recognized also with this version of Linux which is used for wtfplay?

my computer is a Macbook Pro 2012 i7 16g

Last edited:
Almost all desktop Linux distros use Pulseaudio/Pipewire. They can resample the sound stream to match the hardware capabilities. And even if they do not do that then popular audio players do. It's quite possible that you observed exactly that. To verify that the actual rate that your hardware is using type the content on /proc/asound/cardX/stream0 during playback. X is the sound card number assigned to you USB interface.

You're right for the sound device usb pre 2

Sound Devices USBPre2 at usb-0000:00:14.0-2, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
Interface 1
Altset 1
Format: S16_LE
Channels: 2
Endpoint: 0x06 (6 OUT) (ASYNC)
Rates: 8000, 16000, 24000, 32000, 44100, 48000
Data packet interval: 1000 us
Bits: 16
Channel map: FL FR