WOW! I Am Getting Interested

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
despotic931,

Make sure Jon includes his EnABL'd PM6A's in that demo. Then you will know what it is and why we do this silly looking procedure. These are sensationally good speakers, right out of the box, even without the polka dots. That's why I own a pair and still haven't put the patterns on.

Bud

BudP said:
despotic931,

Make sure Jon includes his EnABL'd PM6A's in that demo. Then you will know what it is and why we do this silly looking procedure. These are sensationally good speakers, right out of the box, even without the polka dots. That's why I own a pair and still haven't put the patterns on.

Bud

I'd like to try and test the EnABL technique myself. Although it sets off my ******** detector, I see a way that the physics could in fact potentially work the way it's claimed. So I'd like to try and measure.

Is it really anything much more than painting the little dashes on the cone boundaries with a little Testors in your Favorite Color? ;-)

[NM, found the MegaThread on the subject]

BudP said:
xiphmont

Well, I should hope it sets off your BS detector. Means your still alive. All aboard that mad thread are just exhausted with the thing. And, we are only just now getting around to some serious testing.

Also, go here and read what Alex has to say. Your shorts will really be in a twist after he is done with you.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116773

Bud

...why didn't he just use aluminum tape...? You can even get it in the tiny thin width the 'dots' should be.

Anyway, I still see no measurement, no careful testing, no graphs, no ABX... what's there to get my panties in a twist about? All this effort and not yet any solid information. Sigh. I'm half-tempted to make a post about putting EnABL dots on speaker cables and pets.

Jury's still out in my head, but talk about sound and fury....

...time to pull out the calibrated microphones.

Jury's still out in my head, but talk about sound and fury....

...time to pull out the calibrated microphones.

We will be delighted to have your time wasted upon our sorry selves, collectively. Besides, everyone should post on the thing at some point, just to get the merit badge. Spotted python cables ought to do fine....

Bud

BudP said:

We will be delighted to have your time wasted upon our sorry selves, collectively. Besides, everyone should post on the thing at some point, just to get the merit badge. Spotted python cables ought to do fine....

Bud

Well, I need to do some new cabinet/driver measurement anyway. I'll toss this on the heap of things to try out. Like I said; this one is one of the incredible claims where I look at the physics and think, "hm, OK, that *might* have an audible effect." I don't believe it yet, but I'm interested enough to try it.

First off, thanks for the advise, its appreciated.

My very first set of speakers will be a small set of OB bookshelves, ala ttan98's recommendation. I remembered that I have a set of unknown speakers sitting in the cupboard, somebody had destroyed the rest of the box (don't ask, I don't know :xeye: ), so they're basically OB already. A lick of paint and a stand and we're in business.

Because that's a sweetly cheap option, I'm leaning towards a miniOnken as the bedroom speakers. The FR125's are a bit easier to find down here (more accurately, I know of one place that sells them and a place to get some second hand...).

Still feeling a little overwhelmed with options for the bigger room, so I'll finish the OB and miniOnken and then decide where I want to go from there.

xiphmont ,

When you get to that point, please contact me for pre flight check out. There is a relatively narrow window of number of pattern blocks that will work and some driver specific placement of the blocks, to know about.

I can usually do a virtual pattern,on a driver picture, for drivers I have not treated. There are a growing number of treatment teachings and paper doll cut out, pattern guides, for specific drivers, on the forum.

Secips,

You are certainly welcome to the information. I just hope it proves useful to you.

Bud

BudP said:
xiphmont ,

When you get to that point, please contact me for pre flight check out. There is a relatively narrow window of number of pattern blocks that will work and some driver specific placement of the blocks, to know about.

I can usually do a virtual pattern,on a driver picture, for drivers I have not treated. There are a growing number of treatment teachings and paper doll cut out, pattern guides, for specific drivers, on the forum.

Secips,

You are certainly welcome to the information. I just hope it proves useful to you.

Bud

I'm waiting for the autographed merit badge and wall plaque

"a bona-fide member of Bud's audio peep-dom"

:cannotbe:

xiphmont....

try the "Sam Tellig" $1.20 "trick". Then tell me about the "magic" and BS.

I haven't tried the EnABL process, but knowing some of these folks personally. if they say there is an improvement, I'd at least contemplate it.

If the $1.20 "trick" doesn't work for you, then perhaps your hearing has dropped off quite a bit. Everyone that I have done this too come away completely amazed, and all were doubting anything could be heard, until they did.

stew

BudP said:

Will do. It will probably be a little while until I can, just so you know, but it sounds like this isn't going to be over and done anytime soon :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.