Wow, another DIYZone Pass Clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
GRollins said:
Theft is theft. Whether you like the person or approve of their pricing structure is no justification for stealing. You're just trying to rationalize bad behavior.

P.S.: You should look up the meaning of "fair use" before trying to bring it into this discussion.

Fair use went the way of the dodo with the DMCA.

I don't download music illegally. I download it from the websites of independent artists, the "sounds" page of the Steely Dan website, and other places where it's freely offered. (The one exception is for a few Los Amigos Invisibles songs...and I bought that CD.)

I despise the industry in general. I also don't like much modern music. Stealing is wrong, but stealing from people who drive ginormous $60,000 SUV's and repleatedly cut you off on the freeway just feels good.

The assorted record labels have jacked up prices and put out increasingly large amounts of music damaging to young people. (I've seen five-year-olds saying "I wanna be a hustla' when I grow up". Not an astronaut, not a doctor - a dealer. And don't get me started on the misogyny.)

Also, what about LP's? I've paid for my copy of a Sting and the Police on LP; I want it in .mp3 without having to muck around with filters and an ADC. Sure, it was from a garage sale...but it's my music! I want to listen to it!

I don't like the Rolex/Gucci knock-off aspect of these audio products that clearly makes them more commercial than one-off hobbiest looking things. Its not just a Chinese thing, as American buyers are very fussy about appearance, as evidenced in Audiogon. Real audiophiles ought to care most that it sounds musical!

That web site has some impressive pictures of the insides of things. The American audio press lacks this more than the press in other countries and I hate it. I'm really curious about what parts are used and here I have to take home a demo unit to open!

While it looks identical how do you guys know that it is identical inside? In some ways a copy like that could be considered flattering of an existing design but if its an identical copy through out then I agree its wrong. Lets not forget the person on this site in Colorado that also had that identical case done in multiples via CNC. I don't recall anyone criticizing him at all! Its not that difficult to manufacture that case. I don't think he ever assembled anything into them.

I too agree that many countries have left us in the dust re: DIY stuff. There is some amazing stuff being built in those areas of the world.

Mark

Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:
While it looks identical how do you guys know that it is identical inside? In some ways a copy like that could be considered flattering of an existing design but if its an identical copy through out then I agree its wrong. Lets not forget the person on this site in Colorado that also had that identical case done in multiples via CNC. I don't recall anyone criticizing him at all! Its not that difficult to manufacture that case. I don't think he ever assembled anything into them.

I too agree that many countries have left us in the dust re: DIY stuff. There is some amazing stuff being built in those areas of the world.

Mark

haha, that guy is me.

i just got the cases powdercoated and will have them done this week. unfortunately, they wont have pass labs guts, they will be class-D. thats probably worse than that DIYZone is doing... haha.

i didnt hear anyone criticizing me for doing what i did, everyone seemed pretty impressed. MANY MANY MANY people emailed me to buy copies of the cases though. i made 5 initially, but ended up only using 2 of them. i never planned to make them for profit and i sold them for what i paid (maybe less). they are VERY pricey to make. it IS difficult to manufacture that case, trust me. its very pricey. if you do it right of course. it looks like they cut some corners. theirs look a bit cheap.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
While it looks identical how do you guys know that it is identical inside?

The case design is one thing, the circuit is another issue altogether. DIYZone had used other Pass Labs circuit designs in the past. What's to say they are not stealing circuit ideas again and selling as their own? Point being this isn't the first time.

I was the original poster of this thread. They took the amp off their web site after a protest was made.

It is an exact clone of the Aleph 1.2 based on Nelson's service manual, with a different component layout on the PCB's. This is also a for profit business and the kit was 100% complete, right down to every screw, washer, matched mosfet, and a power cord needed to built it. These guys are geared to make hundreds of kits. Cloning Pass Labs current packaging is particularly offensive. If I were Nelson, I'd be pretty angry. It's no accident that the Pass Labs service manuals were pulled after this kit was published.

Everyone knows Cowanrg from his contribution and participation on this site, and he is definitly not in the audio clone business. I personally look at Cowanrg's case as a true DIY effort. He made a handful of cases and then changed directions and sold them for a loss.

Cowanrg, BTW you made awesome cases with a great deal of personal passion and effort. Very very nice work indeed.

-David

thanks a lot.

i dont know nearly as much as most of you guys on here, im still a beginner, but i know people, and i know how to get things done :)

my project is more of a tribute to nelson, rather than a ripoff.

dw8083 said:
I was the original poster of this thread. They took the amp off their web site after a protest was made.

It is an exact clone of the Aleph 1.2 based on Nelson's service manual, with a different component layout on the PCB's. This is also a for profit business and the kit was 100% complete, right down to every screw, washer, matched mosfet, and a power cord needed to built it. These guys are geared to make hundreds of kits. Cloning Pass Labs current packaging is particularly offensive. If I were Nelson, I'd be pretty angry. It's no accident that the Pass Labs service manuals were pulled after this kit was published.

Everyone knows Cowanrg from his contribution and participation on this site, and he is definitly not in the audio clone business. I personally look at Cowanrg's case as a true DIY effort. He made a handful of cases and then changed directions and sold them for a loss.

Cowanrg, BTW you made awesome cases with a great deal of personal passion and effort. Very very nice work indeed.

-David

cowanrg said:

haha, that guy is me.

i just got the cases powdercoated and will have them done this week. unfortunately, they wont have pass labs guts, they will be class-D. thats probably worse than that DIYZone is doing... haha.

i didnt hear anyone criticizing me for doing what i did, everyone seemed pretty impressed. MANY MANY MANY people emailed me to buy copies of the cases though. i made 5 initially, but ended up only using 2 of them. i never planned to make them for profit and i sold them for what i paid (maybe less). they are VERY pricey to make. it IS difficult to manufacture that case, trust me. its very pricey. if you do it right of course. it looks like they cut some corners. theirs look a bit cheap.

What kind of class D?

Joined 2000
Paid Member
see that there is a positive review of the Usher amp in

You're kidding, right? That's looks exactly like a Threshold. What's the innards look like?

Dr Joe D' Apolitto designs stuff for Usher. I take it Nelson doesn't.

Uh, boy. :xeye:

That digital processor looks interesting, but now I don't know...

This is from the Usher page below

Attachments

• r-1-5-amplifier.jpg
    r-1-5-amplifier.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 801
This is clear that Pass Labs is being ripped off by this kind of people, and this is just a pain for us DIYers , becaus this won't help Nelson to share schematic as widely as he'd like ...just because you don't know if people have "industrial" ideas...

anyway Nelson is concerned here , but I don't think that it's only due to his natural sharing attitude, as they copied the whole case, and not only the functionnal schematic...then I am convinced that they'd have copied it anyway (schematic alvalaible on the web or not...) just as Rolex are copied...For the fame and the look...but not because it's easy or made easy...
I just hope Nelson won't be disgusted to share his work with us
Vince

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.