• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Would you run these at say 1200vdc?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Generally main "oilers" /motor start caps are run at higher voltages than their ratings.

Anyone have a particular experience with these jobbies?

Attachments

• 750vdc.jpg
    750vdc.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 375
Simon says no. Steven says let's blow **** up! Well not really he said...That would be an exciting experiment!

So it's a no. If there is any chance of stuff blowing up...I'm not even going to consider it. From the looks of it..and the fact that it can handle 80A max I thought the manufacturer was just covering itself by being very conservative.

Last edited:
We're talking about the DC property of a 80 Ampere qualified motor run cap, you'll probably want to use as the first cap in a 100mA PS. Have a look for the ripple current with PSUD.
As I see it the limit is on the power, not on the DC voltage. See what happens slowly bringing up the voltage while monitoring current and temperature rise. If the insulation breaks down would a 200mA slow blow fuse insure your transformer? OK, 1.200 volt X 0,2 ampere = 240VA there's your excitement. Where's George?

Blast shield is in order and some distance . Since it is Italy country of make is it filled with olive oil ? 1200 volt should cook it rather well . Not an indoor experiment. Not approved DIY event and the secretary disavows all know of your action HAPPY HUNTING.

And I have a 10,000 volt power supply. The issue is that when you charge it up the energy stored is 1/2x C x V**2 or at 1,000 volts 1/2 * .0001 * 1000 * 1000 or 50J. So it will charge nicely until there is a failure in the insulation then the 50J will discharge into a very small area. That will heat the oil past the flash point and the can will not be able to contain the energy so you should get a nice explosion.

I would expect the capacitor to be tested at 900 volts for a few seconds, but long term using a capacitor at slightly less than rated voltage is a better idea.

Of course if you do build a supply using them, be sure to play the 1812 Overture as your first test.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello Bas,
Motor start capacitor cannot be used because they are not made for '' continious '' mode.
Once i did use a surplus film cap which didnt have clear specs. I thought it was 400 V dc later i discovered that it was just 250 volts dc after i did create a short circuit after a year of functioning making a copper trace on the circuit board evaporate and the electrolytic caps heavenly imploded. Did ask the manufacturer about the voltage rating giving them the dimensions.
Of course with 1200 volts the available energy will be BIGGER.
There is a surplus store in the Netherlands that has some 15mf 1400V dc caps. With such a high voltage you dont needs loads of mf.
Greetings, Eduard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.