Would this work - Karlson + slot-loaded port

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DARK SIDE - - that's it baby! - LoL - U could build stock K15 for starters - have removable access plate section on bottom for add-on slot port section w.o cosmetic worries if don't results like when main port is blocked.

once it reverts back to K15 then you can add a slotted waveguide HF tube :^) - tube's dispersion and vertical window probably match
k's pattern better than most horns.

added coupler height might help - need to get some good data adding
8" then 16" caps to a 23 degree tilt coupler observing Z and effects with bulk fixed.

imo - Karlson can be pretty darn good - or go funky - or worse ultra sucky -

fwiw could "stand" 604 in K15 although a cheap higher Q Beta15CX might be made to play nearly as well (well...) with some tweaking to reduce peaking around LF as K's increase effective driver Q.

Karlson are coupled-cavity enclosures - but what kind relative to later descriptions of BP4/6A and 6B?

Karlson introduce a type of reverb - probably dependent upon aperture flare, initial gap width/area, driver distances from wings and reflector cant in upper half of enclosure vs cavity's changing volume.

right now I've got 18" in a K-coupler 21.25" wide by 32" tall by 16" deep - has a very slow flare rate for 1st half of expansion. - if I spread the gap from nominal 5/8" to ~1" - theres probably less than 6 sq.in. area change in that portion but tonally things will drastically change giving more apparent midrange and highs (and somewhat less bass) - plus there may be more apparent depth to the image.

imho K15 built with 1/2" gap sound different than say one built with 5/16" gap

the front shelf in K15 partially nulls a 250hz dip seen in steady state testing, probably forms a very short waveguide, deflects some wavelengths and forms a continuous boundary for vent and rear lowpass shelf..

with steady state testing they show acoustic peak @3rd input Z peak ~160Hz for k15 size (taller if analogous to BP might flatten the passband-?) and ~210 or so for K12 size, then go into a 1st dip.

Karlson if done right/matched/balanced favorably are very kicky/dynamic and would take one over many folded horn.

I think Karlson can reduce modulation distortion and have seen some evidence in two tone testing.

coaxial or quasi coaxial (x15) were "the" original intent by Karlson - nothing on top. mid-HF stuff on top will change direct ot indirect ratios at some point (which might be more likable to some folks)

their pattern(s) require wide angle horns on top to match (like "Smith") - also theres a large vertical spacing if horn is placed on top - a slotted waveguide on top will have larger vertical window than most horns. something like a 511 or big radial will work.

for bass-midbass applications, Karlson-type probabaly could shine in small club situations

to further complicate matters - those I know who do the most Karlson "research" (real engineers) do not publish nor discuss their methods/formula - but when 4 sets of tapers are tested for each coupler one can guess there;s some empirical work involved.

btw- got k-horn, edgarhorn100/Monolith, UCS1, FH1,Sentry IV and some Punisher size bins so not complete stranger to horns plus have direct radiators

horns aren't sacred nor removed from potential doom either :^)
gimme a straight midbass

one more thing - adding wings to vented Karlson of course drops Z-minimum point - vent position probably matters to a a degree for LF and to a degree for tonality.

I think K's add a load but not necessary "gain" above upper bass.

"nobody likes a smartass - that's why they don't send mules to college"

Hi freddi,

I can see youve been doing alot of work on the K's and are still looking for the best configuration..

I'm going to build something like it soon to hear what it can do.

Do you have any off axis measurements of a Karlson speaker?

Have you ever tried different shapes than the exponential contour?

Regards,

Collin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.