Would these drivers make a reasonably good 2 way?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The only complaint I've ever had about Selenium is that in one compression driver, I found the casting of the phase plug to be a bit suspect. I had to take a knife and carve off a little bit of aluminum that had strayed into the path of the openings in the plug. Other than that, I think they are still a good bang for the buck. I own a number of pieces.

No. (not with the pair)
To add something else. First you need a main (fullrange) driver. Second you need a good tweeter. Then you need a good match. Neither of them, per si. First of all compare with this one; Beyma 10LW30N and give some feedback. (are you playing guitar or is it for music/reproduction?, in the first case I don't comment)
Also, take a look to this beauty from Spain (the first is from Brazil): BEYMA 12XA30Nd Coax.
Just to give you (material) to think, on tweeters you have a lot of brand names like the ones you mention, domes, compression/horns, supertweeters like the ones from Fostex, high quality ribbons - some of them on the $300 range, $100, and $50/$30s each. Also you have a lot of bullets (tw) and horns.

Nothing else besides (on) the tweeter you mention, it's huge (at home it will need a room only for it, what would be interesting -- maybe bigger than some full ranges, other bullets or horns) and have a good dispersion. Some acceptance for PA systems. It peaks 5dB at 7K. It's possible to solve that in a proper xover, but don't expect a "by the book" design.

GM

Joined 2003
G said:

Could I make a reasonably good 2 way using these two drivers? Thanks.

I didn't have time earlier to look more closely than brand name, but no, these are completely incompatible since the woofer is beaming like a laser at the super tweeter's 5 kHz minimum XO point. Even if it was compatible, 5 kHz isn't far enough away from our acute hearing BW to ignore the acoustically wide spread between the two on a baffle unless sitting very far away.

Also, this ST has way too narrow a dispersion for home use.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.