Would like to purchase a hi-end cassette deck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for a hi-end cassette deck. Tried to
zeroed in on Onkyo K-505TX, but it seems it
is now obsolete. Any suggestion of cassette deck
in a reasonable price will be highly appreciated.
With a store address (website or physical). I need a
single deck one with high quality output. If it does not
have any fancy features I will be happy. I have many
cassettes which I want to listen in a better way.

Thanks
Roushon

Back in the day when Philips thought they'd discovered the new CD with it, I got a DCC (digital compact cassette) player. Never actually used the DCC function but it was great tape player. It was even smaller than the Onkyo you suggested. Mine was like a thicker and heavier discman - just about portable although you wouldn't dream of going jogging with it.

Suspect you can get these second hand these days and the rapid demise of the technology may mean some will not be have been used all that much and will be as good as new.

Back in the day when Philips thought they'd discovered the new CD with it, I got a DCC (digital compact cassette) player. Never actually used the DCC function but it was great tape player. It was even smaller than the Onkyo you suggested. Mine was like a thicker and heavier discman - just about portable although you wouldn't dream of going jogging with it.

Suspect you can get these second hand these days and the rapid demise of the technology may mean some will not be have been used all that much and will be as good as new.

Thanks. Yes this was in my mind as the medium is
almost dead I can get a good deck in less price.
If any of you have it and would like to sell then kindly
let me know. But getting it from outside India will
make it expensive (shipping) I think, but nevertheless
I can give it a try. I have a panasonic now and playing
but it gives suppressed sound and nowhere close to
hi-end.

Recently I purchased Marantz 5003 cd player, so
got a taste of hi-end sound.

Roushon.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Last edited:
Thanks Mooly and Johnm for your suggestions and for
the site on a formidable list of audiophile cassette deck list.

I thought of playing with the head of the panasonic
deck I have little bit to change the sound but did
not have the courage. Will do it now and see.

The sony deck Mooly suggested is pretty big and although
it is available in India, that is there are dealers who import
it, the price is more than double the original price.

I thought of another way. Can I do the following:

1. Change the head of the Panasonic I have by something
a very high quality playing head. I do not have any idea about their availability for hobbyist and their make etc.
Someone here can help me.

2. Build/purchase a new tape head pre-amp if available. Again here someone can help me with a circuit or
brand name.

Thanks
Roushon

I don't think that there might be great differences ...the media is that ,and the audio cassette has its limits. An 'hi-fi ' top-of-the-line tape head information perfect bit extractor :p can still be found ...the less expensive parts (belts) usually compromise the perfection of a good mechanics . Nowadays ,I find the -already old 10 years tape decks ,almost NOS - double mechanics with autoreverse done in a very cheap way ,sounding fairly good .
Of course no fine azimuth calibration but cheap 'analog' switches and plastic mechanics .

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I don't think changing the head will achieve much tbh, certainly not just for replay purposes. As others have mentioned the problem with s/h is that the mechanics could be shot, not just the rubbers but clutches, back tension bands, reel and drive motors etc

It's possible the tapes you are trying to play have deteriorated too.

Azimuth angle has the most impact

Roushon
Listen to Mooly's comments.

I have tinkered with tape recorders a lot and also worked as a service technichian in the -80's in a Radio & Tv repair shop.

The playback head's azimuth angle has the largest impact on the sound and if your tapes havent been recorded without optimum bias in the first place... they will never sound good ... ever.
And if your casettes are recorded with another tape-deck from the beginning, you can be sure that your Panasonic deck isn't optimally calibrated for those casettes.

Anyway, if your going for another tape deck look for one with "closed loop" or "double capstan". They have better wow & flutter spec's which is something good. Particulary if you will play music with piano in it. A humble casette deck will show it's humble specifications when listening to piano.

And you must adjust the azimuth for your own casettes if you want something better then what you have today. Or buy the Nakamichi Dragon which adjusts it by itself :)

hard to find and repair

Great decks are getting harder by the day to repair. A couple of my most reliable places for work have announced that they cannot find parts for either Nak's and NAD cassette decks. I'm sure that goes for most brands.

Anyway, back to the recommendations: I also suggest the used functioning Tascams and Naks. But I would also suggest NAD 6300's and even a rare JVC 1050 line deck. Both the NAD & JVC are rather well regarded by those who have owned them.

Finally purchased...

Hello to all of you and thanks very much for the valuable
suggestions. I did look for and studied the market in India.
No good luck. So finally imported the Sony TCWE475.
It is brand new and got a cheap rate from Amazon.
But it runs on 120vac 60Hz. I know I have to purchase
an adapter from 230vac to 120vac off the shelf. Many
a times in electronics when I thought something is
obvious and simple it turns out to be on the contrary.
So can I just purchase an adapter from a shop or
there are some issue on this? Or do I need to make it
myself with some custom made transformer in some
proper way with precautions etc.?
I can also open the player and see if it is convertible to
230vac. Some models have a switch from outside
for such conversion but mine one does not.

Thanks and regards..
Roushon.

Last edited:
Sony replied

I did not yet open the player but wrote to Sony. I was told
that the player can be used with 120vac 50Hz. So I just
need a step-down transformer and fuse if the possibility
of converting to 230vac is not there.

Roushon.

Last edited:
Hello Roushon , it's a shame that you can't PLAY with your new tape deck.
Have you considered changing the trasformer ? I guess you'll need some 15-0-15 ,otherwise if Sony had told you that you can use it at your country voltage ,probably ( as I intend) there is already a tap on the primary ,now unused , that you can use for that .
First ,if you have a variac available , you can feed the device (or the transformer alone ,better ...) and check what is the output voltage . Then find an equal transformer ...

Hi Pico, nice to hear from you! I was worried about the
frequency. From 230vac to 120vac stepping down is
easy, but this will not change the frequency to 60Hz. Now
that Sony confirmed me that 50Hz is also OK, I am
in good shape. I will open the player
which is also I am curious to do.

Best regards
Roushon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.