Would a 26-0-26 toroid work for a stereo LM3875 amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Measured 26VAC (why extrapolate "harmonised voltage", "possible local mains variations", etc. when we have a measurement? ... unloaded to boot) will make some 36V rails, unloaded, so in practice they will be slightly lower.

And the second the amp starts pulling current, rail voltage will drop, as much as 20% at full power.

By the way, "transformer regulation" refers to VAC, resistive load; with the fast narrow capacitor charging pulses plus apparition of ripple, which can only go down,never up, the 35V suggested max. voltage barrier gets crossed downwards.

Of course, keep load at nominal 8 ohms, do not even try 6 or lower.

Problem is not chip destruction but avoiding activation of SPIKE protection, which sounds worse than horrible.

Hi,

Of course, keep load at nominal 8 ohms, do not even try 6 or lower.

Problem is not chip destruction but avoiding activation of SPIKE protection, which sounds worse than horrible.

Yes and no, I use this kit with 4 Ohm fullrange driver in BR, and it's works well.
Impedance curve, (notch filter at 1300 hz) :

Attachments

• lm3886_63.jpg
    lm3886_63.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 111
................By the way, "transformer regulation" refers to VAC, resistive load; with the fast narrow capacitor charging pulses plus apparition of ripple, which can only go down,never up, the 35V suggested max. voltage barrier gets crossed downwards.................
Transformer regulation is the amount the output voltage rises as load current is reduced.

A 230:26Vac 100VA 7% regulation transformer will give an output of 26Vac when fed with 230Vac to the primary and a secondary current of 3.846Aac into a 6r76 dummy load.

As the dummy load resistance is increased the secondary voltage increases. Ultimately when the dummy load is infinite, the secondary output voltage is 26*1.07 = 27.82Vac.

Increase the mains voltage by 5% and the output voltage will rise by 5%.
Increase to 253Vac and the maximum output voltage will increase to 30.6Vac

The guidance given earlier still applies
The transformer output is
Mains supply voltage / Rated Primary voltage * rated secondary voltage * transformer regulation.

Last edited:
So..

I powered the amp with the 26v trafo and it worked.. and of course that is always a nice feeling, even when just soldering a "kit"..
Very silent background and smooth overall sound..

I used my iphone as source, old pioneer speakers and youtube playing some random songs..

Phil, what are you using as source with this?

Thanx
JZ
/JZ

ah ok.. Wonder how much the iphones headphone jack is giving.... With my "test" speakers it wont get very loud.. Proberly low sensivity on those old pioneers..

My subjective impression is that it does,nt sound any way near as good as my supersymmetric chipamp.. but for the money still good :)

No pictures yet.. I,ll upload some pictures when the casing is done etc :)

Best regards
JZ

The majority of the data graphs are based on a 35 VDC supply. Double up on the rectifier diodes and depending on transformer quality shouldn't 26-0-26 be close? Granted with limited output below 6 ohms.

Can I use a 19V 100 VA transformer for two channels?
Seems from the graph that it would be okay I guess.
It fits perfect in my case/enclosure.
The only other transformer I have is 24V 650 VA IE transformer and doesn't fit in anything.

100VA will allow good to adequate performance from amplifiers with a total maximum power output of 50W to 100W.

i.e. two channels of 25+25W will work well and two channels of 35+35W will work well.
two channels of 50+50W will work adequately.

There is a further point worth considering.
A 100VA transformer will have a higher regulation.
You MUST check the worst case maximum voltage being fed to your smoothing capacitors and to your amplifiers.
EI generally have a higher regulation than toroids and as a result over-voltage in worst case conditions is a higher risk for EI transformers.

I don't know how to do that.
Should I just use a higher voltage and/or VA rating?
I thought 19 volts would be for 4 ohm too and 30 watts x 2 channel for 8 ohm or 4 ohm.
And the VA max should be about 150 I think, so 100 would be so-so.

But I can find a higher rated transformer.

You need to measure both the AC input voltage (mains voltage) and the output voltage. Then work out the worst case output voltage. I'd assume ±10 % mains variation.

Too much voltage on an electrolytic cap will cause it to explode. You really don't want that. The electrolyte is very corrosive and will wreak havoc on any circuitry nearby if not cleaned up completely. It's a filthy mess.

~Tom

You need to measure both the AC input voltage (mains voltage) and the output voltage. Then work out the worst case output voltage. I'd assume ±10 % mains variation.

Too much voltage on an electrolytic cap will cause it to explode. You really don't want that. The electrolyte is very corrosive and will wreak havoc on any circuitry nearby if not cleaned up completely. It's a filthy mess.

~Tom

How do you know what I want :confused:
It's like you don't know me at all :grumpy:

Also I still don't get it.
You know I'm slowly coming to the conclusion I really shouldn't be building amps.
Especially, considering people that know way way way more than me think it's too complicated for them to do.

It's a 19-0-19 volt toroidal transformer. I figured it would put out 19 VDC.
I don't know how to set it up so I can tests it's limitations :boggled:

"It's a 19-0-19 volt toroidal transformer. I figured it would put out 19 VDC."
this tells me that your electronics knowledge is at a very early stage, i.e. less than a Beginner.

And confirms that you should be doing a lot of safe learning before
"You know I'm slowly coming to the conclusion I really shouldn't be building amps."

I recommend you do this learning in small and safe steps.
Be careful, it's not just the hardware that can get damaged by mistakes.

Try these two sites.

ESP
Decibell Dungeon.

http://sound.westhost.com/projects.htm
http://www.decdun.me.uk/

Last edited:
"It's a 19-0-19 volt toroidal transformer. I figured it would put out 19 VDC."
this tells me that your electronics knowledge is at a very early stage, i.e. less than a Beginner.

And confirms that you should be doing a lot of safe learning before
"You know I'm slowly coming to the conclusion I really shouldn't be building amps."

I recommend you do this learning in small and safe steps.
Be careful, it's not just the hardware that can get damaged by mistakes.

Try these two sites.

ESP
Decibell Dungeon.

ESP Projects Pages - DIY Audio and Electronics
Index page for Decibel Dungeon, a DIY hi-fi site for hi-fi lovers.

Yes, you're right.
I need dual secondaries I think.
I was hoping that maybe this was like 1.5 secondaries or something :rofl:
Maybe dual secondaries but with one ground :rofl:

Okay I will find a proper transformer :rofl:

I actually did build a LM3875 amp before from a Brian GT kit and it sounded very good, I thought.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.