Worried about lead in solder. Again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Considering that lead in tin/lead solder is almost impossible to leach out or effect the environment to badly, we find that PVC has lead as a heat stabiliser. At first I though it was old info, as the almost hysterical way RoHS was introduced I couldn't believe they would have let this past, but... I was wrong, it seems they are hoping to eliminate it from production by 2015.
Its crazy, but believable, pick on lead solder whilst we are all stripping lead containing PVC with out teeth!

It's what politicians (and civil servants, and many managers) do routinely: pick on a relatively unimportant but visible measure so something is seen to be done, while ignoring more important but less visible issues. They know it fools enough of the people enough of the time to get re-elected/promoted. To salve their conscience some of the more 'honest' ones admit to it 20 years later when writing their memoirs.

I first realised this is the way things are done when I worked for the CEGB in London in the 1970/80s. There was a fuss because some nuclear power stations had found cracks in their pipes, so a lot of expensive repairs had to be done. To help pay for this, all departments were told to reduce expenditure. In HQ the supplies/stationery department decided to implement their cut by no longer providing certain 'desirable items'. One such item they chose was 4-hole punches. The snag was that we in IT had a large number of 4-ring binders, as 2-ring binders were no use for large files. We had to have 4-hole punches! (Note for American readers: I realise that at that time all your binders had 3 holes - they did not exist in the UK.) If it weren't for our manager finding a way to get round the system, we would be in the peculiar situation that our software development and testing would be compromised by some junior manager in supplies making a perverse decision on punches based on the costs of repairing welds in nukes!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.