Worlds expensivest highest Efficiency '15 woofer: Goto SG38WN Series up to 110db/W/m

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In fact it's so near - it's over 100% :) 1W of acoustic energy radiated into a sphere of 1M radius will be 108dB* at the "surface" of that sphere. So 110dB at 1W/1m is slightly more than 100% efficiency.

Of course there is a catch. The 108dB figure comes from the energy radiating into full 360º space. AKA 4 Pi space. The woofer isn't going to do that. It will be radiating into less space, so the energy is more concentrated. How much more concentrated depends on a lot of factors. Too many to figure out here.

So Bear, I'm with you there. Color me skeptical, too.

* or 109dB depending on what source you read. I think it may be 108.5dB

The color looks good, its the color of acoustical physics.

Unfortunately what they supplied are "Sorta Spec's", leaving out enough engineering detail to model it and lacking a measurement that shows what it actually does.
For instance, if one is dealing with a woofer, being able to model or have a measurement provided of it's low frequency range is necessary to see how sensitive is it at say between 100 and 40Hz?.

In pro sound, there are subwoofers who's rated sensitivity is taken octaves above it's operating range and others with no spec's so it's not unheard of to play pretend. Here i am not sure if they omitted some things on purpose or not.

For a direct radiator woofer array, the maximum possible efficiency in the real world is around 25%.
Best,
Tom

tinitus... OT, but pure iron is very soft. I think they got chromium and vanadium from the meteors... fwiw, I think the Japanese who do that folded steel sword thing also got the same materials from the same source...

_-_-bear

The Japanese smelted what is called iron sand which already contains traces of titanium, silica, manganese, calcium and vanadium. No need for meteorites to be involved.
Pure iron is extremely rare and the term 'Iron Age' quite misleading as what was produced during that time was actually steel of various qualities.

Sorry for ressurrecting this topic. I am not a DIY either I have knowedge for that but I am interested in horns and lately looking on those GOTO/ALE drivers.

I would like to add, what I found, GOTO work in a way they drivers are rated around 4 octaves but to be used/take in practical consideration the middle two.

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.