World's best midrange Blind Testing - Need your help.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I think this is all showing that the most important part of the spectrum is bass. I bet you could tell the difference below 360hz. I guess mirange really isn't that important nor directivity. Wow imagine how disappointed S.L. the wave guiders and the full Rangers will be. You've taken them all out in one fell swoop! Maybe just test them 360hz and below? :)

Last edited:
I think this is all showing that the most important part of the spectrum is bass. I bet you could tell the difference below 360hz. I guess mirange really isn't that important

Midrange is always related with distortion, cone breakup. Our ears are sensitive in this frequency range, and the nature of cone driver is to produce break-up at around this frequency. (May be big dome like the ATC is the exception).

What kind of differences are you expecting to hear in the midrange frequency??

So here we are: the most CONTRASTY drivers matchup so far.

Voxativ AC-1.6
v.s.
Eminence Kappalite 3010MB

Pro against HiFi
10'' midbass against 8'' fullrange
180$ against 1300$
Really not in comfort zone against perfectly in comfort zone

...also installed in the Cube:
Visaton FR10
Radian 950PB w/Be + short horn

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Midrange is always related with distortion, cone breakup. Our ears are sensitive in this frequency range, and the nature of cone driver is to produce break-up at around this frequency. (May be big dome like the ATC is the exception).

What kind of differences are you expecting to hear in the midrange frequency??

I have not done the testing, so I'm not really surprised I did not hear a difference. :) I'm a little surprised the directivity/power response did not expose some of the drivers, hard to draw much of a conclusion yet. It has inspired me to do some experimentation of my own.

I would say an amplifiers ability for dynamics, which is current related and not measurable with distortion, would have an affect on a drivers signature. Would it be significant for this testing? I can't answer that for single drivers. With a full speaker, yes, it would.

Yes, one variable, the most critical one, from the amp has been removed (trans-conductance/damping). But there are still other variables: distortion, noise floor, linearity.