World record for most powerful amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some people would consider a 68 watt amplifier to be "powerful". Especially when their comparison reference is computer speakers. STK modules can go up to about 150W, but they only sort-of count as an "ic".

It's hard to think of those as "powerful" when the smallest amp in your rack is a GX5, but in the early days I would have.

The ancient transistor vibration rig amplifier at my workplace is a water-cooled 10kW, and runs from 1Hz or thereabouts to 4kHz. The rig is a glorified speaker cone with the chassis bolted to a concrete floor and equipment under test bolted effectively to the 'cone'. I don't know the rating of the newer bigger one we have, but I believe it's higher.

"The Russians built some VERY large megawatt transmitters during the cold war... "

Transmitters are generally rated by their effective radiated power.

I have a 5KW L-band Tacan generator that with a Karlson-aperature antenna has an effective radiated power of about 5MW. Always wanted to see if I could feed in 2.4Ghz and cook the ducks in the antenna-ground pond across the street, but I figured a rear or side lobe would cook me.

I don't know what amplifier is the most powerful, but the most energy efficient one I think I know.
SONY sold a home theatre for some years ago.
They claimed it delivered no less than 1000W or 5X200W to the speaker outlets.
While examining this wonderful system, I looked at the information plate near the powercord inlet to the system, andf I read this: Power: 220V 50Hz, Power consumption: 50W MAX.

Just for the enviroment and the global warming we all should own at least one of theese home theater systems. We would gain no less than 950Watts, just by runnung this system at full power........

Most Powerful IC Amplifier

Which is the most powerful audio amplifier ic in the world? Please give the answer

I have no clue what the "most" powerful IC amplifier is, but this is no slouch at 1KW "for audio/transducer use."

PA03 pdf, PA03 description, PA03 datasheets, PA03 view ::: ALLDATASHEET :::

I'm sure the military has way more powerful actuator driver ICs that run fly-by-wire control surfaces that deliver power in the "audio" range, but I am just guessing.

There are no "powerful" IC amplifiers...

The Russians built some VERY large megawatt transmitters during the cold war... Where is Waveborn when we need him?

But it seems to me that modulators don't count.

Back in the early 1980's I had a hifi amp which used to pick up Radio Moscow world service, that was annoying!

They must have been putting out some amount of power :eek:

The company that provided the sound equipment for the latest Stones concert used six Crown MA3600VZ per rack, which means a potential total of 21,600W/rack depending on how they're configured and what they're driving. Not sure how many amp racks they used.

Those MA10000s are beasts. Not just powerful but somewhere around 120lbs and they take up four rack spaces, if I remember correctly. They're fun to move around... I've seen Crest Audio amps that came close to that output but didn't crack the 10kW barrier. Let's just say I didn't enjoy cleaning out any of those amps out after they came back from touring :bored:

20 yrs ago Crest had an amplifier rated @10kW /1ohm , i believe the 10001 it was called ...

1 rack space 40KW amplifier (480V/3Ph recommended).

PKN 3phase 40kw power amplifier - YouTube

10KW/2Ω x4 or 20KW/4Ω x2

Finally , my amplifier ....:)

Finally , my amplifier ....:)

I'm with you here, I wish these weren't nearly unobtainium in the USA, those PKN amps have some pretty wild features.

Set limiters by telling the amp the wattage of the speaker, then the amplifier can set the limiters itself based on the impedance of the speaker and actual voltage being delivered? Yes, please!

Does anyone know of any amplifiers made on this side of the pond that have some of the advanced features of these PKN units?

The XE10000-U is going to be my workshop PC's wallpaper for some time, I'd imagine. :)

You know, as an afterthought, what we really should ask here is...what's the most powerful amplifier in the world that runs from a standard wall socket power source? The 40k PKN doesn't qualify, as it really needs 3 phase..some 400v IIRC..so I guess the answer is the PKN 10000-U?

Just how many watts can we reasonably expect out of a real world wall socket..without having to have a locomotive engine diesel generator in the back yard for 3 phase 480V power?

:eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.