World cup officiating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I suspect that the best antidote to diving would be to have a sniper at each corner of the stadium, and they shoot anyone that stays down for more than 30 seconds. Or in fact, anyone they think is mucking around. Or gets paid too much
Actually that is why I suggested at work..summary executions. But the guys at work somehouw thought that that would not make for wholesome family entertainment. :cannotbe:

Something Bas said triggered a thought: I think I understand now why Americans just haven't embraced soccer.

Look at baseball or football or basketball. A guy gets whacked, hit hard, knocked down, and the first thing he does is try to pretend he's OK, it didn't hurt. Even if he flops (like a punter, when a rusher gets within a meter of him after the ball has been kicked, or Vlade Divac on any given play), he'll just make a big show of hitting the ground, but won't act like he's hurt.

Now watch a soccer player. When HE flops, he acts like he's in horrible pain, like he's been sorely injured. Like he's Just Not Manly.

The idea of acting like you're injured when you're not is 180 degrees opposite of the American athletic mentality. Here, the social norm calls for the opposite, acting like you're OK even when you're injured. Never show that it hurts.

Soccer. The game for wusses and crybabies.

SY said:
Something Bas said triggered a thought: I think I understand now why Americans just haven't embraced soccer.
That's probably the reason why Australians haven't either. Sure, people have got behind the team for the World Cup, but in the intervening years, no one could care less. The sound of people jumping off the Socceroo bandwagon at the moment is deafening.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
You've got a pretty nice game there called Australian Rules Foiotball which I can easily see catching on in America.

When the ESPN, the cable sports channel first started, they played those games and people, including myself, started getting interested. I really don't know why they stopped carrying the games.

The punter forthe New York Jets, Ben Graham-an excellent punter, by the way-is a former Australian Rules Football player.

If basebal insists on dragging the game out to three and a half hours-it used to be about two hours-I predict that it will be a contest between Lacrosse and Australian Rules Football to become the American spring and summer game. The two have much in common.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I used to play hockey for the school team, and every now and again we'd play against the local girls school. They played much harder and dirtier than we did!

As for lacrosse, that's the game with the long sticks with the V shaped net on the end isn't it? Very much only a female game over here, but then again, so's rounders. ;)

Hi,

Well they have to have ref's from all over the world, and they are all different standards. I think it's more of a day out for the ref's!

But then again football refuses to let technology (video replays) in so how can there be any progress ?

Don't get me going on the sponsors:- you needed to have a certain brand of credit card to buy tickets...fans sitting in the crowd in the pants due to a brand issue...ticket touts selling surplus corporate tickets...

Yes and that Swiss game was the worse game ever :dead: .

Lacrosse is the manliest of games. Here in Canda we don't let the girls play. Too dangerous. It's our national sport or was for a couple hundred years, quite popular. There's now a North American league.

It's the only sport I've participated in that I've ever had sparks coming off my equipment. I was hit from behind so hard that the cage on the front of my helmut skidded along the ground while I watched the asphalt pass by. It's a brutal game.

rfbrw said:

But the looser is football.

Excuse me? :bigeyes:

The only big looser was Zidane for his behavior on the field.

France dominated the attack but could never put the ball in the goal. I will give you that in the second half Italy's attack looked totally shut down to a point where they couldn't have scored even if they had removed all the french players from the field. The french tech decision to remove Thierry and Ribery breaking up the whole team's attack wasn't the most fortunate move.

grataku said:

Excuse me? :bigeyes:

The only big looser was Zidane for his behavior on the field.

France dominated the attack but could never put the ball in the goal. I will give you that in the second half Italy's attack looked totally shut down to a point where they couldn't have scored even if they had removed all the french players from the field. The french tech decision to remove Thierry and Ribery breaking up the whole team's attack wasn't the most fortunate move.

Congratulations Italy.

Italy could take penalties (take note England players).

What is the point of extra time ?

....Two teams play an extra 30mins to see which team is least tired

.....players lying on the ground with cramp, given red cards because they lose concentration / go mad ,etc playing for penalties.

Zidane - headbutt charge thing was like a pro wrestling finishing move ! 'Zidanator'

Anyone know if the 4th official consulted video evidence for the zidane's sending off ?

All through the tournament Italy have had a very negative approach to the game, no better than Greece in 2004. When France went down to 10 men the Italians should have been swarming all over them but they elected to sit back and wait for penalties. This time it paid off.
Still one shouldn't be too surprised. Ferrari are out there with the intention of winning races without actually racing anyone. Best look to the rugby team, Aprilia and Ducati if you want sport.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.