Working on a High Efficiency, 3way, monitor....anyone want to help?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
btw, I have a friend who got hold of a pair of older CerwinVega316

I thought well, yeah, whatever
but I was positively surpriced, actually

my point is, he found that his old receiver didnt stand a chance
it sounded like crap
we then connnected a big and mean solid state power amp
then things started to happen

well, now he has a small crack in one midrange diaphragm
have to be glued

but he got the speakers he longed fore
and now missing the amp power
I have suggested we make it active

ok, so I will put those down then at the top of my 2 way list.

I was also looking at doing a two way of that WHW suggestion that you made early in this thread helmuth.
That one will be to big 140liter. The 8"8lw30 will do good.

To long horn and that diameter is huge. And why would you search for such low cutoff.

Your have to give the requirements of the speaker. Size ,budget for the project, (1,2,3,4way), looks of your perfect speaker. 4 or 8 ohm.

Then its easier to give any advise. Now we only know you want to build a speaker and that it must fit in the case.

i was looking for a low cutoff to make sure I can have alot of options for crossing and to also avoid lobbing if I made a center to match.

however, I was also looking around and thinking that it may not be optimal but if I did one of these:

B&C 15 HPL76W is a 15" lightweight high power woofer - B&C 15HPL76W Speakers - B&C neodymium 15" high power speaker for 2 or 3-way systems. B&C 15HPL76W neodymium high power bass speakers available now.

with the TPL that would be a really nice two way that is quite sensitive and add a midrange later on....far from optimal but rather than having to buy new drivers and start from scratch i could reuse the ones in a better cabinet.

Just like I said in my original post, I would prefer to avoid horns entirely....only ones I have seen that I would consider are the rather small ribbon horns....but with the TPL and NeoPro5i both being 99db sensitive I dont see the point when my family room is so small anyways.

i was looking for a low cutoff to make sure I can have alot of options for crossing and to also avoid lobbing if I made a center to match.

however, I was also looking around and thinking that it may not be optimal but if I did one of these:

B&C 15 HPL76W is a 15" lightweight high power woofer - B&C 15HPL76W Speakers - B&C neodymium 15" high power speaker for 2 or 3-way systems. B&C 15HPL76W neodymium high power bass speakers available now.

with the TPL that would be a really nice two way that is quite sensitive and add a midrange later on....far from optimal but rather than having to buy new drivers and start from scratch i could reuse the ones in a better cabinet.

Just like I said in my original post, I would prefer to avoid horns entirely....only ones I have seen that I would consider are the rather small ribbon horns....but with the TPL and NeoPro5i both being 99db sensitive I dont see the point when my family room is so small anyways.
The 15" bc is really a good choice for sensitivity and subbas.

Combine it with the ribbon you found. Or a horn combination.

RCF nd650 1,4" driver with the rcf horn hf64. XO 800hz
Or a line source B&CB&C SPEAKERS

Fatial pro 1,4" driver and horn even xo 600Hz.

Eminence has nice priced 6" mid drivershttp://www.usspeaker.com/alphalite6a-1.htm, you can use one of these and a high efficient ribbon or dome for top end. Like the beyma cp21 http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma%20CP21F-1.htm

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2012-03-03 om 09.17.43.png
    Schermafbeelding 2012-03-03 om 09.17.43.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 228
  • Schermafbeelding 2012-03-03 om 09.16.32.png
    Schermafbeelding 2012-03-03 om 09.16.32.png
    39.4 KB · Views: 228
  • Schermafbeelding 2012-03-03 om 09.42.40.png
    Schermafbeelding 2012-03-03 om 09.42.40.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
would the b&C with TPL make a good match for a two way?

Depends on directivity in XO frequency it would be nice they have the same polar in xo region for optimal coupling. the woofer does up to 2kHz. Although above 800hz I do not aspect high quality result.

The TPL owners I have seen so far are very happy with the sound of the TPL. It can be crossed second order 1khz that is a good compromise to try 2 way.

Last edited:
Yea compression drivers are really nice and I know that they can sound really good.

Only reason that I was looking at the 15" because the TPL goes down the 1khz and the 15" goes to 2khz....even though it makes more sense to have a 8 or 10 with the TPL for a high sensitive monitor to add to and make it a three way later on....take almost a "modular" approach to it

I was looking at the SEOS the other day too...however, it would not allow me to take that modular approach and constantly work to improve on as much unless I just bought entire new drivers instead of an additional one

Edit:
I have been looking at the SEOS-15 some more I see that it only takes 1" compression drivers. What are the recommended ones to use with is? is the Lambda TDM15 a good match with it.....what would look really nice is to get a white horn and try and finish it with the burnt edges on the box...like the look on guitars....

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.