Wooo! We won the world cup!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Wintermute:

When the American sports cable station, ESPN, first went on the air, they really didn't have a lot of contracts with major league American sports and spent a lot of time broadcasting minor sports, mostly because they didn't have to pay much to carry them.

They carried a lot of Australian Rules Football, since they no doubt could get it cheap. I began to like it myself, though I didn't adopt any team as my favorite. Judging by articles written in various sports magazines, though, others became interested as well, though the articles were all humorous in nature.

In one article, a true story was related where an Australian in America, upon finding out that his American friend was becoming a fan, offered to give him a copy of the rules of Australian football.

"There are rules?" the American gasped.

I do believe Australian football might have gotten a start here, but after only a few years, ESPN began to make contracts with sports of more familiarity to Americans, and Aussie football lost out.

I must admit, though, every now and then when I see nothing of interest on TV, including ESPN, I begin to feel a hankering to see a little Australian football like I did years ago.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.