woofer assested full range design wanted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fair enough - there are some pretty decent woofers in the 6-8" range from SilverFlute (W20R ) , Peerless (SLS 830667) and ScanSpeak (22W) - but with the vagaries of international commerce, local availability and such, assessments of performance / value can get skewed.

Having been quite impressed with a smaller SilverFlute, I'd be inclined to look seriously at those - at $36.80 USD, they're by almost half the least costly of the bunch listed above.

All prices from Madisound.

What qualities of the FF165WK MLTL combo do you feel need improvement? Is it lacking bass or too bright? Insufficient detail?

My first inclination would be to hot rod these a bit, and use them for your FAST. Maybe put them in small aperiodics or mini-TL, and add 12" woofers for your SS amp.

What qualities of the FF165WK MLTL combo do you feel need improvement? Is it lacking bass or too bright? Insufficient detail?

My first inclination would be to hot rod these a bit, and use them for your FAST. Maybe put them in small aperiodics or mini-TL, and add 12" woofers for your SS amp.

Good question. 'Hard to achieve a goal when you haven't defined the target.

The FF165 MLTLs seem a bit harsh sometimes. It depends on the recording. It just might be my 58 yo ears. Plus, I've been seduced by everything written about the Alpair 7s. Maybe subs for the F165s would reduce their work load?

Part of the problem is that I've got a solution looking for a problem.

Thanks, Mack

Mack - unless you're riding them hard and puttin' em up wet, I doubt relieving the bottom end of bass load on the 165WK will improve their mid-range all that much.

How many hours on them? - and if the harshness varies by recording, I'd wager the A7s wouldn't mask such shortcomings. I can certainly notice them when playing poor quality recordings - for example when playing "shared" files downloaded / perhaps converted from MP3s or even just from nasty originals, the differences can be staggering. I was a big fan of CCR back in the day - consumed more than a gram or two of green while chuggling on down that highway, but when recently playing from Chronicle, I couldn't turn it off fast enough.

Yeah, defining the target is key. The Fostex (haven't heard that particular FF) are generally pretty good drivers, if a different flavor than MA. They may not be showing you their best.

I would expect the FF165wk/MLTL to be slightly harsh. The FFs have an somewhat elevated presence region to begin with. This will be exacerbated by the baffle step (caused by the limited width of the enclosure). Are these run wide open? You may want to try an LCR filter to bring down the ~ 800Hz - 8kHz region 3-4 db or so. This will make them a little more forgiving as well.

Freeing them of the lowest bass will help clear up the mids - usually.

FF165s are a couple of years old so have several 100hrs on them. Most listening is done with the 8w/c SET at half throttle - about 70-75db.
I like the fwd voice from some female singers.
Music does sound different these days. How was I so in love with Little Feat? Most of that stuff from back then disappoints now.
My FF165 MLTLs have baffle step correction per the designer, Bob B.

Maybe I should just build something to mount 7Ps in and stop trying to rationalize.

Thanks for the responses as usual.
Mack

Indeed, not all "FR" drivers are cut from the same cloth - even those from the same manufacturer, and much of a fan as I am of the A7, for a more valid comparison to the FF165WK, you might want to consider either of the 10s. I'm currently living with 10Ps as front row of a 5.1 system (A6Ms in rear surround), and quite like them. I could probably live as easily with the metals all round, just haven't got around to that yet.

And Greg is right, if you can count your currently operating builds on both hands, you've not quite earned your stripes yet :D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have no listening experience with the Alp 7P myself, but from what I have read, the Alp 7.3 metal sounds less bright.

It seems that the A7p needs more break-in than most. I just got back the A7p (in an MTM with A12pw -- Chris has been runnig them steady for nigh 3 months now i guess) and the tendency to take you to the edge with anything that is potentially strident has gone away.

dave

Ahem.

Good size for a midrange.
But you're american ! I don't want to fade to politics :rolleyes::p
but
as the great V8 car engines and so on...then years later you'd make wars for petrol. Cruisin'...

First you'd have to define the environment where the speakers will take place, then the ( supposed) listening distance. At home the maximum allowed is 6-7"
for a woofer. I know that a mere mathematical calculation ( through mic relevation ) brings to the fact that to afford the same SPL of a mid-efficiency speaker such a Fostex it takes a 12" because of its Sd for passive X-over.
This may bring also to place the woofer laterally.
Or, why not two woofers? or mids ? What are the effects of these aberrations ? I mean, can you hear aberrations ( not the mic, you !!! ) and for source I mean classic music only, the less processed preferably- which includes mic technique- ?

Oboes are oboes, violins are violins, etc. One oboe is one oboe, one violin...not two.
Oh, my current project is a 2 (3) way with an old elliptical 8 X 6 from a Nordmende console and a coax Zendar 4", all 4 Ω, so nevermind :eek::)

actually pico, although spiritually a child of the universe ;), Cal is 100% Canuckian - which of course doesn't preclude him from collecting and enjoying his big toys - as they are certainly consistent with his own physical stature

he's a big boy, and likes his plentiful assortment of toys the same, is what I'm saying

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.