• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Wood lathe turned rca audio knobs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Someone had mentioned doing a "He hears his masters voice" audio knob.
I have a really good handle on how to properly set up the lathe and the knob for turning. I am using a laser cutter and cutting out veneers, as well as engraving the wood. The first two pictures are an example of two color cutting and etching of veneer on a white piece of wood. The last picture is an rca logo that I have glued into a knob, yet. It has also not been sanded clean. It will be sanded and finished and look glossy. BTW, none of these have been finished.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

They reminded me of Blue Circle amp knobs only the ones you make are nicer. Some music symbols on them would look cool.

Attachments

• BCCSD.jpg
    BCCSD.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 398
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Last edited:
I am working on a few stock designs. I need to make them more efficiently and figure out a price that is fair. I am spending way to much time on prototype stuff, right now.

It seems like custom knobs are inevitable. The idea of turning someones logo into a custom knob sounds really fun to me.

Just a thought,

what about making a transparent marker/hole through the knob at the top so people could back light the marker. (just a thought)

What about a PYE logo..?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=p...FKoc-ou2M:&usg=__89_ObGWS3nPEKm_ek3CZd7ceTjg=

You could cut the logo off set at the top of the knob so it gives a visual position.

What about the Stax label?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s..._68upWGyQIVAZMUCh0mcwyQ#imgrc=cWjV9Ts3x2xZxM:

Regards
M. Gregg

I like this idea. My laser cutter can cut through acrylic. I wonder if a small drill bit and a huge piece of fiber optics could work.

OH. Maybe make the bottom of the knob out of acrylic, let the edge shine. Then see if I cant get the fiber optic to redirect some of the light to the top of the knob.

I like this idea. My laser cutter can cut through acrylic. I wonder if a small drill bit and a huge piece of fiber optics could work.

OH. Maybe make the bottom of the knob out of acrylic, let the edge shine. Then see if I cant get the fiber optic to redirect some of the light to the top of the knob.

Alu tape/other reflective surface on the back of the acrylic, with hole for the LED/other light source to shine into the acrylic. Alu tape/other reflective surface also on the other non visible parts of acrylic, the visible parts should be sanded "matte". This will force the light to be reflected inside the acrylic, and only be let out through the matte finish, making the whole thing seem like it's glowing.

Edit:
Because I prefer things that "glow from within" and indirect light, rather than things that have or provide light.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
A PYE knob would be nice,

With perhaps the PYE logo glowing in deep purple like the on/off switches on the PYE Mozart..
Just an idea to try..

What diameter are you working with?

Perhaps a three knob set with the HMV dog in the middle of the centre one and a music clef in the middle of the two either side with illuminated pointers.

I guess some people might like illuminated badges..for replica kit maybe..

Regards
M. Gregg

Attachments

• PYE.PNG
    PYE.PNG
    283.3 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
Alu tape/other reflective surface on the back of the acrylic, with hole for the LED/other light source to shine into the acrylic. Alu tape/other reflective surface also on the other non visible parts of acrylic, the visible parts should be sanded "matte". This will force the light to be reflected inside the acrylic, and only be let out through the matte finish, making the whole thing seem like it's glowing.

Edit:
Because I prefer things that "glow from within" and indirect light, rather than things that have or provide light.

Good stuff, I will experiment!

A PYE knob would be nice,

With perhaps the PYE logo glowing in deep purple like the on/off switches on the PYE Mozart..
Just an idea to try..

What diameter are you working with?

Perhaps a three knob set with the HMV dog in the middle of the centre one and a music clef in the middle of the two either side with illuminated pointers.

I guess some people might like illuminated badges..for replica kit maybe..

Regards
M. Gregg

I was thinking that multiple knob sets would be cool. I mostly build a few diy amps a year with just a gain knob. It would be cool, however, to make a set.

I have a question about fitment. Could you make one up to plug on to a standard volume control on a preamp? I wouldnt mind a simple extra large one with no engravings, understated but nice. Similar to the ones Blue Cirlce has. Maybe not the same, but along those lines. Out of maple, or something else you might already have on hand. I was thinking something light, maybe even ash or beach. Because the preamp is all black. It will stand out in a good way, I think.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.