Won Horns @ LSAF - help me do something worthy with them

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I went to an audio show years ago and Bruce Edgar was filling a room much larger than what you will likely use with clear, wonderful sound. He had a power meter on the system. He was using less than 1 (ONE) watt. What you listened to with the Pispeakers room would be the same situation I would expect. The drivers you are looking at are all rated at hundreds of watts. Note the Dayton review where 800 watts is getting pumped into them. Yes. They will take 45 watts and be very loud doing it. (that is one of the things high efficiency does. It also means amp noise is very noticeable ;-). )

When you talk enclosure size the Dayton likes a smaller cabinet better because of the Thiele Small Parameters. The Vas parameter is a big factor.

What I would be concerned with is things like which speaker sounds better.
When reading the comments on the PE site there are direct comparisons of Eminence and the Dayton on the Dayton driver review. The comment about the Dayton is they are not as crisp as the Emminence, sort of muddy. Pay attention to the reviews and comments in posts as much as models.

The one other thing I will add is that there is lots of advice but at some point hold your nose, buy what you consider the best drivers for your situation and start building. Expect some bumps in the road. It is one of those we do it for the journey, not just the destination things.

Grant.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.