Wiring up a 240V relay?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
john blackburn said:

A 2 amp fuse will turn the amp on as long as the source isn't playing, but it will blow if the amp has to jump straight into amplifying.

John

I'd recomend a 1 1/2 or 2A SLO BLOW fuse, just because of the surge current. That's what their used for. Not sure if they have the same name in UK.

300VA into very large caps are on the borderline of needing a surge resistors, but they lend themselves well for all power amps, IMO.

Thanks for all the links, but still a little confused.

Looking at Fig 3 on the Sound West site it shows the hot active from the mains (A) connected to the relay. It also has the transformer soft active (presumably the live wire to the transformer primary) connected to the relay.

So if the mains live is connected to the relay then AC flows through it.

If the soft active (SA) is connected to the relay then AC must flow through it.

Therefore the relay must have AC flowing through it, or else how is DC generated to provide the 24V DC current to power the relay?

Well I've read the links, some of them were a bit too basic - I mean I know what a relay does (I'm not that stupid), but what none of them describe is how a DC current is generated without going via the torroid.

So, thanks to Per-Anders soft start board (which I've purchased) I now understand that another rectifier is required, along with resistors to drop the voltage, and that is where the DC is obtained to power the regulators.

Seriously guys, that's all you had to explain, but for some reason you wouldn't despite me asking several times. I don't understand why you wouldn't, especially as those links don't explain clearly where a DC current is obtained for the relays. They just imply that a DC current has been created.

Ian, the board takes it's power from the mains. Just put mains voltage into the connectors marked MAINS IN and hook up the transformer where says MAINS OUT. :idea:

If you are worried about DC into the transformer, this is nothing to worry about really. It only may be an annoying acoustical phenomina. In case you have problems, wait until you have connected the transformer. If you experience problems described here you can take a peak at my solution.

Ian, reading your posts, what exactly are you going to build?

westers151 said:

I now understand that another rectifier is required, along with resistors to drop the voltage, and that is where the DC is obtained to power the regulators.

No it's not required!!! because, You already have DC for the chipamps don't you. That's the whole beauty and the simplicity behind it.
What I was describing is simply adding 3 additional parts with the relay coil going to the big caps that filter the main DC for the chipamp.

westers151 said:

Seriously guys, that's all you had to explain, but for some reason you wouldn't despite me asking several times. I don't understand why you wouldn't, especially as those links don't explain clearly where a DC current is obtained for the relays. They just imply that a DC current has been created.

I knew you had some mental block of sorts. You didn't have the basic technical terms (lingo) for us guys to figure out what you thought you were asking, hence the reading.

PS Somehow I bet you still don't get it (simple approach). We were frustrated more than you,...anyways Good Luck

Per-Anders, it's only a chip amp with a 300VA torroid, but for some reason it blows any remotely close coupled fuses when switched on, (when it really shouldn't) hence the soft start. Also, I understand how to wire yout circuit - my question was started before I found your site, but after looking at your circuit I now understand the wiring.

As for you Infinia - you're an idiot of the highest order. What a smug attitiude you have just because you understand more than I do, yet you knew what I wanted. Why didn't you explain how the DC was generated?

Honestly this place is full of smug idiots with a "superior than thou" attitude to those of us who are trying to learn.

Hi!

Some simpliest Soft-Start.

Regards zeoN_Rider

Attachments

• soft start1.jpg
    soft start1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 81
westers151 said:
Per-Anders, it's only a chip amp with a 300VA torroid, but for some reason it blows any remotely close coupled fuses when switched on, (when it really shouldn't) hence the soft start. Also, I understand how to wire yout circuit - my question was started before I found your site, but after looking at your circuit I now understand the wiring.

As for you Infinia - you're an idiot of the highest order. What a smug attitiude you have just because you understand more than I do, yet you knew what I wanted. Why didn't you explain how the DC was generated?

Honestly this place is full of smug idiots with a "superior than thou" attitude to those of us who are trying to learn.
What value has the fuse you blow? 3.15AT would last for a 300 VA toroid. Can you start the transformer with anything connected with a 3.15AT? You could possibly have connected the secondaries wrong. Please take a photo of this if you can start the transformer without anything connected but not with the secondary windings connected.

When you get things to work properly with my soft start you may choose 2 or 3.15 A fast fuse. The peak current with 100 ohms in series is around 3 A for 10 ms perhaps.

About your comment about Infinia: Ignore him :idea:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.