Wiring question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Absolute polarity can be demonstrated to be audible.

Go up to any electric guitar player and have him demonstrate it for you.

I have jazz recordings that it is quite audible on.

Disclaimers apply:

Your speakers have to have reasonable phase coherence and fidelity.

Your hearing must not be too grossly impaired.

You must not be too brain damaged.

Remember:

All food tastes the same(if you have a zinc deficiency), all women kiss the same(if you're a eunuch), VHS and Beta look the same(to Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder), and all amplifiers sound the same(to the deaf old men at Stereo Review).

WHO?

Tell the deaf/dumb/blind kid to go play pinball.

That opens the can of worms.

We need a switch. We also need to try it on every recording we own, and note the correct polarity on the recording for future playback.

Warning: some recordings have out-of-phase mics. Nothing can be done at that point, you just have to live with it.

"so this is an extract that deliberately misquotes what Belden found. "

No, it's not.

The color of the wire does affect the CMRR.
I can't agree.
You showed that Belden confirmed that the geometric and chemical changes were affecting the wire/insulation parameters, then go on to show that Belden confirmed that these parameter changes affected the measured CMRR.

That is nowhere near what you said "the colour affects the CMRR".

Belden, if you have quoted them correctly, tell us that the parameters of the insulated wire determine the CMRR.
Your claim is incorrect and completely misrepresents Belden's findings.

That opens the can of worms.

Warning: some recordings have out-of-phase mics. Nothing can be done at that point, you just have to live with it.

Here we are at last!!!

That warning note,is dead center.What an out of phase mic can do,for example, to an alto saxophone recording,when mixed to a tenor one,that is recorded in phase?Add in a clarinet to complicated things more.
We have to live with it,yes,but what a mess of a thing.
Speaking of absolute values,bad signal vs good,imagine a test made with this recording as measure.

B.L.

I remember reading the handout. It was from a four hour seminar on ground loops at a CEDIA conference. The information was good, and had me losing faith in electronic balanced inputs. Even with trimming the inputs to 100+ dB CMRR, the system was not quiet enough. A transformer (galvanic isolation) fixed the problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.