• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Wire gauges

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Johnathan,

Where you use the wire determines the kind (stranded or solid)
of wire. DC or AC , I do not claim to be an expert, so someone correct me if i get this wrong. There is something called skin effect,
It is why speaker cable is many stranded as opposed to large solid core . I have a Hi -Fi side and a Lo-Fi side. My Hi-Fi side is all
transistor, but my lo-fi side is mostly tube(guitar amp) so i work with old guitar amps with B+ voltage from 350-600VDC and my hi-fi amps at 35-70VDC. My favorite guitar amp is a Groove Tube Studio PreAmp(has an output section with either 2 6V6 or EL34)
with a bunch of 7025 front end tubes and some solid state for the recording out speaker emulator. so I guess I am as confused as you are. From what I can tell from digging through a bunch of amps is solid conductor wire is used mainly in inductors, Transformers and high amperage busses. If you want to look critically at most amplifiers copper trace on a circuitboard could be considered solid conductor. Lots to think about.

So stop thinking and start building and use different wire in different places and see how it sounds..

Regards, Elwood

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.