WinISD sub help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
See attachment for the results.

what would be ideal for a subwoofer for home music?

Attachments

• Untitle333d.png
    Untitle333d.png
    99.3 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
See attachment for the results.

what would be ideal for a subwoofer for home music?

Hi MastOrMason'

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your proposal. Are you planning to use the Eminence "Beta 10"...as a sub?? If so, this driver isn't suitable for sub use, as it has the specs of a conventional guitar speaker.

(OverviewSpecificationsCustomer Reviews)
- Nominal Basket Diameter: 10" / 254 mm
- Impedance: 8 Ohms
- RMS Power Rating: 200 Watts
- Program Power Handling: 400 Watts
- Frequency Response: 300Hz - 4kHz
- Sensitivity (1W/1m): 99.6dB
- Voice Coil Diameter: 2" / 50.8 mm
- Max. Crossover Frequency: 4kHz
- Overall Diameter: 10.09" / 256.3 mm
- Bolt Circle Diameter: 9.66" / 245.4 mm
- Baffle Cutout Diameter: 9.18" / 233.2 mm
- No. Of Mounting Holes: 8
- Mounting Hole Diameter: 0.25" / 6.35 mm
- Overall Depth: 3.56" / 90.4 mm
- Magnet Weight: 34 oz.
- Net Weight: 7.3 lbs. / 3.31kg.
- Shipping Weight: 8.3 lbs. / 3.76kg.
- Resonant Frequency (fs): 326.4 Hz
- Impedance (Re): 5.68 ohms
- Coil Inductance (Le): 0.48mH
- Electromagnetic Q (Qes): 2.27
- Mechanical Q (Qms): 7.14
- Total Q (Qts): 1.73
- Compliance Equivalent Vol. (Vas): .06-cubic feet
- Voice Coil Overhang (Xmax): 1.5 mm
- BL Factor (BL) 9.5 T-M
- Surface area of Cone (Sd): .03501m2

You would need no less than 12mm X-max (imo) for starters (and that's just for music; no cinema), and a free air resonant frequency (Fs) to be "at the very highest"... 35hz or so to do True sub work. Additionally, the "Beta's" Qts is too low for a "closed box" alignment; would be more suitable for "reflex". Again, Maybe I misread your post (been doing a lot of that lately), so if that's the case... my most sincere apologies!!

rigtec, best regards

Last edited:
Qts too low?? Are you kidding me? that Qts is out of control, literally! It's too HIGH for anything resembling subwoofer duty in cinema or music, let alone it won't be able to move as much as it needs to.

You need 0.30 ≤ Qts ≤ 0.55 if you want to keep your enclosure volume reasonable.

Hi OscarS,

"No debate here". What I was saying was, a Qts below .4 (to me), denotes a driver better suited for a "bass reflex" application, whereas a .5 and up (to about .7), would likely do well in a sealed (I.B.) enclosure; .7 and above to be assigned to "Infinite Baffle" (wall mount) duty. But the "Eminence Beta" doesn't have enough linear X-max to run the numbers posted on the graphs, above the "1 watt" used to generate those simulations; to say nothing of the frequency range (300hz-4khz). Was a bit curious though, as to why the OP chose to use that driver...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi OscarS,

"No debate here". What I was saying was, a Qts below .4 (to me), denotes a driver better suited for a "bass reflex" application, whereas a .5 and up (to about .7), would likely do well in a sealed (I.B.) enclosure; .7 and above to be assigned to "Infinite Baffle" (wall mount) duty. But the "Eminence Beta" doesn't have enough linear X-max to run the numbers posted on the graphs, above the "1 watt" used to generate those simulations; to say nothing of the frequency range (300hz-4khz). Was a bit curious though, as to why the OP chose to use that driver...

Cheers!

There the only ones I got... I got them from my dad as he had them spare at his work so he gave them to me to mess around with. If the case is that it's unsuitable for subwoofer use, what about midrange? Could I build an enclosure and stick them in a car maybe?:3 And what program would be good to find out the results of a midrange ? & winISD already had the driver details in the program too, pre 1998 they were called ME10-1008. I got the pre 1998 ones.

There the only ones I got... I got them from my dad as he had them spare at his work so he gave them to me to mess around with. If the case is that it's unsuitable for subwoofer use, what about midrange? Could I build an enclosure and stick them in a car maybe?:3 And what program would be good to find out the results of a midrange ? & winISD already had the driver details in the program too, pre 1998 they were called ME10-1008. I got the pre 1998 ones.

You can use the Eminence Beta 10 for bass however, they won't be able to handle a lot of power. I would give them no more than 200 watts each. If you want to use them as midrange, you can use the Beta 10 for that as well.

Parameters for the Eminence Beta 10

Resonant Frequency (fs) 53 Hz
Impedance (Re) 5.75 ohms
Coil Inductance (Le) 0.67mH
Electromagnetic Q (Qes) 0.52
Mechanical Q (Qms) 8.14
Total Q (Qts) 0.49
Compliance Equivalent Vol. (Vas) 60.1 Liters/2.12cu. ft.
Voice Coil Overhang (Xmax) 3.0mm
Maximum Mechanical Limit (Xmech) 17.27 mm
BL Factor (BL) 9.6 T-M
Surface area of Cone (Sd) .03449m2

My 10 year old Eminence Catalogue recomends a 1.9 to 3.15 cubic foot vented box for the Eminence Beta 10.

Do yourself a favour and confirm with Eminence if Beta 10 is indeed the ME10-1008. If it is not, Eminence will give you the proper TS Parameters for the ME 10-1008. Don't use the Parameters in WinISD. Always get the TS Parameters from the manfacture.

Last edited:
There the only ones I got... I got them from my dad as he had them spare at his work so he gave them to me to mess around with.

Hi MastOrMason,

Nothing wrong with that! I use to do that as a kid in wood shop. Being a bass player, I was always experimenting with some "leftover" speakers I had from an older bass amp speaker cabinet. There were no t/s parameters back then, so you would just make a large box (for a 15 inch speaker), stuff it w/ fiberglass, seal it up and, "voila"... better bass in my room! :D

Like OMNIFEX said, that speaker would likely do just fine as a bass or mid-bass driver, but sub-bass is a whole different game. Enjoy the build and have fun!

rigtec, cheers

You could try to use them for midrange I suppose. You can't predict/model/simulate the "midrange" response of such a speaker. Thiele/Small parameters are only for the low-corner predictions. You can calculate the EBP frequency from: Fs/Qes. Using the units of those two particular parameters, you end up with a number in units of Hz. Double that number (one octave higher), and you have what's called the "midband". Below this midband, the response sensitivity is dictated by the enclosure, within this midband the sensitivity is dictated by the Eta-zero reference sensitivity, but beyond this (the midband, that is), has to be measured and cannot be predicted unless you have the worlds most advanced/sophisticated FEA modeling software.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.