Windows XP SP2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
fdegrove said:
Hi,

LOL...
Sure, but that's not what I had in mind.
I can un/de-install IE 6.0 as well without a single trace left from any Winbox running it but I don't think it's IE that's the problem here.

Anyone else running XP?

Cheers,;)

No I don't think so. remember I can access 'the world' EXCEPT my email server (it is accessed but kicked out in 20 secs) and my isp home page. It MUST be something to do with a leftover security setting. I disabled the XP firewall yesterday evening, no difference.
I went through a full re-install once before, it is NO FUN. Takes a week of spare time. Install XP original relaese. That one doesn't support my wireless USB stub or my wireless USR modem/router. Download updates through the phone line (yawn). After the wireless works, download and install other stuff. Re-install all my apps. Re-create my accounts. Man, I hate this!

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Netlist said:
Jan,
You could try installing Netscape, it has a build in email client.
Don't know about Firefox though.

/Hugo :)

Maybe, but isn't that ridicoulous?? I mean MS sells me XP, gives me XP SP2, sells me Office with Outlook and it doesn't work, and they have vague unhelpfull stories on their support site and in fact suggesting I join a newsgroup.
Well, I looked into that, some of those guys know MUCH less about PC's and software than I do. I mean, for Pete's sake, I used to write DEVICE DRIVERS (ok for DOS, but nevertheless) and here I am stuck by some stupid thing. Blahh.

Jan Didden

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Petter said:

I have tried all of those and don't like them.
Any other alternative?
janneman said:

Maybe, but isn't that ridicoulous??
Sure it is, but unless you do the more radical things, it's probably a quick workaround.
Or you could wait untill someone comes up with a registry hack...
For the moment I don't know any, SP2 is simply too young.

/Hugo

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

That you can contact your ISP now.

My thoughts exactly...

This is what I suspected all along: the ISP side is using NAT and the post SP2 registry is set in such a way that you now experience a timeout using the DSL adapter.

Hopefully the ISP has a solution handy for this, a simple .reg file to import into the registry database should restore settings back to the way they were.

It's still a guess, so I could be way off but it makes sense to me.

Cheers,;)

I think it tells you Frank was probably right, your provider is using NAT, and that's breaking your connection. Don't know why, because properly implemented it should work, but something in SP2 is breaking it.

I am behind a Nat-ed connection with SP2 myself, but i did the Nat-setup myself on a linuxbox, so i can forward specific ports if i want to. I'm sorry i can't help you, but i can't figure out why SP2 without a firewall is breaking the connection. It shouldn't interfere when the firewall is off...

edit: I better start typing faster, Frank beat me to it...
/Andreas

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Talked to my ISP helpdesk, explained the new situation.
Lots of murmurs on the background.
Then:

They: what's your DSL modem?
Me: USR19something.
They: Aha, you need to go back to where you bought it and..
Me: Nice try, but no.

So, their technical guy will call me tomorrow. Sigh. But at least I can read my email.
I need to mention NAT to him, to show him he can't bullmanure me. May work.

On the other hand, after 5 email-less days, I really didn't miss THAT much. Hmmm. Maybe I should leave it as is..? No!

Hey guys, thanks for all the help. I'll get there, eventually.

Edit: Could I not manually do a regedit and restore the pre-SP2 setting, or is that only for the real smart and courageous?
Where should I look for?

Jan Didden

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I need to mention NAT to him, to show him he can't bullmanure me. May work.

May work IF indeed there is a NAT device involved....

Edit: Could I not manually do a regedit and restore the pre-SP2 setting, or is that only for the real smart and courageous?

I wouldn't advise anyone to even LOOK at it, let alone TOUCH it.
Seriously, that's pro territory....
If I'd knew EXACTLY what was causing trouble and I'd have the machine in front of me then...maybe, just maybe.

Let's wait and see what the techie will dig up first, shall we?

Cheers,;)

If my ISP used NAT, i'd be seriously worried.

As for your DSL modem, is it hooked up via USB ? I've seen an awful lot of USB modem devices that really are just a load of toss and don't present themselves properly. The correct way to do it is to make your device appear as a Network card, but not all do.

If your DSL modem has the possibility to connect up via Ethernet, do it. USB is hopeless for this sort of thing, reliably anyway.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
After talking to my ISP (see above), a tech type called me. I explained it again, gave him a hard time that it was clearly not my problem. I was in the car, so we set a date 2 days hence he would call me back. Never called back, but it now all of a sudden works!
In fact, that is the 2nd time with pt.lu that I had a problem, they say they get back to me, and all of a sudden it worked again.
Magic?

Thanks for all the support guys, appreciate it!

Jan Didden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.