Windows 10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Windows 10 is fine, if you allow it the proper burn-in time. A fresh install is going to be a bit rough. :)

Since Windows 10 came out I have had to repair or reinstall it 5 times.

Had some seriously strange problem with it that has finally gone since installing the anniversary edition.
It would power up with audio on full blast. It wouldn't update itself and got stuck. It would take 5 minutes to power down.
When opening files it would just put up a message "Working on it" and never display files in the directories.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Windows 10 is fine, if you allow it the proper burn-in time. A fresh install is going to be a bit rough. :)

So a bit like an opamp then ;) (or is it a speaker, I forget... :p)

Seriously though, you can't beat a clean install imo. Maybe I've been lucky but Ten has been the most stable and most 'sorted' OS of any so far in my experience. It was a dream to install on a modern-ish Dell laptop, somewhat less so on a 10yr old Acer due to a buggy driver that Ten insists on installing. Once that's fixed its all good though.

Hmmm -

Can't reproduce your crash - Win 10, Build 14905, 64-bit, latest Edge version - tried with and without login - no difference.

There's a fair number of configurable settings for Edge - you might see what effect some of them have.

I think you said that the bug shows when you're logged in as yourself, but not when just browsing or as a different user. Maybe there's an interaction between your moderator's rights & permissions and a normal user?

Just tried the site with popups <ENABLED> in Edge & it pretty much turned to poo - there might be a java or php issue with how the ads present in frames.

Cheers
Jim

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thanks Jim. Interesting thought you have on the user rights and permissions because kevinkr has also reported seeing similar crashes:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/277707-windows-10-a.html#post4807153

As for settings... well pretty much default apart from a dark theme and also having Edge delete all temp files each time it is closed.

I've a couple of things I want to try out but that will have to wait until tomorrow now.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
let us know what you find, Mooly.

I don't hate 10, sure thought I would. Resisted upgrading my work laptop (Lenovo) forever. But I had 6 laptops for shows, and now two at home all with 10 - and it's been great. One brief crash on this laptop is all. FWIW, all 8 laptops I've run with W10 are Dell. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
In my case the upgrade to Win10 Pro came as part of the purchase of a rather expensive laptop and the fact that some hardware features were not supported in the downgrade to Win 7 Pro.

It's just sufficiently different from windows 7 in every way that counts as to be a bit confusing at times. Add the fact that my new laptop also has a touch screen.. lol

I have experienced some freezes in FF as well, but not that I can recollect here.

Windows 10 starts much quicker or is the 3GHz i7 and NVM SSD drive.. LOL Who knows, but it certainly is not horrible and I may even sort of like it already. It's the end of linux, likely XP and eventually Win7 here as well as I am consolidating ultimately to a single powerful desktop to run my gear and a docking station in the home office with multiple monitors, etc.

It can be a bit scary moving on to a new OS.
I got Windows 10 as soon as it came out so I have had loads of time to get to know it.
Microsoft seem to have a habit of changing things just for the sake of it.
I had terrible trouble finding things in W10 to start with that I knew well in W7.

I bought a USB mixer and the mixer manual said it should just work with W10.
Well it didn't. I eventually found out I had to make the USB mixer the default sound device. That of course was buried in the system and took some finding.

No call back from tier 2 assistance

Never mind was going to be a waste of time

Now trying to download IE 11 for windows 10 another waste of time going in circles on the Microsoft web site

I am going to shop around for an alternative OS and keep it just for browsing and Emails

Old Puter whit XP has all the programs I need

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
let us know what you find, Mooly.

Well this post of yours is a problem one :D I can't highlight or copy any text from it.

I can confirm that the problem is present for standard user accounts but it seems less frequent. However its still easy to find problem posts.

Post 6518
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/119854-hornresp.html#post4802689

Post38:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/230692-time-view-distortion-residual.html#post3395185

Post 8:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...timate-nos-dac-using-tda1541a.html#post914551

Attachments

• Edge 5.JPG
    Edge 5.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 144
  • Edge 6.JPG
    Edge 6.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 120
  • Edge 7.JPG
    Edge 7.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 117
Windows 10 includes IE11 as standard. Just begin typing Internet Explorer into Cortana and it will appear.
Currently it does, but what after the next W10 "upgrade"??

One of the major problems with W10 is the possibility MS has created itself to prevent installation of "unwanted" software and the functionality to uninstall it remote... What if someone at MS decides LTspice (or other software you use) is no longer acceptable?
With W10 MS gradually takes over complete administration and control over your PC and the data on it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.