Will this Crossover work?

Is farmerjack a loonie?

• No, but he is dangerous with a soldering iron.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Whilst I agree this is not the ideal driver for the application its what he has. If I have understood what you consider to be the problem correctly, I don't think it makes the driver unusable.

The power limitation is not that bad with a 250W amplifer (the max the sub is specified for) you have 104dB available down to about 20 Hz and in the important 50 to 100Hz region where most of the energy is you have 110dB that is sufficient for most rooms.

See attached sim, which show the SPL excursion limited at 12mm for the driver. The driver will probably have a much higher excursion than this with distortion so it is unlikley that this is the real SPL limit.

Regards,
Andrew

Attachments

• Venom max SPL 250W.JPG
    Venom max SPL 250W.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 43
Hello Allan and Arty. You are probably right. (these speakers seem to be pretty average), I didn't really do any homework for this project. The subs are pretty inefficient according to all sources. This is the first Jaycar speaker that I have purchased that has not exceeded expectations, in fact I still haven't given it a chance!

I plan to make a couple of powered subs from these speakers. I will use them in my system and I am sure I can manage to blend them into the mix with at least a little improvement to the overall sound.

I have never regarded the venom speaker as a work of art - although they do have a durable construction if you look at it from a 'mechanical' point of view.

This is now just a project to help me expand my understanding of this topic & hope the result is not quite as bad as the (growing!) opinion would suggest. I must declare that I believe in miracles - so anything could happen!.

At the moment, if I were just about to do it all again I might get a paper cone 12" from Alltronics which has a lot better parameters to work with. It would cost about $80, have a SPL of 90 or thereabouts and f0 of 25Hz. It's mechanical 'action' would be firm but not stiff as the venom. These are just a few of the things I have discovered over the past few weeks. So this 'car subbie' has already paid for itself - with the knowledge it has given me, who knows where this road may lead.

Once again, it is good to say hello and I hope to hear from you all in the near future.

Cheers.

I just looked at Andy's plots, I didn't fully understand them, but the sealed boxes seem to be more predictable and less changable or they have a more linear response between 0 and 50Hz.

If I simply choose the sealed 140 litre design, jam a sock into the vent, and crank the main speakers back by 6db then I should have a real cracker! No?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
My comments about boot loading and inefficiency have nothing to do with sound quality. These things are a design choice...just one of the many standard compromises. What they mean for the average home hifi enthusiast are two things. A large box, and a high power requirement.

Hi Allen, I really cracked up when I saw the link you posted, it mentioned the Magna and the Venom in one line.........hmmm I drive a magna. I think the planets have aligned! and soon I'll be on the mother-ship. Time for a beer. Talk soon. Thick scull but some stuff is slowly getting through! Cheers and salutations from Tassie.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.