Widerange Mid/Tweet suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
jnb said:
FE108ESigma.... Would it be better for me than a 166 or 127 which many speak of?

That would be a good choice, Certainly better than FE166. Better than stock FE127 by a fair amount. Modding the FE127 significantly closes the gap. FE108 still has the edge in the mids but is a bit softer on the top. I have a set of 108s i've been tweaking with the intention of using as an extended mid in an OB.

dave

Depends what you mean by 'live levels.' If you happen to be a fan of Motorhead, then you'll be needing a couple of Altec VOTTs with DSL TOPs for the sub-bass. For the rest... should do OK. It's never going to deafening levels; it's a small cone with very limited excursion, but with support in the LF, then it should go to respectable levels.

Backtracking a bit, the JXR6 definitely has a better HF than the JX92, very electrostatic in nature. And no metal characteristic that I've heard (I run both). But it is unsuitable for OB and needs a sealed box. In a 2L enclosure, it will operate down to 100Hz or so, but the output rolls off slowly below 200Hz. Good power handling and you can double them up, at a cost.

Given MJK's latest article, the Fostex or JX92 might be better for OB use. (GM has recommended crossing over around 220Hz for the 92.)

jnb said:
I'm looking for a single driver of some sort to handle around 400Hz and up. If dynamic, then I would want to use it as a dipole though other types may be appealing. I'd like to avoid something that has a 'shouting' characteristic if possible, unless there is a known fix for it.

I would be crossing over actively to 15s.

If you are going active why not use a high pass for the 400Hz+ driver?

If you do that then it opens up a lot of possibilities for different drivers and eq. response tailoring. In particular (because you have spec.ed and open baffle), I'd suggest the BG Neo 8 PDR - 2 per loudspeaker wired in series. In a large enough baffle you might not even need any eq. compensation, instead listening 45 degrees off of the driver's axis. (..again though, it would need to be a large baffle in order to have any substantial output near 400 Hz at 45 degrees off-axis.)

There are of course other fullrange driver potentials as well..

At a lower efficiency there is the newer titanium tangband driver (which I'd select over any of the Jordan drivers for this application).

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-848

Measurements here:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/smalltest/

jnb said:
I would be crossing over actively to 15s.

inrank said:
Omnes Audio L8 :)

el`Ol said:
The Ciare HX132 is popular for fullrange plus woofer concepts in Germany, kind of a Visaton B200 with less beaming.

there are a number of 6-8" wide range drivers that you can consider.

in addition to the options mentioned above spectrumaudio also has the Supravox 165 and 215, Ciare 201, Visaton BG20 and B200, etc..but one idea I'd like to propose is the Hawthorne OB15 Silver Iris COAX. Although this is really a 2 way (in the vein of the Tnnoys or the Ciare NDCX15-2) it's dispersion is supposed to be better than the 6-8" fullranges mentioned above.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.