Wicked deal for BOSE 901

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hearing problems

If you attend concerts regularly and you still think Bose speakers sound good, you should probably have your hearing checked. Ever wonder why Bose doesn't publish frequency response curves? I'll tell you why, because the results would be terrible. They have bad FR, high distortion levels, poor dynamics, lousy sub/sat integration, and if you ask any acoustic engineer (who doesn't work for Bose) reflected sound is something to be avoided if at all possible in a playback environment.

Re: Hearing problems

brsanko said:
If you attend concerts regularly and you still think Bose speakers sound good, you should probably have your hearing checked. Ever wonder why Bose doesn't publish frequency response curves? I'll tell you why, because the results would be terrible. They have bad FR, high distortion levels, poor dynamics, lousy sub/sat integration, and if you ask any acoustic engineer (who doesn't work for Bose) reflected sound is something to be avoided if at all possible in a playback environment.

Some would disagree about an absolute lack of reflection. In fact, a group of Open Baffle users and I eventually convinced many to try a tweeter on the rear of their speakers. This "mod" would eventually be tested and approved by Siegfred Linkwitz.

It was found that the tweeter, while subtle, did all sorts for bringing that one slight knob adjustment to the Orions. The 901s themselves, were the first, at least, commercial attempt at harnessing the science of reflectivity to the home.

Wow. Just read this thread, from start to finish. Very inspiring! I love it!!

I have to admit, though, I suddenly became a bit confused at one point while reading, until I soon realized that years had gone by, LOL! I kept reading, obviously. And it's a good thing too. It's been an unusually rough and long weekend. But, this thread just made it all worthwhile. :)

I certainly wouldn't have posted to this thread if it hadn't been brought back up once again recently, for the sake of keeping an old thread just that. But since I found it and mysteriously continued to read through it for no reason before I was far enough to become aware of its actual significance, I couldn't resist leaving a little remark of my own.

I can recall coming across the Bose(o) username countless times in more recent threads than this, with at least a raised eyebrow. :scratch:

..It all makes sense now. :nod:

I wanted to bring this one up because different application really need different design considerations. A few Bose models are quite good if you listen to them from a different room.

Netlist said:
Twenty five years ago or so I was walking past a pub in town with a couple of friends.
Nice and bright jazz music came out of the overcrowded pub and we held still for a moment to see which band was playing. Damn it sounded good, real live music.
So we entered the pub and were immediately disappointed there was no band but only four Bose901’s series 1 in each corner. We were all too certain it was actually a band playing.
I happened to own 901’s long ago and wouldn’t buy them anymore for home listening but they are mighty for the concept they were used in that small tavern. I’ll never forget that experience.

/Hugo :)

brsanko said:
which is the exact oposite of what the Bose speakers are trying to do.

Again, I absolutely and positively disagree.

"In a room, therefore, anything that is heard of the tweeter, is heard via reflections off walls and objects. Like many audiophiles, I considered that problematic, especially since the commercial box speakers that used such rear tweeters, and that I had listened to at the time, only sounded more fizzy." -[1]

The rear speaker is only heard after reflecting off of room boundaries and furniture. Then Mr.Linkwitz goes on to say that he's heard rear mounted designs that sounded more "fizzy"-but continues to say, "Yet, when I listen to ORION with added rear tweeters, calling it ORION+, I can only say that I have never heard sound reproduced as realistically in its dimensions of space, frequency and time. " [1]

As I stated previously (in my deleted post), others will disagree with having an absolute lack of reflection. Some will disagree with having 'controlled' reflections while it seems most will always disagree on having reflections for the sake of reflections. If you want to be technical about everything, the only place where reflections won't exist at any amount will be where sound can not be reproduced as a wave in a medium. So, I guess what you might be saying is that space is an ideal room.

[1] Siegfred Linkwitz, www.linkwitzlab.com

Say What?

OK, like many before me, I was half way through before realizing this has gone on for like 5 years. But...... I still want to throw my two cents in about 901"s

To the "na-sayers." Have you ever listened to four 901's in a decent size room of a decent sized home? I have 4, powered with two Harmon Kardon Citation 16A's. (Bridged of course.) I honestly have never heard better. Maybe it's a combinaiton of two great amps and the perfect room. I don't know.

What I do know is this. You can flame anybody or any Bose product you want on here, You can throw all the specs you want around. The bottom line for any true audiophile IS YOUR EARS. Listen to the music man, and get off the name. Some of you flamers are very very educated, but sound like jr. high boys discussing sex. Good lord, actually experience it once before you become and expert.

Since this thread is about 901's, that is the only speaker I'm referring to here. I do not have, nor will I ever have those little cubes with the Bose name on them in my house;

As for the 901's, I'm saying in my experience, they are perfect; I have always loved the sound. I've owned JBL-166's, Yamaha NS1000's, Polk, Infinity etc. In my house, with my amps and my ears....BOSE WINs, Period

As for the "high" cost? Have you ever heard of Ebay? I purchased both pairs of my current 901's on Ebay and have under $900 total for all 4.

Anyhow, please know what you are talking about. This is about 901's, nothing else.

(Although, I do have a pair of 201's, a pair of 301"s a center speaker I built and a Velodyne SPL sub that makes for one kick a** HT system.)

BTW, 30 years is a long time for a piece of **** speaker to be around. Hmmmmm... maybe they just aren't so bad. (political statement edited by mod)

:cop:

jtfoto,

While we appreciate your enthusiasm, I would ask that you go back and read the rules of this forum.

1. Do not attempt to circumvent the language censor. I do not like having to manually edit your post. We do not allow swearing here.
2. Do not include anything political in your posts.

Other than that only thing you are doing wrong is suggesting that the other members, whose collective knowledge would more than fill a book, are having difficulty in conveying their feelings and concerns about a product that no doubt they have listened to and criticized only after that. Perhaps it's time to take a deep breath.

Welcome to the forums. ;)

The sound of 901s is unique no doubt. They are involving speakers, no doubt. I still enjoy listening to 901s and will do so for years to come, but my interest is building speakers and listening to them of course.

I've really only lost interest in diyAudio.com because I know enough to know that it isn't how much you know-it is what you like or, what you've experienced that is the bottom line (Confusing sentence anyone?). So the typical post "What drivers should I get?" the response will bend toward "It depends on what YOU...." or, "What crossover point/layout/parts should I get?" will share a similar response.

I believe that there are lessons to be learned from Bose products and I include some of their theories in my fundamental designs, but it all comes to the bottom line. "What do YOU....?"

No need to take things personally jt and enjoy your quadrophonic 901s ;).

Regards,
Brodey

My bad....(and my dad)

1. Sorry for the newbie mistakes. All points well taken and understood.

2. I hope I'm not making another mistake by asking this here.

In the 60's my dad built a pair of "corner" speakers. they stood about 3 feet tall, were probably 2 feet wide in the front and part of the sides, then tapered back to only about a foot wide. They had a horn tweeter, mid and woofer in them. My dad always told me that when place correctly in the room (in the corner of course) they equaled a horn 16 feett wide at the end. They had some very special cut boards inside to baffle them. (I remember watching him build them.)

Although not in the 901 "reflecting" genre, they did seem to incorporate some of the Bose ideas.

Does anybody remember such a build? I would love to find the "pattern" he used and build another pair of these with modern speakers and crossovers.

jtfoto it sounds like your dad was copying the first bose product of 1966, the 2201 series, which failed, they made 36 units
it had an impressive 22 components in them and yes they seems to have their own eq? or amp in each unit.

i actually found this site researching the 2201 speakers.
as a friend of mine currently has 4 of these ancient beasts, as well as a pair of 901 series 1? from the 60's as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.