Wich Suppression Capacitor to block Mains emi?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
if you don't know, then don't try to build it.

Once you understand what the EMI suppression circuitry is supposed to do and how it achieves that target, then you can investigate the correct components and circuits to achieve your end.

Until then don't take any chances. Either buy ready made or avoid altogether.

404 error.

Ehh? X2 caps are specifically rated for across-the-line duty. You sure as heck can put caps across the mains.

The link worked, one year ago. ;) It has been lost in the translation towards the Kermet website I guess.

What I meant was that you must use specific caps accros the mains. The pdf linked detailled which were the suitable ones. Too bad I didn't save it, it was a good read on X and Y ratings.

More on the topic, you can easily get a free, already built main filter by looking a bit around. They're commonly found at the input of computer PS (typically a common mode choke and some caps). Just cut away the part of the pcb with the filter. Actually, the older the PS, the more likely you're to find an overbuilt one in my experience. If you're lucky, you might even get an enclosed one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.