Why Would Anyone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
How would I *like* to? With a wood-burning oven, of course! :D

First, it's essential to have a pro-quality pizza stone. Most of the cheap cooking store versions are not much more than toys. Second, gas oven. I've never gotten the best results from electric. Third, highest temperature possible. Most ovens only go to 550°F. Consideration of safety would NEVER allow me to suggest bypassing the interlocks of your oven and using the self-clean cycle to get things up to 800°F or so. No, I can't POSSIBLY suggest that- it would be WRONG. In any case, you want a long preheat, at least two hours.

We're already planning our woodburning oven project. That will go out on the back porch.

SY, I like your style! Flash cooking with high heat is the way to a great pizza..

I was Planning on an outdoor wood fired oven. (Wood pizza oven Building wood burning brick bread ovens) Have instructions on DVD. It's likely a 2 year project so now Leaning toward a portable unit but a good one is $5K plus..

Over the Last 25 years I acheived good results at home with oven cranked full up, preheat for 1hour.. My new oven goes to 580F..Pizza on a thick black pan and cooked in 8 minutes.. (Quality Pans from Crown Metal Spinnings). Sauce and dough all homemade..

Coal fired pizza Oven, Yummy
wood fired, Yummy

High Heat, Yes, Yes!:)

Oh, I always hold the Mayo

Last edited:
I may not know many things, but I know pizza. :D

Attachments

• pizza.jpg
    pizza.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 99
  • raclette pizza.jpg
    raclette pizza.jpg
    565.4 KB · Views: 98
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Deep dish may be quite delicious, but it's not pizza.

THIS is pizza:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Deep dish is one of the most disgusting "foods" I have ever subjected my digestive system to.

The photo you just posted looks much more like "pizza" to me.

If it has nothing but sauce and cheeze on it, it is not pizza to me. I won't eat it.

Get some goat cheese or brie, roasted red pepper, carmelized onions, basil leaves, anchovie/olive paste, etc., etc. (Or any combination of 3 or 4 of same)... That's pizza!

Joined 2011
Paid Member
There was talk earlier in the thread about flour selection. I have personally found that the dough recipe and process is at least as important. Perhaps more so. My buddy got me on to a 3-day "slow but easy" dough process. Fermentation and gluten structuring makes a massive difference! I also find the pizza to be far more digestible and less "bloating" with this method. I have a similar recipe for french bread that is absolutely fantastic.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Fail. Real pizza margherita wouldn't qualify by your poutine-addled standards.

I should have qualified that statement, or been a bit more specific.

If all it has is canned sauce and rubber mozzarella on it, it isn't pizza.

P.S. Most poutine is a very sad and offensive immitation of the real thing. I won't eat the stuff unless I am in Quebec or parts of the Ottawa Valley. Chip trucks!

Last edited:
When my son was visiting two weeks ago we made pizza using sourdough bread.

Mine was Alfredo sauce, mozzarella cheese, chicken, onions, mushrooms, pickled hot banana peppers and parmesan cheese.

Robert made one with BBQ sauce, chicken, bacon, mozzarella. Not that great in my opinion, but he likes it so whatever floats your boat.

Sauce normally is tomatoes, and basil from the garden with a little olive oil and salt.

First Pizza I ever had was in Naples in 1960. It consisted of a circular dough about 1.5cm thick and maybe 20cm in diameter with sauce and no other ingredients. Not bad, but not my idea of pizza.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Gimp, yours sounds delicious. Robert's is not an uncommon combination, but I cannot abide BBQ sauce on anything. It is just a trick to get people to consume meat that would be otherwise unpalatable. Don't believe me? Try pork ribs without any sauce some time. :)

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
cogitech, you obviously haven't tried properly smoked pork ribs.

They don't need sauce.

I've tried (improperly?) smoked pork ribs. They tasted like burnt grease, hickory and hydrocarbons.

But pork ribs are just one of those things that I have never really enjoyed. I always feel sick after eating them, regardless of the cooking method.

I much prefer pork shoulder cooked low and slow (8-9hours) over charcoal, with a bit of applewood chips for a touch of tangy smokiness.

Last edited:
Sounds like too much smoke on the ribs.

I prefer the Butt roast to the shoulder roast. Although it has more fat in it.

Any way I cook Butt and ribs the same way. Dry rub with salt, curing salt, brown sugar and red pepper. put in bag in refrigerator and turn each day. For ribs two days is plenty, for the Butt I go 7-10 days.

The smoker is an offset, with the firebox filled with charcoal. Once it is ready (Smoke changes from gray to thin blue), I add apple wood which was soaked in water. The apple wood only smokes for about an hour, the rest of the cook time is with heat from the charcoal.

Normally I smoke around 200F/93C for five hours for ribs, and an additional 5-10 hours for Butt with the temp allowed to drop to 175F/79C.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Gimp,

Surprisingly... Butt = shoulder. So we both like the same cut. :)

I don't have a smoker; do mine on a Weber Kettle. I use a very similar method, but mine requires constant attention. I plan on getting a smoker, but everyone is telling me I need a Big Green Egg. I'm not about to take out a second mortgage to buy one, so I am considering an affordable offset.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.