Why the tweeter needs its own full bandwidth amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There was also some research by John Meyer on those forces that are working against tweeter diaphragms. But that was for highpowered systems using HF horns. Horns make the situations worse.

There will be an effect for sure also in a home environment. But I don't know how severe it is. I will definitely continue using a cap in series of my tweeters in active speakers because burnt voice coils do definitely hae a detrimental effect on sound.

Regards

Charles

The microphonics of a typical tweeter in a home system is insignificant. But if you are worried about it, remember, that the tweeters typically have fairly high mechanical damping, particularly if they have ferrofluid, and if you are concerned about the back emf, all that would be required is an amp with low output resistance across the audio band, regardless of its power bandwidth. And heaven forbid that you use a tube amp with high output Z.

Just another point to make here. An amplifier will have little or no effect on damping the movement of a tweeter at low frequency, or at high frequency for that matter. Like any other driver a tweeter has a resonant frequency and a Q factor. Damping of the system, which depends on Q, is a maximum at Fs and drops off at an asymptotic rate of 6 dB/octave both above and below resonance. So, for example, a tweeter with 1k Hz resonance will have approximately 20dB less damping that it does at resonance both at 100 and 10k Hz.

This thread makes me curious how the tweeter and the mid would influence each other on small coaxial systems like this one.

Comparing measurements of the mid and the tweeter (counterpart shorted vs. not connected at all) could probably can answer this. I will try it once the cabinet is ready.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.