• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Why the GZ34 Rectifiers are so expensive!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Here, let me save you some time...

me: you must be deaf
you: you are imagining things
me: you have poor equipment
you: you are delusional and need to do a double blind test
me: I don't need testing, it's clear as day.

ok, hopefully that covers it, have a nice day.

LOL:D

And don't ever compare a resistor type on a gate stopper..;)

Yes that about covers it.. :D Oups missed the commutation spikes,,and the PSU sag...and the white noise..er and.. :)

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
the point was about the use of ears to adjust the knobs... not every aspect of audio can be measured, as there would be lots of electronic test equipment in the recording studio.

I wish RVG had a test equipment to tell him his recordings are clipping to keep him honest!

I do get your point. I used to adjust color corrections on video and having vectorscope and waveform monitor certainly makes life easier on spotting artifacts and correct accordingly. And then there are operators who completely ignore these useful equipment and go by their eyes and end up spending valuable (client) time on fiddling the colors just to get a basic balance before establishing a "look." It still works of course--so is driving without the speedometer--and it's after all a subjective craft. But all I'm saying is to strike a balance of the objective and subjective to achieve the goal.

Yep, audio is last centuries' technology and video is the modern niche. Despite that fact not every aspect of audio has been pinned down and kept in formulea. Makes me wonder why this works like a red cloth on a bull for some techies.
Ain't this Do It Yourself audio? I'd like to do things my way, despite the hand tools and smelly old books. We do not purchase the same goals as there's no need for it. Have fun in what you do and let others have theirs.

I dislike expensive tubes. I dislike cheap tubes too. Tubes should be medium priced, you don't treat them like crap nor like jewelry. I have a NOS Mullard GZ34, it's been sitting in a drawer for years; I also have a Full Music 6SL7 which sells for stupid money (I got it for free). Suffers the same fate as the Mullards. Recently, I could have bought (locally) some metal base EL34's and GZ34's for little money (about 30 euros each) but I didn't because I knew I wouldn't use them. I dislike speculation. I dislike bankers and treasure hunters.

I love cheap tubes that are great but simply not considered.

Here, let me save you some time...

me: you must be deaf
you: you are imagining things
me: you have poor equipment
you: you are delusional and need to do a double blind test
me: I don't need testing, it's clear as day.

ok, hopefully that covers it, have a nice day.

hahaha! funny response!

Too bad its not true though. Superb rectification can be done with very inexpensive television tubes, and if you have a poor mains transformer then no rectifier will fix it! I personally have no use for the GZ34...

I sometimes get fancy and use diodes from the 1930's since they are esthetically pleasing though. :cool:

The truth is that I have zero use for any GZ34.

Cree introduced silicon carbide Schottky diodes a couple of years ago. The 1st generation 1200 PIV parts were costly. Quite recently, Cree introduced a 2nd generation of parts, with much more attractive prices. The Mouser catalog page is here. Cree part # C4D02120A is 1200 PIV/2 A. and Cree part # C3D02060A is 600 PIV/2A.

The cree diodes are truly superb. I love to use them in a Greatz bridge with TV diodes. I use little heat sinks on them (not sure if it really makes a difference though).

The cree's are so efficient and dead silent. I often get a few extra volts B+ compared with my simulations too.

Sorry man, I'm not in for a game of words.
If you have something to share let us know...
Words do play important role on internet forums because people don't see each other fact to face when debating. You have to be careful when writing your thoughts. Claims you posted earlier ("to some extent audible differences are measurable", "not all can be explained by measurement") are misleading and such action doesn't contribute positively on audio forums. There are plenty of misleading audio info out there already, no need to add anymore.

If you can hear it, it can be measured with contemporary devices. In fact, we can measure variations in sound that are too small for us to hear. If you know of sound that we can hear but can't be measured, please let us know...

Those are most likely driven by mainland Prc buyers most likely looking for trophies not for their sound. As other have stated the diodes that are part of the Power supply, which is the positive feedback loop of the circuit . Thus the decoupling of stages from one an other id needed . Unless the PS is well decoupled the diodes have to effect the performance of the circuit. Look at the 30 to 50 english amp they call for 100h total in the supplies and more that's decoupling . As Craig Stark of Stereo Review fame said to me some 30 odd years ago in effect if our measurement do not correlate with what we hear your measuring the wrong things. Measuring voltage drop ,noise , frequency response ,impedance of the diodes is a start. So no their not worth 2k to me because I am not hunting for tube trophies .

Last edited:
Claims you posted earlier ("to some extent audible differences are measurable", "not all can be explained by measurement") are misleading
Some of very best (if not ALL) audio engineers will tell you the same thing? I honestly don't know of any sane person who could claim otherwise. A CD "beat" LP's in every measurable criteria and certainly when it came out sounded at the very least just different...according to many worse. But I guess those people were proven wrong by the measurements weren't they ;) . (Despite Karajan's exclamation that "All else is gaslight.")

Some of very best (if not ALL) audio engineers will tell you the same thing? I honestly don't know of any sane person who could claim otherwise. A CD "beat" LP's in every measurable criteria and certainly when it came out sounded at the very least just different...according to many worse. But I guess those people were proven wrong by the measurements weren't they ;) . (Despite Karajan's exclamation that "All else is gaslight.")
What they sold to the public as cd where far less than they could be but quieter than how badly they made lp in the 80's . The real product was so far removed from the measurements that it became a joke .:p

When Marshall re-introduced the Bluesbreaker, everyone, and I mean everyone, had the GZ34 fail within 3 months. They couldn't supply the ht at that current without flashing over when they were worn in.
I think they came with modern sovteks, can't quite remember. But NOS was more affordable and there was more choice.
Imho valves are great for guitar amps, or any ampwhere you want power compression or touch sensitivity at high volumes. In my experience, in hifi amps you need a lot of henries to get the best out of them. And that is expensive. And valves at that cost? Can't justify it.

... If you can hear it, it can be measured with contemporary devices. In fact, we can measure variations in sound that are too small for us to hear. If you know of sound that we can hear but can't be measured, please let us know...

In post 46 is an excellent example concerning microphone placement. Please inform the world how to better human hearing with a machine. Digital filtering?

In post 46 is an excellent example concerning microphone placement. Please inform the world how to better human hearing with a machine. Digital filtering?
The question was about measuring the difference in sound that we can hear. Even $50 Behringer microphone can detect octave division smaller than what human can perceive with ears. Even a simple RTA graph can show the difference of sound when microphone is moved a quarter of an inch. Again, the measuring devices available now can measure far below human auditory threshold. Do you understand what that means? :rolleyes:
True, to some extent audible differences are measurable. But not all can be explained by measurement.
Let me rephrase it for you to something more accurate.
To some extent, humans can perceive the measured sound. All audible sound to human can be measured and interpreted.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.