• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Why the GZ34 Rectifiers are so expensive!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I will have to try the Schottky diodes...have any good numbers that work at 2 kV PIV or so? I understand these rectify better than the 1N4007's in series.

AFAIK, 1.2 KV. is the current max. for Schottkys. You can wire them is series, but voltage equalizing resistors are essential to avoid cascading part failure. Cree part # C4D02120A is rated for 2 A. and should be quite satisfactory in new builds.

1N4007s produce hideous amounts of switching noise. IMO, 1Nnnnn parts have no place in HIFI equipment, either tubed or SS. You can come darned close to, if not completely match, Schottky performance by carefully snubbing UF4007s. AAMOF, simply replacing 1Nnnnn parts with the corresponding UFnnnn parts greatly reduces the switching noise level.

H to K maximum voltage rating in one way (heater positive referenced to the cathode) in the order of only +100 to +300V (peak).[/QUOTE

This is true, but in TV use AND the typical power supply the heater will be near ground potential and the cathode will be positive (at B+ or Boost voltage with superimposed AC peaks). In this case the ratings are typically 900 volts of DC with peaks in the several KV range (5500 volts for the 6DW4B).

Granted a separate heater supply elevated to near B+ voltage is ideal, but zillions of TV sets ran the heater at ground or line voltage. Anyone here service TV's in the 60's and 70's? Did you EVER see a damper tube with a H/K short? In fact did you ever see a damper tube fail on it's own? If they died, it was usually due to a downstream short or high current situation. Where were the H/K shorts? .....always in the most expensive tube in the TV.....the CRT. I did see some tuner tubes with H/K shorts due to lightning, but that was collateral damage, the tuner was trash.

It must also be remembered that TV damper diodes were not made (nor recommended) for mains supply frequency (50/60 Hz) rectification and worked at TV horizontal (line) scanning frequency with very short duration pulses.

This is a given. No damper tube was ever intended for, or recommended for line frequency rectification, with exception of the 6BY5. The 6BY5 is rated for both services. The damper tube in a TV receives a rough life. It conducts nearly continuously and handles peak currents of up to 1 amp 15,000+ times a second for hours at a time.

worked at TV horizontal (line) scanning frequency with very short duration pulses. (max. ratings given by RCA are for 10 microseconds pulses).

The only rating that is specified for short pulse duration is the PIV (5500 volts on the 6DW4B).

In typical TV flyback use the plate of the damper tube is connected to B+. It's cathode is connected to a tap on the primary of the flyback transformer. The plate of the horizontal (line) output tube is connected to another tap on the primary. The cathode of the horizontal output tube is grounded.

The deflection yoke is an electromagnet that can deflect the electron beam in the CRT controlling where the bright spot lands on the CRT's face. It is wired across two more taps on the flyback's primary. There are other taps on the primary for synchronization, convergence, blanking, focus, and AGC gating.

At the beginning of a horizontal line the Horizontal (line) Output Tube is switched on (G1 to near zero volts). Current flows from B+ through the damper tube, the flyback, and the HOT to ground. The inductance of the flyback and yoke is such that the current ramps up, building a magnetic field in the flyback and yoke. This field SWEEPS (get the name) the beam from left to right, moving the dot across the face of the TV screen.

When the dot reaches the right side of the screen the HOT is switched off and the current ceases. The magnetic field collapses and the beam FLIES BACK to the left side. The collapsing field generates a large positive going spike imposed on the cathode of the damper tube, and the plate of the HOT. It also generates about 30KV in the secondary of the flyback transformer.

As specified this pulse lasts a very short time. Portions of this pulse are used to generate the focus voltage, blank (cutoff) the CRT during this retrace time, and synchronize the horizontal oscillator with the TV signal.

At the beginning of HOT switch on (beam trace) the current is low, and ramps up to a high level as the beam moves to the right. The current reaches its peak value as the beam is switched off (start of retrace). The peak current can reach 1 amp in a 25 inch TV. The average current is 250 to 350 mA. During this time the average DC voltage on the flyback primary is clamped at the B+ voltage by the damper tube.

When the current is switched off the positive spike on the primary side of the flyback is in the 2 to 3 KV range and lasts for a few microseconds. During this time the HOT is cut off, and the damper is reverse biased. The cathode voltage is 2 to 3 KV. It is RC filtered to generate the boost voltage.

The damper in a TV set is conducting for over 90% of the time. and rated for 200 to 350 mA of average current. In line powered rectifier service it will conduct anywhere from 5% to 40% of the time depending on the filter following the tube. You must respect the plate dissipation rating which is usually 5 to 8 watts. Forward DC drop is 25 to 35 volts, so you could draw 200 mA or so continuously, or 400 mA for 50% of the time.

Anyone here service TV's in the 60's and 70's? Did you EVER see a damper tube with a H/K short? In fact did you ever see a damper tube fail on it's own?
That would be me. Well, many black any white sets had a dedicated filament winding for the damper. So if it did go H/K short you wouldn't really know it as long as the tranny's insulation was good. Color sets are another story. As new damper types came out they didn't H/K short but they did arc internally with age. Sometimes all it took was a kid jumping on the floor.

When I worked for an independent service shop we took a tube tester into the home and replaced anything weak. Any you always gave the damper tube a little tap-tap to see if it arced. And they usually always did. But when I was with RCA we were forbidden to tap it since most customers had a service contract and they didn't want to give up an extra tube.

I always liked the 6CM3 and 6CE3/6CD3/6DT3 with their double diode construction and greater dissipation.

That would be me. Well, many black any white sets had a dedicated filament winding for the damper. So if it did go H/K short you wouldn't really know it as long as the tranny's insulation was good. Color sets are another story. As new damper types came out they didn't H/K short but they did arc internally with age. Sometimes all it took was a kid jumping on the floor.

When I worked for an independent service shop we took a tube tester into the home and replaced anything weak. Any you always gave the damper tube a little tap-tap to see if it arced. And they usually always did. But when I was with RCA we were forbidden to tap it since most customers had a service contract and they didn't want to give up an extra tube.

I always liked the 6CM3 and 6CE3/6CD3/6DT3 with their double diode construction and greater dissipation.

I suppose you means double plate structure ?, as there are no dual plate (full wave rectifier) TV damper diodes. (AFAIK)
TV damper diodes are robust but they DID fail as any old TV repairman will tell you. I'm amongst them and replaced many dampers with HK shorts or other defects during my career. Leaving the heaters unreferenced (floating) or close to max H-K ratings is not good engineering practice even if this can be found in some cheap TV sets. For new projects I would allways use a separate heater winding (or transformer) for the rectifier tube, damper or not. I never had a TV damper diode failure used in 50/60 Hz rectifier service but I allways use them well below max.ratings

Not if you ground the CT.

For those who want their heaters elevated, add a big FAT zener diode from the heater circuit to ground. It should have a zener voltage higher than the elevation potential so that it is out of the circuit under normal operation, and large enough (at least 5 watts) to blow the HV fuse in case of a H/K short. I use the 1.5KE series Transorbs.

That would be me.

My experience in TV repair was limited to fixing old junk or ripping it apart to make tube amps as a teenager. In high school I got a job in a TV repair shop (1968 to 1970.) The shop was a Philco authorized shop and about 75% of the TV's we did were modern (for 1970) Philco TV's. Damper (Compactrons) failures were rare. Common problems were IF strip oscillations (6EJ7 and 6EH7), Vertical foldover (6LU8) caused by bad cathode bypass cap, HOT (6KD6) failure, and the usual HV arcing caused by dust and humidity. We also had a few bad yokes. Philco TV's were sold at Firestone tire stores, among other places. The Firestone stores offered credit to anyone, so a lot of those TV's went into non air-conditioned homes, some of which were quite dirty, and roach or ant infested. A roach in the HV box can blow a damper tube, and fry the flyback! The roach will carbonize and conduct.

We also did quite a few GE color TV's. These would also get the usual HV arc, but the Lexan internals in the HV box would carbon track, leading to fried parts and more than a few fires!

There were a few metal cased Sylvanias. Big, heavy, and ugly, but stone reliable. Heat, humidity, and bugs were the usual causes of death.

My experience may be different than others, since south Florida's heat, humidity, and bugs have factored in the failure modes.....and I didn't even mention beer + electronics, that would be my next job. I ran the service department of an Olson Electronics store near the campus of the University of Miami. The store was at the end of Frat House row. Frat parties can kill TV's and stereos.

I have a Scott 200 integrated amplifier that I bought for $150 in well-working condition in 1998. It uses an 5AR4 - it appears to be original. Well, I decided to remove it and hold it as the back-up, and use a Sovtek. After 3 years of use the cathode coating began flying off and creating flashes, as well as sending thumps through the system. I pulled it before failure (thank goodness). Put the original 5AR4 back in and it still works to this day. Had the amp in for service after the power supply cap began failing and i started having motorboating - service was by one of the former Conrad Johnson in-house techs (I live in the DC area). He tested the 5AR4 and said it still had a lot of life. Whatever you may say about snakeoil claims of NOS GZ34/5AR$, my personal experience is that the 5AR4 is a rugged tube and new tubes do not match current production. This has been seconded by tube vendors who would be more than willing to sell me $250 NOS tubes, which says much about their integrity and their knowledge, IMHO.

There was a period of time about 3 years ago where JJ, Sovtek, and Shuguang 5AR4's would randomly spark out, sometimes on initial power up. Once a good tube was found, it would last for several years. This appeared to be batch related. I got a dozen "tested and sorted" Sovteks from a reseller who guaranteed them. They are all still alive.

I collected a bunch of the failed tubes and took them apart. The main problem was inconsistent cathode coating thickness. When the tube is first switched on the cathode heats up from the inside. The areas with thin coating heat up first. These hot spots will try to take on all the current that should be evenly distributed throughout the cathode, and the current density is exceeded. Sparks fly.

Some tubes also had alignment issues. The cathode must be centered inside a perfectly round plate structure in order for the current density to be uniform across the entire cathode surface.

Some new production tubes do not always get these things right......some old tubes, especially from the end of the vacuum tube era didn't either.

Tubelab....Alignment would do it almost every time...same with uneven cathode coating....that goes back to quality control...especially at the beginning of a batch run....testing takes time and costs the manufacturer money..and there will be rejects..but the customer is the final inspector...

With the internet and user forums, selling crap can get a vendor a bad name fast....holds even with new equipment.

I like Eli Duttman's idea with the dampers and Schottky diodes to get around the high cost of 5AR4's in new builds....I always tie the heater to cathode, even if I have to use separate filament transformers...saves a lot of trouble in the long run...treat a 6AU4 like it was half a 5U4....

All of my past builds use either 5AR4 or the 5Y3GT. I have a whole box of vintage 5U4GB's made by Tung-Sol, Sylvania for JAN, and others that I can't remember that would like to use for something. I have some Mullard 5-20's I built that uses 5AR4 for rectification duties and the voltages are 20 volts higher than specified for the circuit, maybe I should try them here, the power transformer 5V winding is rated for 3A and the reservoir cap voltage rating is 700V, everything after that is rated for 500V.

Why does the 5U4 get no love? Is it because it draws 3A? Is it because it doesn't have the slow start up like the 5AR4?

The Dual/Triple Rectifier series of guitar amps by Mesa uses 5U4 tubes, that's all I know off-hand that does.

Yes that's true, I remember now I gave a friend of mine a NOS Sylvania 5U4 for his Mesa Lonestar a few years back. I am thinking they are less favorable due to the cost of having a 3A heater winding, on a mass production scale the $$$ adds up. And we all know corporate America is after the all mighty $$$$ :yuck:

Last edited:
5AR4

Famousmockingbird...the slow start up of the 5AR4 reduces surge voltages on capacitors, tubes, and other components. The 3 A filament on the 5U4 essentially is immaterial. The 5U4 produces dc almost immediately at power on, and high surge voltages result until the other tubes come up to temperature.

All of my past builds use either 5AR4 or the 5Y3GT. I have a whole box of vintage 5U4GB's made by Tung-Sol, Sylvania for JAN, and others that I can't remember that would like to use for something. I have some Mullard 5-20's I built that uses 5AR4 for rectification duties and the voltages are 20 volts higher than specified for the circuit, maybe I should try them here, the power transformer 5V winding is rated for 3A and the reservoir cap voltage rating is 700V, everything after that is rated for 500V.

Why does the 5U4 get no love? Is it because it draws 3A? Is it because it doesn't have the slow start up like the 5AR4?

You've given some of the reasons for 5AR4 chauvanism. Add that importing tubes from Europe in 1960 frequently cost less than buying U.S. made and the panache associated with the Mullard name.

Trying the 5U4s in the 5-20s to reduce the B+ rail voltage a bit is logical. If the 5 VAC winding has a CT, use it as the B+ takeoff point. Watch the size of the 1st filter cap., as the 5U4's limit is smaller. Those TungSol 5U4GBs are regarded as being the best ever. If you need cash, selling some of your pile off will raise it.

BTW, if you want to slow the B+ rise down a bit when a directly heated vacuum rectifier is employed, install a CL-90 inrush current limiting thermistor between the rectifier and the PSU filter. FWIW, the presence of a CL-90 allows you to take a SMALL liberty in choosing the value of the 1st filter capacitor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.