Why rega plinths have to be low mass?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have taken my rega planar as far as it can go with all the mods in the market, platter, counter weight, feet, rewire, etc, etc, it is been a fun ride, but I have always dream of a nice hard wood plinth, it does note have to be 4 inches wide, but 1 and a half would be nice, the only thing that has stop me is all the comments about the original plinth being a essential part of the rega design, if you ask me, it is all about keeping such design under budget. Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice

Which Begs the Question...

All of this of course begs the question; has anyone peeled the laminate off of a P2 or P3 to see what was underneath?

We all know Rega uses a laminate covered particle board but, what did they actually do to it?

Pictures anyone? Documentation?

Cheers -ALBQ

PS - No Rega slam intended - P5 w/Dynavector 17D3 owner

low mass=low energy storeage

dude! have a look (in my best Jeff Spicoli So' Cal surf-talk voice) at this

That is something I've been thinking about, an uber stiff, uber light plinth ( at least for the bearing and platter). There are some benefits to having a massive "base" plinth for a turntable, If it is a multi plinth design.

Ken Lyons used to hang around here a bit, and audioasylum as well. He makes some great light weigh shelves for various equipment stands, at Greater Ranges . I've got an 85-90% (so sez Ken or said) DIY one. I shall not divulge any info as it is proprietary, and I don't own the patent or copyrights, but Ken stated in my first try I was at least 85-90% of the current Neuance shelves. He did share a few trade secrets with me, but his first question was "did you cut a Neuance apart?"

Sorry I can't afford to cut apart his great shelves, they are a little expensive to buy one and hack it apart.

The same thing can be said about loudspeaker enclosures. Everything else being equal, a lighter enclosure stores less energy and therefore when it does release spurious energy (and all enclosures do), the amplitude of the energy release is much smaller in magnitude.

stew

They use particle board, they can market it as low energy storage all they like, it's not true, it doesn't have a particularly fast transmission speed for vibrations and it's not particularly stiff.

If they made them out of Nomex/carbon laminate then perhaps there might be some truth to their marketing puff, but frankly it's just that, smoke and mirrors.

P5 owner who replaced plinth with wood block and mounted motor and arm onto carbon fibre plates.

Looking for jlsem - Dallas Texas

Hello to all;

I'm looking for jlsem - and cannot contact him directly because I am being moderated as anew member. He has done work for Albert Porter - and Albert and I are currently testing similar gear.

As a woodworker, John is the man I need to speak to regarding some technical advice for the SP 10 MK II and MK III plinths he has made.

I propose to reconfigure his plinth to accomodate Garrard 301 and 401 tables. I would appreciate if someone could ask john to contact me at "bobcame2@telus.net" I don't wish to contravene the protocol of this site - but I am need of specific information - and thought I may speed the process this way. Thanks.

Bob Cameron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.