Why no MOSFETs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
WRONG! Get your facts straight before jumping to such mistaken conclusions.
There are many successful amplifiers with mosfet output devices. For over a decade! Where have you been?

Hahaha. "WRONG!"... I love that!

Hey here's an idea... Why don't you get your literacy straight before you get all hostile on a freakin discussion forum. It is completely uncalled for, and I'm offended!

Context clues--You see more BJT designs floating around versus MOSFET designs... as the author of the thread pointed out.

Where did I say that there aren't many successful MOSFET amplifiers, as you implied?

I own a ******* MOSFET amp for christ's sake!

And is it logical to assume that I'm dissing IRF?? I'm not in the least bit. In fact I even stated that Nelson Pass's designs are reliable due (in part) to the fact that he keeps them cool and never pushes them hard individually.

A reader with a well rounded literary sense would assume, right there, that there are successful designs out there.

For whatever reason, Counterpoint products were unreliable because the MOSFETs failed, and the amps dumped DC into speakers, etc... Sure, with more careful design work they would've been fine. My point is that it may have smeared the image of MOSFETs among some designers.

Read more carefully in the future and don't assume so much. Jeesh!!

JFETglare,

There is a reason you recieved the reaction you got. You made a statement that is untrue.

Remember that IRF MOSFETs are the reason why Counterpoint went out of business

The above statement is simply not true. Counterpoint did not use IRF Mosfets exclusively.

The other point is that the amplifiers on PassDIY.com are mostly Class A except for the Zen V. They are not efficient and dissipate alot of heat, hence the large heat sinks. In general, one could make a case that for any transistor, that keeping the junction temperatures lower would lead to greater longevity. I don't think this applies to mosfets only.

I am not picking on you, rather I am just explaing the reaction you recieved.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.