Why need expensive soldering station?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Look on Ebay and find a used Metcal for 150.00 or so. After using it my fire sticks just gather dust. It was by far the single biggest improvement to my soldering capabilities that I have ever experienced. Since than I picked up a spare unit for 60.00 bucks, handle piece included.
One of the best things about the Metcal is the distance from the tip to your finger tips holding the slim handle is very short. It's like holding a Sharpie permanent marker and roughly the same diameter. Plus the heat recovery time is almost non existent, the induction heating system just works!

BillWojo

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The Metcal uses a 40? watt RF generator to dump energy into the tip. A 40 W 20 MHz transmitter is not cheap either. The temperature is controlled through the Curie point of the metal that the RF terminates in. The temperature is fixed by the alloy and very precise (physics of molecules). They heat up very fast and stop instantly when they reach the temperature. Mine usually are at temp within 10 seconds or so unless it a big tip. And extra heat is instantaneous. Temperature at the tip is critical for reliability. Not so much for hobbyists but if you were building pacemakers or aircraft navigation systems (or spacecraft, where my Metcals came from) would you take any chances? BTW my Metcals are all at least 20+ years old and working fine. With the right tips they great for SMT rework.

I believe OK bought Metcal a number of years ago. They are still there: Metcal Hand Soldering, Convection Rework, Fume Extraction

I would not hesitate to get a used Metcal if its working. I have a large assortment of used tips from eBay and they last a long time.

There are at least two versions. I would get only the 20 MHz (MX) version. Much more stuff available for it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I guess I haven't experienced a Metcal yet. I do depend on my station working - so I have a spare, new station in it's box waiting. Of course that station lasted 'till it got intermittent. I asked for (and received) a schematic from the OEM and rebuilt it, it hasn't missed a beat since. This one is a Solomon SL-30 and you can find it under many names, although the model number is the same. It is a "Digital" station in that it has a digital display for temperature set point and actual tip temperature. It's an analog RTD element. Takes longer to warm up, but it works reliably. Many tip choices and I bought all except the conical tips. What are those used for except for poking holes in things?

Recently I had the opportnity to try a new brand called Quick. It's a Chinese station that heats quickly. It has four temperature presets and lockout. Again, many tip styles and comes with the useless conical tip. I ordered all different tips (Hakko tips fit and work as well as the original tips). Copy of Hakko, or OEM? I don't know. Again, digital temperature indications for set and actual temperatures. This one does hold the tip within 2 °C, and that is plenty close enough. Heat is dumped in instantly when needed. Being a "stripo" model, it doesn't sense iron down like my hot air station does, but the tips really last and it's always ready to go.

Weller stations. I've owned an entire shop full and they were always breaking. Tips, heaters and switches. I bought the Solomon in desperation and it transformed my soldering iron experience into a pleasant one from what it was. I think that Weller is over-priced and unreliable compared to these other two irons. I do still have my 12V 60W controlled temperature iron from Weller. It has come in very handy.

So why a soldering station instead of a "hobby iron". Those simple heat sticks can induce AC leakage currents into the board you're working on and may blow some components. They aren't grounded except for the newer three wire models, and then they are hard grounded. Stations normally have a binding post at the rear to ground to your bench. I use a resistive ground to dissipate static without providing a discharge path for capacitors. The hobby irons will all get too darned hot and there is no control of temperature with a changing thermal load. You would almost be further ahead using a soldering gun, but they are their own special type of destructive situation. Don't use these on circuit boards!!!

Basically, what you need is something that will maintain a reasonably constant temperature without injecting any currents into your work while discharging static charges slowly (nicely). It would be nice if response time was short, and this is where the Metcal stations shine. However, the less expensive Chinese stations now use RF technology to heat the tip, so the advantage Metcal has may be being eroded. The little Quick station on my bench is my favorite heating tool right now until I get something better. Better will probably mean "heats up faster", so it becomes a convenience thing instead of creating a better soldered connection.

-Chris

I use a hakko 926.
Gotta be at least 20 years old or more by now.
Certainly nothing as exotic as can be bought these days.
But still WELL above the cheap junk you can get.
All its ever needed has been tips.
I've done smd through to double sided power supply cap replacements with this iron.
Not the fastest heat up. But for the price of faster replacement. It will do me....

And yes, it's disgusting after only two years atten wont fix it.

Many inputs stated a good soldering station is essential for good work and especially for those that couldn't take a chance. I agreed.

Yet, why they are so expensive besides it uses RF technology. Does RF technology worth so much in a soldering station? Anyway, it is something that invented since Star War I.

I would not use anything less as a professional.

When I was working as an engineer at Motorola building prototype stuff which was all SMD, they put a Metcal on my desk. It was awesome and I liked it.

Now that I am retired and on my own budget, I have a cheapie Stahl from Parts Express. If you have been soldering for over 50 years, you can do the job with almost anything. When I was working and had a decent paycheck, I got a XYtronic from Jameco. It certainly wasn't a Metcal but it was good enough for everything I did and lasted over 10 years.

Why do the highest quality tools always cost more? Better engineering, better materials etc. Once you pick up a Metcal or other high end tool, you will understand.
Why buy a high end turntable when a Crosley will play a record for about 100 bucks?
Why spend a lot of money for a stereo system when a boombox will play music?

BillWojo

A good soldering iron can deliver zero heat flow to high amount of heat flow, without much change of tip temperature. This is essential for soldering delicate components and high thermal mass (ground plane) with the same tool. Cheap soldering irons simply are not able to regulate the tip temperature when you solder big pieces of metal.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Nigel,
You will notice a massive difference between your heat stick and a modern soldering station. You can get proper temperature controlled stations with digital control (you want this!) from less than $100 Canadian to about the low $200's. Both of my stations listed for around $110 I think, the Quick may have been much less than that. I didn't get it through normal channels, so I don't really know the market price.

This would be one of the best investments you could make for a tool you will use almost as much as your DVM.

-Chris

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...high wattage is extremely useful when I am soldering ground lines with a big ground plate. It never fails me until one day, it is out of order after two years.....

This 310 Watt Vulcan will solder very large Copper, must be 50 years old, still cooks, and the factory is in a field an hour away from my house.

Attachments

• Vulcan-310W.gif
    Vulcan-310W.gif
    173.7 KB · Views: 158
  • VulcanIron.jpg
    VulcanIron.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 154
I too have been using Metcals over 20 years and have replaced thousands of bad caps with my personal unit I keep at work. (I have a second one for home.) The unit at work failed a few weeks back because of a bad capacitor. I had to borrow another Metcal to repair mine. Is that a variation on incest?

I have a variety of stations and irons.

I have an ancient manual heat iron
Three hand helds:
a weller 100watt
One like RPR
and hand me down.
Two Hakko 936s one std, one ESD safe
WPS3000 rework station (euro Weller).
Radio Shack Solder Gun
Almost had a metcal or two.

30 lbs of various 63/37 and same with 2% silver (62/37/2)?, and 2 spools of 60/40.
1 spool of lead free somewhere
1 spool of WBT for those special occasions.
140 rolls of MilSpecFluxedDesolderWick hermetically sealed.

As an aside of also have a complete set of Oxy-Ace torches, tips, cutters,
cleanouts, regs, and tools...with real silver solder...looking for affordable big tanks.

I like the WPS3000 Station...it just works.

I did have a similar version of the Weller 100 watt iron
I should say a "woosie" version of it.
While working on some larger tube gear I took a break.
When I came back I couldn't believe my eyes,
The iron had melted in half in the stand.
The handle at 90 degrees resting on the bench
while the hot tip was cooking away.

I called Cooper Tools at the time and they sent me
a replacement industrial pale green 100 watter...
haven't had a problem since.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.