Why Let an Amplifier Sound Good when You can Force it to?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1. That's exactly what I want to stress. Rationalists are subjects of some sort of inverted placebo effect. Since they are assured that anything they hear is dubious, they don't even bother listening with their own ears.
What a boring life! And why are these guys participating in this forum? It's absurd, the perfect amplifier is already made.

People are on this forum because they like building or designing audio equipment, or helping others with doing so. Whether you actually believe that your equipment sounds better than the average equipment is not relevant, although I can imagine that people who do believe that are more motivated.

Personally I like unconventional designs that are in some way more elegant than the usual designs. Hence I'm listening to a non-switching class-AB amplifier with class-AB bias loop and a DC bias loop with second-order Butterworth response, rather than Self's boring "blameless" stuff. But I doubt very much whether I would hear any difference in a blind test.

Yes, if we are here just to try to conserve our beliefs. Audiophiles reports that they hear something at home in their living room. In a typical blind test the subject usually is a bit tense and cannot hear all the nuances he hears in his hifi sofa. Should we therefore dismiss him? Isn't there reason to carefully investigate whether this placebo fool maybe is in to something real?
We should have a free mind. And I think the whole diyaudio is pirated by a bunch of rationalists.
Blind test aren't useful when it comes to such a subjective matters as perception of audio, music, timbres, 3D, whatever you want to call it.

MAYBE, is say maybe all audiophile are subjects of the placebo effect, but we can't be sure.

OK Marcel, if you listen by your own ears, then the whole thing is unproven. Yes, but come on, be a bit personal! Isn't it boring to be so assured of something that you don't even dare open your ears!

For what it's worth, when I do believe that I might hear a difference, I do double blind tests. For example, when I added super tweeters to my DIY loudspeaker boxes, I first connected them via an ABX switch box to see if they were worth the trouble (which they were). The valve DAC I designed has ABX testing functionality built in; you can put it in surprise mode and have it randomly select one of its three sigma-delta algorithms and one of its filters. It has a non-volatile memory that stores the surprise setting so you can switch it off and continue listening later if you like. I don't hear any difference, though, except in the noise floor at very high volumes, and I made the design so expensive that there are only very few people considering to build it.

Last edited:
I am not in any camp. I try to keep an open mind, particularly when it comes to my ability to hear differences that are so small that it's theoretically impossible.
If you are DIY-ing then the aim should be to improve understanding.

A question: How do you set/lower the amount of feedback applied in an amp?

Another question: What else changes beyond just increasing distortion?

By the way, from an objectivist's point of view, if an ABX test shows that there is an audible difference between two amplifiers, that means that at least one of them is no good. An objectivist would then want to find out which one is the culprit and to modify it such that it starts to sound just like any other amplifier.

Why Let an Amplifier Sound Good when You can Force it to ?

I would like to suggest some possible thread title revisions:

1. Am I being deceived? Circle Yes or No

2. If you aren’t a retired EE or have mental health issues, throw your diyaudio membership into the ocean and relieve yourself from bondage!

3. “Does an amplifier have Buddha Nature?” “No.”

4. Can the people with PhDs stop quoting AES papers so I feel a little less intimidated?

5. Wait, I thought I could trust that Nelson Pass guy!? He looks so jolly....

6. Give me your thoughts on amplifier design while also unintentionally revealing to me how long it’s been since you last got laid.

I’m open to suggestions as well.

Last edited:
suzyj said:
The aim of music reproduction is to faithfully reproduce the material the artist recorded, not to mess with it.
True, but you have to bear in mind that not everyone desires faithful music reproduction. Some prefer something else. That is fine, provided that they don't try to pretend otherwise and claim that their preferred distortion is somehow more faithful than an attempt at genuine hi-fi.

gabdx said:
All serious designers spend critical time asking for people 'blind' perception and blind testing their creations, they also refine as much as possible the sound.
I believe I read somewhere that Peter Walker (Quad) claimed never to listen to his designs while developing them. I guess that makes him a 'not serious' designer, according to you.

True, but you have to bear in mind that not everyone desires faithful music reproduction. Some prefer something else. That is fine, provided that they don't try to pretend otherwise and claim that their preferred distortion is somehow more faithful than an attempt at genuine hi-fi.

I believe I read somewhere that Peter Walker (Quad) claimed never to listen to his designs while developing them. I guess that makes him a 'not serious' designer, according to you.
sure he listened to them after quite for some time and had an audition review panel before producing and releasing the model to the stores otherwise this is stupid.

The public is not dumb, it will choose the best price/look with less compromises for his musical taste if any.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
http://reocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Lab/6722/pwint1.txt
PW: We designed our valve (tube) amplifier, manufactured it, and put it on the market, and never actually listened to it. In fact, the same applies to the 303 and the 405. People say, "Well that's disgusting, you ought to have listened to it." However, we do a certain amount of listening tests, but they are for specific things. We listen to the differential distortion - does a certain thing matter? You've got to have a listening test to sort out whether it matters. You've got to do tests to sort out whether rumble is likely to overload pickup inputs, or whether very high frequency stuff coming out of the pickup due to record scratch is going to disturb the control unit. But we aren't sitting down listening to Beethoven's Fifth and saying, "That amplifier sounds better, let's change a resistor or two. Oh yes, that's now better still." We never sit down and listen to a music record through an amplifier in the design stage. We listen to funny noises, funny distortions, and see whether these things are going to matter, to get a subjective assessment. But we don't actually listen to program material at all.
The public may not be dumb, but is easily seduced by marketing.

Why Let an Amplifier Sound Good when You can Force it to ?

So what ?

That one of the largest, well vetted double blind studies in history got it wrong, then proceeded to influence public policy and spread misinformation to the public on one of the leading causes of death in the US for the next 40 years or so? I guess you didn’t read it.

I’m not against blind or double blind testing. I consider myself a realist- don’t read that as I’m in the magical thinking subjectivist category. I lean toward objectivist values. However, my point is that the objectivists yield just as flawed conclusions along with the subjectivists, just due to different reasons. One is not pure and rational while the other infantile and misguided.

I don’t see one or the other as the beacon of truth.

Who paid for something or what an entity has to gain or lose by the results is a statistically relevant indicator of the ultimate findings, for example.

If you want to know the truth, follow the money.

50 Years Ago, Sugar Industry Quietly Paid Scientists To Point Blame At Fat : The Two-Way : NPR

A lot of vitriol is slung at marketing folks by the science minded here, curiously omitting the fact that scientists are regularly on the dole as well.

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi,

if it doesn´t how come that that the error voltage at the diff-amps input depends on feedback factor?

jauu
Calvin

It has to be, and it always is, feedback or not. The amp itself always works open loop. The result of the feedback is that the effective input signal between the two input pins is exactly right in amplitude and phase, to get the required output voltage.

We even can tell with accuracy what that input signal between the pins is at any time: it is Vout divided by the amp open loop gain. No more, no less. Exact.

I second Mark Whitney's terms 'beauty and elegance'. Nature at its best!

Jan

Last edited:
You mean that the "rationalists" also are passionate but perhaps conservative and they don't want to stick out their heads and reveal their personal experiences?
Yes...
But why not share these experiences?

Fair enough. About three months ago I was at a demonstration of an open-loop directly-heated triode amplifier. I don't believe for a second that it is in any way more accurate than a good feedback amplifier, but it definitely sounded quite nice. On top of that, I liked the yellow light coming out of the thoriated tungsten filaments of the output valves and the beautiful wooden enclosure of the amplifier.

We all know that you can't prove subjective matters. Actually, there are recent research that reveals that our hearing is more hard to grasp than one might expect. Why constantly stick to the old assumption that the level of THD is the only thing that matters?

Based on what I've read about double-blind amplifier tests, I believe that gain matching and frequency response flatness are far more likely to cause audible differences than harmonic distortion, with a possible exception for amplifiers with unusually high distortion. There are people who can hear a 0.2 dB gain difference under double-blind conditions, but they tend to perceive it as a difference in sound quality rather than volume. Many amplifiers with 0.0X % distortion have a gain that varies far more than 0.2 dB over the audio band, making proper gain matching over the full band impossible.

Why not have some courage and accept that we all are subjects of the placebo effect, but therefore should not resort to the lowest level of reasoning. I mean, subatomic particles can exist at two places at the same time, why be so certain?

Having read several of your threads, I always wonder why you have such a strong preference for the most unlikely sounding hypotheses. For example, your subjective preference for non-oversampling DACs without reconstruction filter could simply be due to the slight treble roll-off of the sin(x)/x response of the zeroth order hold, or due to the fact that DACs without interpolation filter have no intersample overshoot problem. Still, the only hypotheses you seem to take into consideration are those involving audible ultrasonics.

ScottJoplin. You mean that the "rationalists" also are passionate but perhaps conservative and they don't want to stick out their heads and reveal their personal experiences?
Yes...
But why not share these experiences? We all know that you can't prove subjective matters. Actually, there are recent research that reveals that our hearing is more hard to grasp than one might expect. Why constantly stick to the old assumption that the level of THD is the only thing that matters?
Why not have some courage and accept that we all are subjects of the placebo effect, but therefore should not resort to the lowest level of reasoning. I mean, subatomic particles can exist at two places at the same time, why be so certain?

suzyj.

That's why blind tests are difficult. It takes time to decide what you like. Can you decide in 30 seconds if you love a girl or not? ( Drastic example)

BUT.....

It's a fact that everyone hears a difference when changing amplifier, disregarding if it's an approvement or not. This indicate, I think, that it's not the THD level that makes the difference.
That old theory is simply to blunt.

Of course, excuses for blind testing=not hearing a differernce, and the stupidest "fact" I've heard since listening to Donald Trump.

I think it is the quest for personal achievement satisfaction is what brings people to attempt amp designs with no more than 0.000000% distortion.

I have recently looking more towards the ultimate wave whipper that beats the cone into compliance with the sonic compression variations of a symphony's multitude of different harmonics.

Rock and Pop type music isn't much of a challenge. You can make rock music with a TTL chip.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.