Why is nobody making a modern "Coral Beta 8"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just a couple of observations on the Coral Betas :

1. The magnets are really huge, chunky and heavy.
2. Coral used Cloth surrounds, quite rare these days...
3. The paper cones were stamped/processed to have annular rings...
4, No idea on the cone paper material but sure looks different from the Fostex range...
4. The frame is die-cast and really massive..

It's really a very magnificient driver to hold in your hands.. :)

When it comes to Corals (and some other drivers too), magnets get a lot of attention and tend to be discussed more; but definitely other important features/technolgies must have been at work - type of paper, cone design, suspension, voice coil design etc.

Anything that really stands out looking/handling the Corals vs modern drivers? What was Coral doing different from a driver design point of view?

I guess the trick would be to find the people that were involved in making them back in the day, and relaunch them if all the knowledge of materials, tooling etc is still there and available.. Sort of like a GPA thing :)

Hmmm. Step 1 would obviously be to ascertain the actual events which lead to the closure, and so, try to identify who now owns the tooling. What was the name of the company that manufactured the Coral brand? Was it privately or publicly held? Was it bought out or did it fold and have the assets sold off?

Perhaps interested parties could commence a wikipedia entry on the history and fate of Coral. Then as we uncover more, add to it.
(Facts and references, pls - not supposition.)

???

cheers

Doug

Coral Beta 8 with Alnico's .. that's very intertesting.. The ones I have look like these, if I'm not wrong are not Alnico..

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

FWIW, I happen to have 4 pairs of mint cond. barely used Beta8 here, and they are all Alnico. I have built a lot of speakers using Flat8 and 10, and they were all Ferrite.

Last edited:
As I´m getting deeper these days into the Coral history, I´ve learned som things about the drivers/company.

First of all: Coral ceased to exist as manufacturer because of age. As a former distributor told me that all managers/engineers have been well into their seventies, even eighties when they sold Coral. Few years later, the successors couldn´t hold up quality standards and finished Coral off.

For the Beta 8: It definitely is a extremely well made driver, very beautiful (or sexy ) for any speaker aficionado.

BUT: Corals sound fascination does NOT steem from perfection - they are far away from it - I´ve done some thourough measurements and wouldn´t recommend them.
Of course, there is no better sounding fullrange driver in this universe....

Regards

Thomas

The pic I got are thru google search... Here's another one.. hope it helps..

R0010593.jpg

R0010603.jpg

BTW, can you post the pic in higher resolution please?

Last edited:
As I´m getting deeper these days into the Coral history, I´ve learned som things about the drivers/company.

First of all: Coral ceased to exist as manufacturer because of age. As a former distributor told me that all managers/engineers have been well into their seventies, even eighties when they sold Coral. Few years later, the successors couldn´t hold up quality standards and finished Coral off.

Regards

Thomas

Were they manufacturing the Beta series until the end of the company?

Well - I don´t think so, but that´s just a guess. When I´m talking to this guy next time, I´ll ask him.
Beta drivers have been in stock as NOS quite a long time after Coral ceased to exist - I think, because these fullrange drivers with their large cabinets went out of style, replaced by multiway-speakers with their more "technical approach".

Regards

Thomas

P.S. To whom it may concern, I´ve done a complete set of measurements of my Coral Beta 8 pair - that´s the SPL curve in a DIN baffle.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26276628/Coral%20Beta%208%201%20frequenzgang.png

Perhaps "technology" is the wrong word, then.
What I meant was that the materials & manufacturing methods that made Coral Beta 8's didn't just vanish, so why hasn't someone leapt into the gap to provide drivers with similar capabilities that mere mortals , or at least those of us with families, can afford?

I'm not sue what a pair of coral Beta 8's cost back then, perhaps someone can tell us, and then we can allow for inflation ... to see what is around today for the same money.

That maybe will tell us if we're being dudded by some of today's suppliers.

cheers

Doug
Hi folks. Glad to see your interest in Coral Betas.
I bought my Beta-8's in Copenhagen, Denmark, Europe in 1974 at a price of 335 DKK each - but have no idea of the dollar price by then.
Unfortunately I blew both of them some month ago (aided by my 30 watts NAD C-730 receiver - at full power i'm afraid) - and am still looking for someone to repair them... :O(
Cheers from Bimmer in Scania, Sweden

Hi folks. Glad to see your interest in Coral Betas.
I bought my Beta-8's in Copenhagen, Denmark, Europe in 1974 at a price of 335 DKK each - but have no idea of the dollar price by then.
Unfortunately I blew both of them some month ago (aided by my 30 watts NAD C-730 receiver - at full power i'm afraid) - and am still looking for someone to repair them... :O(
Cheers from Bimmer in Scania, Sweden
I was told by my beloved wife that back in the 70's a Dollar cost at the most 10 DKK. So if inflation is about 6 times, the price of Coral Beta 8" today should equal 67*6=402 $ or 296 € (the pair) - and by then VAT was not even invented !! (another danish invention I'm afraid )
:eek:(

Greetings from Bimmer (the Dane)

I was told by my beloved wife that back in the 70's a Dollar cost at the most 10 DKK. So if inflation is about 6 times, the price of Coral Beta 8" today should equal 67*6=402 $ or 296 € (the pair) - and by then VAT was not even invented !! (another danish invention I'm afraid )
:eek:(

Greetings from Bimmer (the Dane)

...your missing one 0
s...t never mind :D stupid me, it was a long and hard day

The light cones of fullrange drivers are particulary sensitive to reflections through the cone be it from the driver itself or the box. The Coral driver have a very open basket with the "legs" sideways minimizing reflection. Alnico magnets are usually deeper but with smaller diameter than current ones, this also reduce reflection.
Coral had sound engineering behind them not patents and if they had they would have run out by now (the patents).
I am sure that Seas, Peerless, Eminence and other competent manufactures could either make "Beta 8 Lasarus edition" or even better drivers. The crux is could they make enough money to motivate it?

Maybe I could contact Audax to see if there any details left (or if someone has the all the production details) maybe, just maybe I could have them produced again. We are having close contacts with one of the largest speaker production facality.

The only problem to me is that the MOQ would be 200+

Rudy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.