Why Class A? Wasting power is something of the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are suffering too from climate changes. Not as much as from the hurricanes and tornados in USA, but we started, in Italy too, experiencing some unusual and dangerous "effects".
I agree with what you say: even here we have people proud to burn (since they can pay for it) a lot of gasoline in their SUVs.
For sure I don't know if we have more Class A amplifiers that in the USA. Me I build only Class B amplifiers ....

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Ohnoes, the SUV issue raises it ugly head once again...

If I could ride my Vespa to work everyday, I would. Just that they are terrible in the Utah snow.

Nature is never Democratic nor Discriminant. It cares not if you are rich, poor, healthy or sick.

And Gore should have won the Nobel Prize years ago after he invented the internet.

A all the way off course! :D

My (small) house is heated with electricity so it does not matter if I heat it with the ugly radiators or my class A amps. Sumertime I don't lisen very much and I'm thinking about using a PWM or chipamp during the hot months.

Been using the LC audio Zapsolutes for a decade and right now I'm building the ExtremA from Bruno Putzeys and Sander Sassen.

Electrical power can also bee viewed as clean power becasue to 99% it comes from water-power and nuclear-power*. My CO2 (and more) polution comes from driving my car and other modern activities.

*Clean as long as nothing goes wrong off course. Like a melt down or a truck transporting nuclear wastes crashes.

/Peter

I find the question ridiculous.

Who cares? If it were only as easy as just classifying amps by efficiency? The poster wastes power every time he types on his keyboard, even posting his original message & all subsequent replies. I'm just pointing out that he makes wasteful choices just like we all do. I'm not saying one waste is OK so more is better, not in any way am I saying that. I'm saying he brings up choices so I'm pointing out his own on the same subject.

IMO the only time efficiency matter to audiophiles as obsessed as most here are, is when it causes either uncomfortable heat in the summer or jacks up their AC bill too much.

My 2c.

Oh, another thing. The support for the claim that the original post was a personal (though very low caliber) shot across the bow of Dearest Papa's beautiful ship is this:

It was posted in dearest Papa's forum! If it was, as the poster apparently wants readers to believe, a neutral post regarding Papa, it would not have appeared in Papa's forum, but rather in a nuetral forum, one either such as a sports bar or some uber-generic/non-specific audio forum.

IMO the post's sum total usefulness is/was to engender ill-will & or waste time, no more no less.

When anyone's choice is between two different electrically operated devices, in any & all ways identical in function except that one is more efficient, any sane person will choose the more efficient. To presuppose such a scenario will ever exist in high-end audio amplifiers is (fill in the blank).

Even the post title makes no sense: "Wasting power is something of the past." For who? The author?

The Plinius importer told me within the past week the huge & wonderful SA-250 burns "two-thousand watts" (yes he was asked to repeat it: "2000 watts") in pure class-A mode. I think it was about 100W in AB mode. I don't know too many audiophiles that would kick that amp outa bed no matter where they live. You just leave the nitrous (class-A) turned off when not listening...or turn the amp off when not in use as long as you can warm it up before listening....

Re: energy in class A

daly41k said:
Energy is always an interesting subject regarding Audio:
My mother at times use to call me a bottom less pit of worthless information so I will share some:

3. According to most quantam (sp?) theory -- The human body has enough potential energy as a 40 megaton hydrogen bomb, we just can't figure out how to use it. Come on fusion. dave

Have you seen the the movie "The Matrix"? ;)

-David

Oh, another thing. The support for the claim that the original post was a personal (though very low caliber) shot across the bow of Dearest Papa's beautiful ship is this: It was posted in dearest Papa's forum! If it was, as the poster apparently wants readers to believe, a neutral post regarding Papa, it would not have appeared in Papa's forum,

Papa?

An epigonal follower from the United Arab Emirates!
Seems a habit in that region.

I already stated that my intend to question the merits off Class A biasing was in the light of current designs from other well respected solidstate designers like Krell, Levinson and Rowland. In the past the all relied on top notch performance with pure 'Class A' designs like the KRS-200, ML-2 etc...
Now they implement plateaubiasing and ICE power Class D.

If you can't question/debate such a things on a forum even at the forum of "His Master's Voice" as you put it, then what's the use of fora anyway?

Ever heard of the Forum Romanum?

ps At the moment I operate a pair of Levinson ML-2's one of the most musically satisfieing amps I heard in the 20 year experiencewith highend gear. Must be the generous amount of Class A biasing in the output stage
;)

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: energy in class A

dw8083 said:
Have you seen the the movie "The Matrix"? ;)

Of course the best part about the Matrix was the near-visualization
of Gibson's trilogy and short stories.

The weakest element was the concept of humans as batteries.

Considering Gibson's view that AI's would be unfathomably alien
in their thinking, it would be more likely that a future AI might
have its own interpretation as to what is best for humans.

:cool:

Wasting power is something of the past.

In my opinion it depends on your idea of good audio. It would seem that we aren't at all concerned about blowing mega bucks on a big screen TV when in most cases a 19" would do fine. So what would prompt someone to purchase that mega TV? Maybe that person feels that they would be getting the ultimate in viewing pleasure. The same can be said and is true of class A amplification. It delivers a realm of pleasure that cannot be had from say a digital POS.

The bottom line for me would be that I purchase or DIY what I darn well want and to heck with the tree huggers and killowatt watchers.

Class A rules!

BrianEno said:

Papa?
An epigonal follower from the United Arab Emirates!

epigonal: an undistinguished follower

BrianEno said:

Seems a habit in that region.

Perhaps you'd like to explain that, because I would take that as a racist slur.

And bear in mind that according to the diyAudio Rules and Moderators Statement, Malicious intent will not be tolerated and Discussions of politics, ethnicity, religion, or other divisive issues are not permitted.

I appreciate you feel people have perhaps reacted a little fervently to your original post, but that comment seems uncalled for.
:(

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
well .......

I decide to use amp with small efficiency .......

paradox is that I sometimes use preamp which is burning more energy than mated amp ....... all that with whomping 100+db , if I choose that

so what ....... is that carte blanch for me to go on some other forum and ask for justification - not of their preferred technical solutions, but of their personal preference and taste ??!

so - this topic is complete BS....... not horse one, but human - which is worse

also .......... I'm also follower ........ by my choice ;

wise follower have inner sense for BS .

it isn't crime to be follower or anything else ; crime is if you are dumb , doesn't matter what - follower or something else

besides - seems that like nobody else , Papa gives enormous material for studying his personal (human) approach to DIY crowd ; what I conclude is pretty simple :

a. he like when ppl like him ( completely (nice) human characteristic)

b. his answers are mostly oriented to urge you to push green button of your brain in "on" position ( his most prominent answers are haiku formated ; his longest posts are mostly answers to someone who is or complete greenhorn with evident good will , or (contrary) complete waste .......... in my always modest opinion)

somewhat (from b. ) I don't see that he want followers . he even don't count them as whole stage,btw.

hehe ..... seems that I'm more and more like Gray ........ mumbling for own pleasure primary (words needed for explanation approx. 10% of written ones )......... (that's also completely human characteristic ) :devilr: :clown:

Status
Not open for further replies.