Why are OMNI speakers not more popular?

the theory about why they are no good is a 30year old song, or more
its like a rap song on repeat

The same is true for the opposite I guess :) The problem is that psychoacoustics didn't advance much in the past decades for something really new and unique to happen. So any concept is recycled over and over again because all of them have their merit - and drawbacks.

What opposition? I just described the status quo.

status-quo-Markus ;)

@tinitus - Markus didn't like the bass of Beolab, problem is that Beolab dealers are not audiophiles, so to speak..., and to make things worse they are told to pump up the bass correction at max position as it pleases generally the consuming crowd, and the bass was probably screwing up the rest

Last edited:
Is there anybody in this discussion who is actively using an OMNI Speaker?
Where OMNI would mean 360° radiation horizontally (at least) and at least 1 m distance to all walls (maybe with the floor as exception). Carlson-type speakers who sit in the edge between floor and a wall illuminate only a quarter of full space - so no reason to call them OMNI.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
It was tongue-in-cheek.

My understanding is pretty simple. The topic of the thread is "why aren't they more popular?" A few folks have tried to illustrate reasons "why."

Lots of you have made arguments advocating omni designs, but what you've forgotten to do is help us to understand why you think they are unpopular. You're telling us they are great, but when dismissing or countering our arguments, you forget the most important part, which is what you think the real reason is that they are unpopular.

errrrrrr....... reread the title - "why aren't they more popular?" That does not equate to your twisting of the term "unpopular". The question is - why are they not more popular.;)

As mentioned by several - omni speakers are in fact fairly popular - but they are not as popular as conventional speakers. You could say the same thing about OB's or di-bi pole speakers as there are not a lot of them around either and thus they are not as popular as the conventional "box" speakers sold to the masses. Same for ESL's and magnetic planer speakers -

The rest of the discussion comes down to listening preferences - wants - and needs.

Last edited:
errrrrrr....... reread the title - "why aren't they more popular?" That does not equate to your twisting of the term "unpopular". The question is - why are they not more popular.;)

Oh, right. That is a little "glass half empty" isn't it?

The question still stands, though. I'd really like to hear what some of you who like omnidirectional speakers feel the reason is that we don't see more of them.

As mentioned by several - omni speakers are in fact fairly popular - but they are not as popular as conventional speakers. You could say the same thing about OB's or di-bi pole speakers as there are not a lot of them around either and thus they are not as popular as the conventional "box" speakers sold to the masses. Same for ESL's and magnetic planer speakers -

The rest of the discussion comes down to listening preferences - wants - and needs.

Aren't we really just talking about a conventional speaker, the only difference in reality is that it's allowed, or designed to radiate in all directions?

In my head, I can quantify the reasons why some people don't like a different "type" of speaker, but what we're really talking about isn't a different tech, but more a radiating pattern, as "omnidirectional speakers" can be made out of boxes or ESLs alike, right?

Is there anybody in this discussion who is actively using an OMNI Speaker?
Where OMNI would mean 360° radiation horizontally (at least) and at least 1 m distance to all walls (maybe with the floor as exception). Carlson-type speakers who sit in the edge between floor and a wall illuminate only a quarter of full space - so no reason to call them OMNI.

I'm using a pair, though they are closer to the wall than 1 m since I can't tell a difference from positioning further from the wall.

All in I find them quite insensitive to positioning, even if I block the direct output they sound basically the same.

Attachments

• omni.jpg
    omni.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 696
I'm using a pair, though they are closer to the wall than 1 m since I can't tell a difference from positioning further from the wall.

All in I find them quite insensitive to positioning, even if I block the direct output they sound basically the same.

I can tell the same

be prepared however to read here that You obviously like objectively bad sound and haven't got even a passing interest in accurate reproduction of recorded music

I can tell the same

be prepared however to read here that You obviously like objectively bad sound and haven't got even a passing interest in accurate reproduction of recorded music

I guess I'm flawed in the way that I prefer to emulate the sound of musicians playing in my room rather than a recording studio ;)

How are the tweeters wired on those?

Nothing fancy, if I remember correctly they all operate in the same phase.

I guess I'm flawed in the way that I prefer to emulate the sound of musicians playing in my room rather than a recording studio ;)

That would be wonderful if we captured it in that manner, but we really don't.

It's kinda like when they first introduced stereo recordings. It was a great idea, but the debate raged on because they weren't sure what to do with the left channel. Suddenly, we've got drums and guitar on the left channel and bass with vocals on the right. Great idea, but sucky tech.

Then they figured out how to mic it and bam! Now we have recordings that convey breadth, depth and height.

What I think we're doing with omnidirectional at this point is quite similar. We've got ways to get sound to radiate in all directions, but what we're doing is artificially creating a bunch of information by simply radiating the original signal out in a fan and bouncing it off of our living room walls.

The idea is great, but I don't think it's going to be even slightly accurate until recording tech decides to catch up to it. It's just like artificial DSP. While it may be pleasing, we can't really accuse it of being accurate, can we?

That's what a lot of people prefer but they forget that most recording and mixing engineers do NOT strive for spatial realism. Acoustically treated control rooms prevent spaciousness from happening. Stereo recordings are a cultural phenomenon like symphonic orchestras and concert halls.
So why insist on driving a F1 car on a dirt road? Just because you like driving on a dirt road so much? The car was made for something else.

Last edited: