why are old school amps worth so much?

benzola:
Often thought about building my own "satellites with a sub" system out of these pieces for home audio, but have been advised against it. I would like to understand this more clearly,

Prejudice, mostly. Car speakers are typically 4 ohm, and home amps like 8 ohm speakers. It's an easier load to drive, requiring less current.

Many home amps are happy at 4 ohms, however. My old Proton doesn't sweat at 2 ohms.

You could make a nice sub/sat system with the Bostons, IMHO.

BTW, nice stash.

Back in the day, that Yamaha cassette deck and it's siblings had the best high-powered output I'd found in a deck.

tomtomjr said:

Does anyone have any good 70's or early 80's gear to show?
Don't see much of it on here. Post some pics...

More like early to mid 80's...

Alphasonik A-265 and MA-2035
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Inside Alphasonik MA-2035
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Alphasonik 4" plates

Babb 4"

1/2 pair of H/K CA260's

Late 80's:
Orion 3100SVF along with early2125SX and GX's in the 930

from a couple of pages back in this thread...
Jamesbealca said:

The 3558 is my favorite old school amp it is rated @ 4 x 40W (0.02%THD, 20-20kHz.
The strange thing is that when bridged, the power is rated at 2 x 140W???
Does this mean that they label a 75w x 4 amp as a 40w per channel just so the specs are cleaner at half power and to give the impression that it is a "Class A". It even claims so right on the amp.

One question for any Alpine guys out there- In the brochure, the 3527 claims to have 0.04% THD. -I have 3527s and 3527v. they look like each other except the "s" has acoustic compensation. The box for the "v" advertises 0.08% THD on it. does anyone know if there is a difference between the 3 models.

Original 3527 at rated power (25Wx4) into 4 ohms is at 0.08% THD, and into 2 ohms is 37Wx4 at 0.3% THD. Those numbers didn't change significantly, if at all on subsequent models.

The V model traded the molex connectors for screw terminals, and the S added the EQ. Those were the only significant changes I noticed.

jol50 said:
3558 likely makes 40rms @4 ohms and 70 @2 ohms. Since bridged is 2 ohms its 70+70=140.

Bingo!

A couple of notes on this amp.
- Full power into 4 ohms is at 0.04% THD, and 0.2% into 2 ohms.
- Like most other Alpines from this age there's no current limiting.
-"Small signal class A operation" (IOW, it ain't really class A) Like most or all other Class A car amps, it's only operating in Class A mode up to a certain output. That output level is a bit higher in these "class A" amps than in normal class AB operation. I like them anyway and choose to be deluded.

Spec sheet for the 3558 from Alpine's '88-'93 Product Technical Guide :

tomtomjr said:
Hey Tim,
I sure like those Alphasonic Plates and the Babb's... COOL! Don't have either of them in my collection. Babb's are getting real hard to come by anymore. I keep getting asked for them by other collectors too. Should have stocked up on them way back when...

Thanks tomtom.

Alan Babb, last I heard, had gone to work designing speakers for Eminence. There's an old short thread in the full-range forum about lack of information on them, and Alan spoke up.

But the original Babb speakers are essentially still available. DC Gold is the manufacturer now, and they appear to be only upraded a bit and sold as the "Classic" series from DC Gold. Prices are no crazier than they were in the 80's.

The surrounds on mine have dry rotted while sitting in the box for 20 years, so I've had contact with the owner a couple of times. He's been a charm so far.

The German (HECO) made Alphasoniks are my babies, and I'm torn between enjoying them in my daily driver and saving them as they are. Any input appreciated.

wow what a collection

tom tom, your photobucket collection takes the cake!

I've been offline for a week getting a new job (fingers crossed) ,a nd then getting trapped in an airport after all the flights out to Chicago were cancelled (grrrr).

Then to take the cake, I was trapped in Cincinatti at 7am CST, needing to be in Milwaukee at 8 am CST to meet customers who were coming into my lab! Opps! believe it or not, I made it by 10:15. Unreal, the wildest week I ever had. Hopefully it will be the best job I''ll ever get!

Please resend your info to lgvenable@gmail.com. I'll call and talk about what you have in Zapco, and waht I might be able to do. 100 pieces of Zapco, man that it a record isnt it?

Tim

You don't have any Z220's stashed in your closets do you?? If either of you run into them, I'm buying.

TomTom that one last week must have been a short auction, as I check every day, and I never saw it, except for the two days I was preparing my interview presentation.

Regards to the Fellow Zapco addicts...
Larry

larry

I looked for it too after I emailed you. Guess someone offered him $ to end it.
The wild Zapco auction of last week was the Power Supply for the PX/AEX eq on the Bay. It went for $100+ . For an old style PS (round cable) . I picked up several on there from $5-$10 in the past 10 or so yrs. Crazy money. I think I am going to sell off some of my Zapco eq's this weekend. Plus a lot more of the RF collection. Try to anyway. Everyone seems to be broke lately. I will resend info. Good luck on the new job...

Re: wow what a collection

lgvenable said:
tom tom, your photobucket collection takes the cake!

Tim

You don't have any Z220's stashed in your closets do you?? If either of you run into them, I'm buying.

Yep, tomtom has the motherlode. Looks like what I expect Mecca to be. I can't even think about it.

And yes, I do have a pair of Z220's :D. Both are first version, not II's and unadulterated. I probably like them more than you would like to have them, but feel free to drop me a line if you're interested.

Also have a 150L, a 151A, a 200A, (all three with ESM's) and 3 AXi's- two are new with warranty cards and test certificates.

Re: Re: wow what a collection

tsmith1315 said:

Also have a 150L, a 151A, a 200A, (all three with ESM's) and 3 AXi's- two are new with warranty cards and test certificates.

Anything I have that you might need for all those old dusty 200A/151's?

Also, I found something you need Tim. Would match your Alpha plates.
See item 380089691712
Perfect match. You would be styling. :cool:

Anything I have that you might need for all those old dusty 200A/151's?

Siblings? Preferably twins.

AND THEY'RE NOT DUSTY! I keep them on an altar above my head while I sleep. I may even make a crown out of them to wear out on formal occasions.

Actually, they are all in great shape and complete 3-pcs except for the 150L input plug. Got a spare or source for them? Hmm, maybe the 150's ESM is a newer model with the wrong logo, I don't remember.

I'll get around to taking more pics one of these days.

I'd love to have a Px or PEQ, too. But right now ain't the time for buying *my* toys.

And then you post a loaded BRS-1... That was on purpose, wasn't it?

Man, I haven't seen one of those in a while. The rack was a luxury back in those days. The A-501 was before my time with them. The A-265, A-255, A-240, A-225, and PEQ-7 was their lineup when I got on board in... '83?.

I think I have a 255, 265, a couple of 2055's, a couple of 2035's, an EX-3 and a P-2 quasi-paramteric.

But no BRS-1, 501, 240, or EX-2.

Yep, that was on purpose. You're testing me. :dodgy:

You would be styling.

As if I'm not already, wearing the Zapco crown.

Just talked to a guy at a pawn shop here, he bought a basket of amps for $50. One was a KAC 9020 I think, the old black brick. A newish viper 1100 5ch, a pioneer 2ch, and another amp plus some speakers. He thought it all worked, wow. Thought about buying the kenwood but have no use for one, and have 7201, 7202, 9102D sitting here plus a 8020.

I only keep around amps I might use, thought that does not explain all the amps here. Don't even want to try a Zapco or I might want to have a few around.:rolleyes:

Punch 75, 2 hours, 250339395388

Yeah gold blocks noise...that is a good one.

I don't follow MTX, have a blue thunder pro 754 I should let go but that is not an old amp.

Some old Zapco PS 200...:) 200286675226

Made in USA Cerwin Vega 700rms broken 180313200409 but has newer style terminals so wonder how old it is.

tsmith1315 said:
I have a sneaking suspicion that a couple more complete amps may follow that one home!
Seems to be a good time to buy if you can.

Great time to buy. Only problem is being in surplus sales, and without many buyers here lately, my purchases have to be kept to a minimum. Maybe King-Tim can pick up some of the complete ones for his "Royal Court" . They are going cheap!!!

Also, on the plugs for the 150 L/H series Zapco's. I am working on a conversion for them, and also a conversion for the Zapco early round plug PX and AEX. Will keep you posted.