why are old school amps worth so much?

BOSS related to TARGA?

I have a couple of TARGA HEXFET 2CH500 2-channel amps. Different PC boards inside, and slightly different heatsinks because the power transistors are mounted differently and I think one has a single 40A fuse and the other 2 x 20A. One of them worked for a while, then stopped. Not violently. The other was as-is from eBay, but doesn't have anything visibly fried inside.

I don't suppose there's a schematic kicking around for this amp, or a BOSS equivalent? :) I can't quite get motivated to reverse engineer 'em, although probably just looking closely at what the inverter chip is or isn't doing would reveal a lot.

I'm also not sure what I'd do with them, but it would in a small way strike a blow against the force of entropy in the universe, or something.

I Am An Idiot said:
Does anybody have a Rockford Power 200 or a Power 360 that they are willing to part with? Both units from 1983 to 1985?

Are you referring to these? Seems like someone in Louisiana asked me the same thing a few months ago.
P1010017.jpg

I Am An Idiot said:
2of the 3 in the picture are the ones. Were his initials B.D.?
The 360 is next to the 650, and the 200 is on top. I won't give out the initials, but there are 3 people in Louisiana I know of that collect RF. I am assuming that you are one of the 3.

The Rockford Fosgate collectors are growing in numbers. The amps are still fairly inexpensive and are easy to find most of the models. Mint, or new in box are nearly impossible to find though. The 360, 200, PR-235, PR-7000, and VI are all very hard to come by. I only know of one 200 and one 235. I am sure someone one day will be cleaning out their garage and find a few more.

The rarest RF amps I have come across are the 4 prototype amps that Jim Fosgate had in his personal car. Heavily modified from what the finished product was. I have several of these same amps that are production models, and these 4 are a lot different from them. From what I can tell by looking at them, it was set up to be a 9 input system using 4 amps. One 4-channel, One single-channel , and two 2-channel. They have a lot of extra knobs, RCA's instead of DIN, and still have all the handwritten labels on them. Might be the first mobile surround sound system ever.

1017071540.jpg

I have a 200 dsm with one bad channel... Also a four channel power with the fan shroud, don't remember if its a 300 or 650. The idiot I got it from painted it. Something's wrong with some of the outputs I believe. I started tinkering with it a few years back and hung it up.

amc32 said:
any whole or parts for Concord (Highly Modified,Sanyo Based)Amp.
I had a 100w sanyo way back and thought it sucked. One day someone on a board was saying they were pretty good. :confused: The ones with vertical fins on the sides, a friend of mine still has the EQ that came with it. I told him he plays with the bass knob too much. Think he got rid of the amp not sure.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

As far a the sanyo versions go,I have about 4 of them. 2 2-channels and 2 4-channels.They are sort of primitive in design,but I know plenty of people that swear by them.They are really two versions of this design based around STK-0049 and STK-1049 (power pack) output IC's.If you ever come across a Concord you will notice how similar they look from the outside.But internally its like comparing a cockroach to a spider.My problem is finding parts,the only supplier I'm finding is MCM,and they want way to much for parts.As far as the your friend,if he still has the amp and pre-amp I would be willing to take them off his hands if its not to exspensive.

He is still using that EQ in his old car, of course it is just in storage anyway. I'll ask anyway when I see him.

I bought an STK084G from this place for a Blaupunkt, amp still didn't work but no surprise if something else was bad too and....I need to get it back out and finish fixing it. The IC was shorted from PS to speaker, did not burn the new one but no sound. Should get another for the other channel not sure why I only got one.
http://stores.ebay.com/littlediode-usa

Some are worth it but some are not IMO I mean...I like the old school PPI Sedona amps but I couldn't get one if I even wanted to as the specs on the Sedonas say the Input Sensitivity range from 0.2-2.0 volts. That is way too low and I couldn't use that amplifier with my 5V headunit. So I'm just SOL because these are old school. I tried a old sedona amp with my 4V HU before and it started clipping :smash: Some old school ones should just stay on the shelf :rolleyes:

I run near all old school amps except for subs. I never have problems with higher voltage HU but I don't always max the HU out either. That is only time you will get max voltage. If you have amp gain at 0 and it is clipping before other amps then yes you have too much input. It should play louder too, or it is just weak.

Reactions: 1 user